Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» another pic for you all
What HF band Icon_minitimeToday at 5:54 pm by peewee norfolk

» pic for you all
What HF band Icon_minitimeToday at 5:53 pm by peewee norfolk

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
What HF band Icon_minitimeToday at 5:51 pm by peewee norfolk

» 11m conditions
What HF band Icon_minitimeToday at 12:11 pm by glenn dog

» CRT space U/ space V
What HF band Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by 26CT1074

» CW sidesweeper, new project
What HF band Icon_minitimeToday at 11:01 am by stephen Gunrunner

» EU conditions have started
What HF band Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
What HF band Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
What HF band Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

Keywords
6900 Sirio Mobile supply ALINCO Mckinley yaesu display lincoln 2022 frequency call president list meter chart Baofeng power 2023 anytone antenna callsign ss9900 9900 sign software
QRZ Database

What HF band

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Silverbone

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Southport
Equipment Used : Baofeng UV-5R

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2019 5:52 pm

What is the best HF band for a new pass to start on? And what set up would you recommend without going mad?
Thank you
Gary
M7GJJ
Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: Re: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2019 6:35 pm

Hi Gary and for me 40m was the best band to cut my teeth , always a bit of activity 24/7 , also 10m but atm very little activity due to us being at the solar minimum

20m is also a busy band but you will be up against the big boys and can be very difficult being heard using 10w

Craig
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: Re: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi Gary,

I can only give my view point as a SWL. A lot of listening can go a long way.
(Although I have been considering a foundation ticket of late)

I love listening to 80m as usually you can actually hear both sides of the conversation! Wink
I hear a lot of new passers here and amazed how they cut through on QRP limitations. Sometimes they're clearer than the big gun operators as they're not overloading my radio's front end.

As Craig pointed out, 40m can usually be exciting as well as 20m. I often hear continental and stateside contacts especially during "grey-line" operation and if they are 'beaming' to each other the UK usually sits in line of sight making for interesting contacts.

The best thing is these bands are interesting all the time, no hanging off until sunspot peak. I usually hear intercontinental contacts most every day.

The thing that's nice are the operators that will cherry pick the QRP operators over the big-guns, (which usually means new licence holders), as it's more challenging and for them, keeps amateur radio going with the new blood.
Some of the 'big-boys' are blasting out enough power to overcome their antenna deficiencies but can't hear the QRP's!!

As for a setup, it depends on your view.
For me I like the fact that the "super new cool" HF sets soon become jaded yet retain their awesome qualities. This means eventually lower second hand prices and I've seen fantastic HF sets go for less money than SSB CB's!
Some of the old sets, (boat anchors and smaller homebase), are often passed on as 'faulty' but is usually a case of operator deficiencies....they just can't operate the damn things!

HF antennas can be all sorts of things and yet work well. As it's flipping difficult to make a Yagi beam for 80m long bits of wire go a long way Wink
I have a Ham friend who's made loads of contacts using a steel core washing line! Really Very Happy I even joked about how high up his washing line was until he pointed out it was his antenna!

You could even think about picking up a bit of Morse......at 10 watts the world's your oyster Wink

Flip, making me think about getting my ticket again Wink Dammit.

Best of luck with whatever you do Gary. Enjoyment makes it all go a long way.

73's
Victor

It means nothing works and nobody knows why ...
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Silverbone

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: Re: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2019 8:55 pm

Thank you both very much for your help and advice, Victor please go for your foundation licence I have only had my call sign for a few weeks but it’s an amazing hobby and for what you already know you should fly through it.
Gary
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: Re: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitimeThu Dec 26, 2019 9:11 pm

Cheers Gary, much appreciated and you're very welcome.

After putting it off for too many decades I may finally do it.
The exam isn't the problem, just some of the stuffed shirt a-holes you have to deal with to get there Wink
I may just grit my dentures with a grimace and get on with it!

I do often crave the idea of being part of those interesting conversations rather than being an observer.

All the best to you,
Victor

It means nothing works and nobody knows why ...
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Reaper

Call Sign : 26CT036
QTH or Location : South Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Radio & antenna

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: Re: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitimeThu Jan 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Hi Gary,

Congratulations on passing the foundation exam.

40M will probably be best to serve your apprenticeship, nearly always a bit of activity and you can achieve a lot with a little (10W).

80M is a good place to listen and learn but not always best to speak as some of the 'old guard' can be ignorant / unreceptive.

Whatever you choose good luck and enjoy
Back to top Go down

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: Re: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2020 5:30 pm

Hello Gary.
Welcome to the Amateur bands hope you keep enjoying the HF bands.
For me over the years 40m and some 10m when open. I have a half wave dipole for 40m and vertical for 10m does me fine simple to use.
I am not far from you near Preston I am sure we could work on 2m and maybe on 10m one day.
good luck and enjoy.
Mark.
Back to top Go down
Silverbone

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: Re: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2020 6:17 pm

Thank you Mark
I am not on HF at the moment but hopefully when I have saved up and bought myself what I need which is another thing I am not sure what to get yet so just keep reading up on the topic. I am on 2m and 70cm I have a dual band Anytone and a Diamond X50-N attached to the side of my home so hopefully we will speak to each other soon.
Back to top Go down

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: Re: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 pm

ok Gary.
I monitor 2m during the day at different times. when it comes to a HF radio just sold my spare base one.
but it depends on your budget keep me posted on what you fancy.
Mark.
Back to top Go down
Silverbone

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: Re: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2020 12:24 pm

Thank you Mark

My call sign is M7 GJJ.

73 Gary
Back to top Go down

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: Re: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitimeSat Jan 25, 2020 10:25 pm

ok Gary,
heard you today on 2m but could not get to the shack at the time.
another time,
mark.
Back to top Go down
Able 7
Able 7

Call Sign : 26-CT-3340 Ham 2E0OSS
QTH or Location : Barton St David, Somerset
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A, Ziegu G90, Anytone DMR, Uniden 300, CRT 6900N, CRT 2000, Yaesu FT-65, Baofeng UV5R, Alinco DR 735 and various other amateur and CB transceivers both old and new. Antennas- Hustler 6 BTV, Sirio Gain Master, Watson W-50 and a few home made ones. Always experimenting in this field.

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: Re: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2020 7:58 pm

Hello Gary.
You will have to have a listen around on all the bands.
Depending on conditions and time of day. 10m, 20m 30m are usually best during the day then they tend to drop out as the evening goes on then 40m, 80m and 160m come into play in the afternoons and throughout the evenings due to the amount of charge left in the charged particles in the ionosphere ( charged by the sun' sunspot activity and ultra violet light and other sun and atmospheric factors ). Both 40m, 80m and 160m are more reactive to a lesser charge thus these frequencies remain active later on and 30m and 20m drop out.
2m goes lively when the conditions are wright and there is a rise and the signals travel along the troposphere or tropospheric duct which is good fun and you end up a couple of hundred of miles away. I have noticed this when it has been cold and wet and then it warms up and hey presto signals are in the duct.
Good fun enjoy all frequencies. Radio is a wonderful world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What HF band Empty
PostSubject: Re: What HF band   What HF band Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What HF band
Page 1 of 1