Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
2023 supply antenna president ss9900 Mobile power call callsign 2022 sign Mckinley list meter 9900 6900 chart lincoln ALINCO software Sirio anytone frequency yaesu Baofeng display
QRZ Database

VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3366
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : North Manchester
Equipment Used : crt 6900n - midland 705d -

wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Empty
PostSubject: VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL   wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2019 12:23 am

Just acquired a venom hi-gain 1/2 wave silver rod thru Amazon. Delivered very quickly and no probs erecting same two days ago. Came to it tonight and used the multi 2 and Binatone on it for about two hours. Started off as I left it with a SWR of 1.2:1. Max power (measured with SWR/Power meter so know it probably won't be that accurate) of 10 watts output. Realised that when I keyed mike(s) (both radios) no reaction on SWR meter or power indication. Checked all patch leads - OK. Went to isolated aerial and checked for continuity between 259 centre connection and ground and got a direct short. Can anybody help as to what has happened and if any possible damage to rigs/aerial?
Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL   wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2019 9:03 am

I'm not familiar with that particular make of antenna but many 1/2 waves (and nearly all 5/8s) have a matching coil across the coax at the antenna feedpoint for matching purposes which will look like a DC short. If there was a fault at the antenna end (eg if the vertical element has somehow been disconnected from the feedpoint - this has happened to me before) you will still see some power going up the coax through the power meter, but your SWR will look very high.

There are a couple of suspects - one is that the antenna is faulty, but also that the SWR/power meter is playing up. You could try a few things - dummy load on the back of the meter and see what it indicates when you key up; try a different meter; check DC continuity between the antenna element and the middle of the coax socket. And still the most common issue of all with SWR meters, check you've got the radio and antenna plugged into the correct sockets on the meter!
Back to top Go down
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL   wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2019 12:42 am

Thank you for that. Checked for correct coupling to SWR meter on 3 separate ones and all correct and showed no movement. Showed a mate today and fired it up to find a very high SWR that I was able to bring down to 1.5 with a tuner. I'm still waiting to hear from Sigma/Amazon as to what they want me to do. Don't fancy sending the unwieldy lot back but I suspect that the coil has become detached somehow. Can't understand the varied performance though. Checked the radios used on a mag mount on my car and they were working OK. I was worried that with a 'dead short' I'd blown the output but it seems OK. Thank you again for your response - wait for developments from suppliers... (New to the forum and CTDX so can't find your name/call sign to mention you)
Back to top Go down
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL   wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2019 12:59 am

I can only say I was very impressed with Sigma. Technician rang me and went thru what had happened and I included the fact that I had actually opened the bottom cover where there is a balancing coil. I couldn't find anything wrong but the technician was excellent. He told me to send the bottom section back to Sigma where he would examine it and if necessary make repairs. I sent it off at my own expense and included return postage - altogether £6. Within four days of sending the technician got back to me on mobile and said that he had found the coil to be damaged. He couldn't make out what had damaged it (delivery or me - which I can rule out) but he had replaced it with a complete new coil and housing. Sigma were not going to make a charge. I got it back within two days of him contacting me and immediately erected it - perfect SWR on 19. Also 'getting out' OK. Farthest under the conditions was about 10 miles - FM @ 4 watts. Thank you Sigma credit where credits due
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL   wave - VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VENOM 1/2 WAVE SILVER ROD HI GAIN AERIAL
Page 1 of 1