Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
display software callsign power president yaesu anytone 6900 2022 sign call meter 2023 Sirio lincoln antenna supply Baofeng ALINCO ss9900 Mckinley frequency 9900 chart list Mobile
QRZ Database

Wideband Modification

Go down 
+8
Gert 19CT006
saltire
26TC62
Matt86
Victor
whitenomad
Sgt Bilko
Silverbone
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Silverbone

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Southport
Equipment Used : Baofeng UV-5R

Wideband Modification  Empty
PostSubject: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi

What does Wideband Modification mean and what does it actually do.

Thank you

Gary
Back to top Go down
Sgt Bilko
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sgt Bilko

Call Sign : 108 ct 302 - mm0ibe
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Prestonpans. East Lothian
Equipment Used : SS9900

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 10:17 pm

On an amateur HF radio it will only transmit on the designated amateur bands.
The wide band modification allows it to transmit on the full coverage of the radio.
Most users get it done so they can use the CB / 27.555 etc etc.
Depending on what radio you have, it can be an easy mod or quite difficult.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Silverbone

QTH or Location : Southport
Equipment Used : Baofeng UV-5R

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 7:09 am

Hi Paul

Thank you for the reply, I understand it a bit more now.

Gary
Back to top Go down
Sgt Bilko
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sgt Bilko

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 8:40 pm

Everything you need is in here.

https://www.mods.dk/

You will have to log in. It's free.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
whitenomad

Call Sign : M0MUU
QTH or Location : Uk
Equipment Used : grantII tentec jupiter

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 1:12 pm

Wide-banding modern equipment is not a good idea. It can be viable with old equipment and above 144Mhz.

With modern/new equipment.
a) invalidates all warranty
b) in order to comply with regulations, legally sold CB and amateur equipment has to pass the CE tests which includes tests to ensure in-band use only. Some manufacturers build in protection against out of band use.
c) can affect re-sale value of equipment
d) Even though one can remove links and diodes to wide-band, the firmware can often without warning lock-up and "brick" the radio, especially on modern rigs like the 991a and 7300 - there is different firmware and motherboards for different regions.
e) The in-built filters are so sharp - one can, and people do burn-out the filters transmitting out of the bands for which the radio was designed and built for.

How can I say this? - I work in the industry and with the manufacturers. Often wide-banded HF radios are damaged needing a new main board. Even for a legitimate multi-region application (e.g. on a boat needing both European and US band capabilities), usually it means two separate regionalised rigs with different main boards and firmware.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Tut, tut, naughty boy. Widebanding?!

You'll be having the BR68ers choking on their egg sandwiches! lol!

Nice to see the old scare stories still doing the rounds Wink

Right, I'm off to play music, wide band FM on the old 27.7812....somewhere near as dammit, with me Yeasu! lol!

(Before anyone spits their dummy from their pram, that's a lots of "LOL's" up there!)

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Call Sign : 26ct2767
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Swindon
Equipment Used : Yaesu ft818 , yaesu 8900r , yaesu ft950, stalker 9

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 6:38 pm

I only widebanded my 818 for testing purposes as i do not have a analyser so on 1w i can tune to find the swr dip . I know technically not alowed but on 1w i dont think i would be a problem , and its only friefly key down .
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 7:04 pm

I wouldn't even think twice about it Matt Wink

So long as what you are doing is of benefit or interest to yourself and without detriment to anyone else, it shouldn't matter.

Heck, you can legally pipe your flipping internet around your mains wiring wiping out anyone with an interest in radio recievers chance of reception nearby! Now that's a "wideband" problem as many would agree!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Call Sign : 26ct2767
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Swindon
Equipment Used : Yaesu ft818 , yaesu 8900r , yaesu ft950, stalker 9

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 11:37 pm

Well said ! Very Happy

Uploading a YouTube video but you will see how I use it for a analyser lol but wouldn't dream having a qso ... it's not enough power 😂😂

Joking aside the 818 is a great reciever. That a kl203 and a t2lt on a hill be a great station .
Back to top Go down
Sgt Bilko
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sgt Bilko

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 7:56 pm

I personally don't see a problem with the wide band mods. I've done lots over the years for myself and others. As long as you don't run high power out of band, the filters will be ok. Never had any problems with any radio I've done.
I know you're not supposed to use HF set for 11mts etc but most amateurs do.

Paul.

Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 9:27 pm

My Yaesu 891 was widebanded by the retailer who sold it to me with a full warranty. There are plenty of people on 11m on various tired old SSB rigs who are a hundred Hertz off frequency, carrier leaking, "other" sideband only 10dB down, splattering, overdriving their non-linear amp, etc (and a few with new "export" radios which are just as bad). None of the dealers are keen to talk about it for understandable reasons, and indeed a couple of them won't sell a widebanded rig, but at least a third of the market for HF radios is for 11m. Radios don't have ham band bandpass filtering, there is no issue. Just don't try and modify a radio yourself unless you know what you are doing.
Back to top Go down
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North east scotland.
Equipment Used : Stryker 955/Gainmaster .AnyTone778V/U(crap dont buy one!), icom 7300.

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 10:17 pm

Seen some real butcher jobs on you tube , modern smt boards especially .I watched TRX bench do one and he was using a £400 set of weller tweezer soldering irons and when you see it being done by a pro then he makes it look easy , using the right tools for the job .You need good eyesight and a steady hand for the modern boards .
Back to top Go down
Gert 19CT006
Gert 19CT006

Call Sign : 19CT006 / PD0CT
QTH or Location : Hillegom, Holland (15 miles south west of Amsterdam, near to the coastline)
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A & Yaesu FTdx-3000D, both with Yaesu MD-100 mikes, HyEndFed sloping wire for 10, 15, 20, 40m with HyEnd Line Isolator, Diamond X-200N for VHF/UHF, Anytone AT-779UV & Diamond NR-770R (for mobile use) and a Yaesu FT-4XE handheld

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 4:39 pm

I'm about to get my HAM licence (within 3 months) after being a 'freebander' for 40 years. My new rig is going to be a Yaesu FT-991A, which I ordered with the 'Full TX' modification. The warranty will still be in tact, just as long as I'm not butchering it myself.

Hey hell... the fact that I'm becoming a HAM doesn't mean that my love for 11m will suddenly vanish!

Order your new rig with the modification done by the supplier and everything will be fine. Over here (19 div) it will only cost as much as € 22,50. If you have any doubts about the warranty, just ask them what the terms are.

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 4:47 pm

26TC62 wrote:
Radios don't have ham band bandpass filtering, there is no issue.

Yeah actually some of them do although they may be called pre-selectors. Entry level ones might not but when you start getting to mid and upper range they do. My Flexradio had filters for each individual ham band.

Using HF rigs for 11m makes absolutely no sense. They don't hear any better than a CB does on 11m, if someone is transmitting a wide splattering signal a HF rig can't magically get rid of RF from that on the frequency you're listening to. And given that many HF rigs being used on 11m are either old or entry level ones then the dynamic range at 5kHz or 10kHz spacing is no better than a CB. Also many CBs are more "on frequency" out of the box than most ham gear not fitted with a TXCO. TRX Bench has tested CBs that have been 10Hz or less off frequency out of the box. My TS480 needed a TXCO installing to manage that.

In fact when it comes to UKFM because HF radios use narrow deviation you sound quiet to those using CBs where they're normally wound up more than that.
Back to top Go down
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4319
QTH or Location : Aylesbury
Equipment Used : Ic7300

PostSubject: Wideband   Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2022 1:38 pm

oh I like a good wideband 👍
Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 12:34 am

Back in the day, when 5MHz was experimental, I obtained an NoV and had both my FT-847 and FT-100D wide-banded, at the time none of the Manufacturers would perform this for reasons of warranty, particularly so for 4m operation, since the FT-847 is seriously inefficient on that band, and does produce a spurious signal at ~45MHz, if operated in 4m at maximum power the components will overheat and fail, and current draw being extremely high, I never operated for more than a second or too, and thought better of it, and always used minimum power, which used minimal current.

There are modifications that can be made to the Transceiver to remove this spurious signal, but the overheating at high power would eventually cook the components.

In addition you can put the 4m output, which is through the 6m SO-239, into a Project Diplexer, to attach to both 4m and 6m antennas, I plan to do this, plus the modification to the internals.

However, I was operating on 5MHz, and was concerned about spurious signals on a primarily military band with 3kHz spot frequencies, so used an oscilloscope and a dummy load to look at the output, which was entirely clean at those frequencies, which meant I was seriously disappointed in the major distributors that they would not even entertain such a mod for an Amateur holding an NoV, so undertook the mods myself.

The FT-100D has no 4m capability, but was also clean when using it on 5Mhz for Portable operations.

As people have mentioned, for as little as £20 these days you can order a new transceiver wide-banded under Warranty these days, so things appear to have changed.

So it really depends on the transceiver, and how silly you are with your own equipment, and whether you care about RFI.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 8:09 am

It's always worth remembering that running a HF radio at full power on 11 meters FM will probably fry your low pass filters. The mods can be done but operating out of design specification can carry risks to your kit.

73 Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 8:48 am

GaryWilson wrote:
It's always worth remembering that running a HF radio at full power on 11 meters FM will probably fry your low pass filters. The mods can be done but operating out of design specification can carry risks to your kit.

73 Gary.

True, hence buying the Albrecht for 11m here, although I understand it will do 10m and 12m, I won't be using it for that.  It'll be on an antenna switch and using the SG-235 though, since negotiation to erect the 5/8 Silver Rod I bought recently is still yet to start, I mean I have successfully negotiated erection of the Butternut HF-9V the other day, so not yet pushing my luck,ha.

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2022 7:45 pm

Exactly the same here Wayne, I have a few different but dedicated CB radios for 11 meters and my HF set for the ham bands.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wideband Modification
Page 1 of 1