Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» another pic for you all
Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeToday at 5:54 pm by peewee norfolk

» pic for you all
Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeToday at 5:53 pm by peewee norfolk

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeToday at 5:51 pm by peewee norfolk

» 11m conditions
Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeToday at 12:11 pm by glenn dog

» CRT space U/ space V
Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by 26CT1074

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeToday at 11:01 am by stephen Gunrunner

» EU conditions have started
Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

Keywords
meter Sirio supply ss9900 call display antenna frequency software anytone yaesu 2023 president 2022 Mckinley callsign 9900 ALINCO 6900 Mobile power list sign chart Baofeng lincoln
QRZ Database

Top end HF sets for sale

Go down 
+3
Sydthecat
BigTone
Sgt Bilko
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sgt Bilko
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sgt Bilko

Call Sign : 108 ct 302 - mm0ibe
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Prestonpans. East Lothian
Equipment Used : SS9900

Top end HF sets for sale Empty
PostSubject: Top end HF sets for sale   Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 10:02 am

Anyone noticed on other radio sites with a for sale section ( HRD, Radio Classifieds etc ) how many top end radio's are for sale.

I mean the amount of Yaesu FTDX 101' s etc that are newish to the market that are for sale.

Are operators buying these just to try out or are the radio's to complicated for them.

It was the same when the Icom IC-7300 hit the shelves. Some were back up for sale within weeks.

Buy a new radio and sell it in weeks you will lose a fair bit of cash ie - 7300 is £1200 ish new. You will get £800 - 900 back.

Are you not better waiting for a 2nd hand one to come up then buy to try. If you don't like then you may get most of your cash back.

And remember that ONLY Icom warranties are transferable.

Opinions please.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
BigTone
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : G8YMW or 26CT4498
QTH or Location : Lincoln and Finningley
Equipment Used : CRT 9900, Icom 705, Kenwood TS570, Icom 910

PostSubject: Re: Top end HF sets for sale   Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 2:17 pm

More money than sense?
Trying to keep up with the Jones' then find they're boracic lint?
Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: Top end HF sets for sale   Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2019 8:34 pm

Yep 👍 Having far to much desposable income is a dangerous thing 😂 You would think before spending 3 grand on a rig they would take their time and really make sure it is the right rig for them

Back to top Go down
Yagi 3

Times Thanked : 0

PostSubject: Re: Top end HF sets for sale   Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2020 9:34 am

Robbing Peter to pay Paul, is another look at this. A fair few have no cash available to them at all, but do have a regular income and will buy top end gear on finance £1500 rad make a couple of payments then flog it for £800 to pay a previous debt which is getting desperate to be settled A continuous cycle of debt for a fair few.

There are always this guys so called mates lurking on the air waiting to make him a ridiculous offer in his desperation to stay afloat that particular month. Radio pimping is more popular thsn you think.

A lot do as above said just order a nice bells and whistles radio then find out at thrir own cost its too complexed or menu driven and go straight on to buy the next one. A bit of resesrch is needed, but bargsins can be had.

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Top end HF sets for sale   Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2020 1:54 pm

Many people buy radios thinking they can "magically bring signals out of the noise" that their current radio can't hear. They get said radios, put them on the air and find they're no different.

All radios made in the last 30-40 years are more than capable of hearing below the noise floor anywhere on planet earth. The latest Yaecomwood flagship is no more capable of hearing weak signals than a £300 FT757 or TS180.
Back to top Go down
BigTone
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : G8YMW or 26CT4498
QTH or Location : Lincoln and Finningley
Equipment Used : CRT 9900, Icom 705, Kenwood TS570, Icom 910

PostSubject: Re: Top end HF sets for sale   Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2020 7:53 pm

The moral of the story.
Save your pennies and get the aerial system right also nail the noise sources

"Melodies heard are sweet, noise unheard is sweeter"
Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Top end HF sets for sale   Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2020 9:25 am

The layout of most modern top-end sets is designed to get as many functions on the front panel as possible. Very little thought appears to be given to how an operator might use them! The ergonomics of virtually all modern big radios are far poorer than their equivalents from 30 years ago. £600 for a checked-over TS-940 still looks like a good deal to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top end HF sets for sale   Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2020 10:50 am

I can't afford one, I have had mine 20+ years still works as it should for HF/11M.
Sold S/K stuff from friends and family still have some to sell. as and when the time comes.
I have no interest in keeping up with Jonesy hi.hi.
mark.
Back to top Go down
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North east scotland.
Equipment Used : Stryker 955/Gainmaster .AnyTone778V/U(crap dont buy one!), icom 7300.

PostSubject: Re: Top end HF sets for sale   Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 10:49 am

I bet there is a high % of radios bought on the chukkie its so easy  a few clicks and its yours .I would only pay mid hundreds for a radio if it came from a dealer with a 6 month warranty , buying from e bay  with most of the ads saying no returns i would not chance it .
At the moment on ebay  there is a TS 950S  for sale(£990) but if you look at the pictures the back of the radio looks as if  its been left in a sand storm , the bloke could not even be bothered to clean the thing wtf is that all about !!!
Icom 7300 guy has just put the price up from £930 to over a grand  and says no tranferable warranty , why would anyone buy this when you get a new one for £1199 + extras thrown in .
Its a minefield  out there and you need to do your homework  just remember some of these large  snazy looking radios might be 20+ years old and with no warranty = no thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top end HF sets for sale   Top end HF sets for sale Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top end HF sets for sale
Page 1 of 1