Forum FAQ
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group on your social bookmarking website
Latest topics
» Old callsign recovery
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 9:09 am by johnboy

» CB AM use
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 6:17 am by Pagan

» New Member (Call sign request) (Issued)
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 6:10 am by StevieG

» South Coast PMR net report
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeToday at 1:44 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:54 pm by ace_1801

» Charlie Tango.. France
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:09 pm by Steve

» What size t@k brackets ??
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:26 pm by Alan Pilot

» ace_1801 intro (Issued)
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:17 pm by Victor

» Call sign check (sorted)
Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:32 am by GaryWilson

Most active topic starters
Sydthecat
Brand new and without a set Vote_lcapBrand new and without a set Voting_barBrand new and without a set Vote_rcap 
Badgeruk1980
Brand new and without a set Vote_lcapBrand new and without a set Voting_barBrand new and without a set Vote_rcap 
Firetrap
mickyboy
rabbi
Matt86
Master Virus
Ultimitmale (John)
Sgt Bilko
Delboy
Keywords
wave ss9900 Buxton file callsign message sign Sirio request base Mckinley silver list frequency president bash division Zetagi antenna yaesu call Messages lincoln alan midland gainmaster
January 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Classified Adverts

Who is online?
In total there are 33 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 31 Guests :: 2 Bots

Alan Pilot, johnboy

Most users ever online was 230 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Brand new and without a set

Go down 
AuthorMessage
R-Tron75

QTH or Location : Nottinghamshire
Equipment Used : None yet

Brand new and without a set Empty
PostSubject: Brand new and without a set   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2019 9:43 pm

Hello all,
I have toyed with the idea if getting a CB ever since I rode about on my Raleigh Grifter with a car Aerial taped to the back and a button on the front that sounded 4 types of siren.
Now I can afford one (well I'm thinking of asking the wife for one for christmas) and I don't know what is out there or if I would even be able to make contact with anyone.

My questions are;
What do I need to spend as a complete beginner?
Do I need a licence?
How easy is it to make contact with other users?
Are mobile sets any good these days? Is anyone else using them in the roads?

Cheers in advance.
R-Tron75
Back to top Go down
Pagan

Pagan

QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Call Sign : 26CT2069
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900 / CRE 8900 / Motorola T82 Extreme (PMR)

PostSubject: Re: Brand new and without a set   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2019 11:59 pm

Hi R-Tron, welcome to the club.

In answer to your questions.....No, you don't need a licence for CB. If you want to become a "Ham" you will need to take an exam and get a licence.

You will need a radio, power supply and an antenna.
Radios cost anywhere between £50-£300 depending on which kind you want (Multi-mode / Export are the best as they let you use all modes and are more powerful than a basic CB radio).
A power supply will cost between £50-£100 depending on size....the more powerful your radio is, the more powerful your power supply will need to be.
Antennas are available from about £35 upwards (home-base or mobile).
There are lots of other "accessories" you might want to buy....SWR meters (for tuning your antenna), spare microphones (one is supplied with the radio), etc.

How easy is it to contact people?....that depends mainly on your location and antenna. If you happen to live on high ground and have a large (1/2 wave or larger) antenna you should have no problems. Some places have many users, some don't but even with a small(ish) antenna you should be able to contact others within 20-30 miles. I live in a flat and have to use an indoor antenna but I have no problems getting contacts up to about 30 miles away (and much further, including all of Europe when conditions are good).

Hope this is helpful...if you have more questions just ask as there's always someone on the forum who will know the answers. See the link below for Knights Electrocom....many club members buy their equipment here:

https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d106.html
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
Admin
GaryWilson

QTH or Location : London
Call Sign : 26CT1836 / Ham 2E0GGQ
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Brand new and without a set   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2019 5:22 am

Hello R-Tron75, welcome to the forum.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
StevieG

StevieG

QTH or Location : SW London
Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , 26-TG-987
Equipment Used : Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII, CRTSS6900N, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Antron99 Fire up , Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: Brand new and without a set   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2019 7:27 am

Hi R-Tron75,  welcome to the CTDX group 
73s
Steve.
Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
Admin
Sydthecat

QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 3000, MD200 mic ,Vortex 4 ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: Brand new and without a set   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2019 11:13 am

Hi Tron and a very warm welcome to the forum

As always some great advice given from Phil

This hobby should come with a government health warning as it can seriously damage your bank balance

Craig 73
Back to top Go down
R-Tron75

QTH or Location : Nottinghamshire
Equipment Used : None yet

PostSubject: Thanks formthe warm welcome!   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2019 9:23 pm

Thanks pagan and thanks all for the welcome.
Next stop... kcb.co.uk.
As far as bank balance goes, any hobby that can take place indoors and doesn't attract a payment plan/contract/subscription is all good. As long as I get the right stuff first time round it sounds reasonable.
I'll take a look and come back with some ideas if that's ok.
I think the other half might stretch to 300 quid if I'm good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brand new and without a set   Brand new and without a set Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brand new and without a set
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group :: New Member Introductions-
Jump to: