Forum FAQ
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking digg  Social bookmarking delicious  Social bookmarking reddit  Social bookmarking stumbleupon  Social bookmarking slashdot  Social bookmarking yahoo  Social bookmarking google  Social bookmarking blogmarks  Social bookmarking live      

Bookmark and share the address of The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group on your social bookmarking website
Latest topics
» They're still there!!!!!
Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeToday at 3:03 pm by NUBSTER

» President McKinley EU
Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeToday at 2:24 pm by SUPERSTARS

» User Profiles
Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeToday at 1:36 pm by NR512

» Newbie needing lots of help (Issued)
Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeToday at 1:29 pm by NR512

» Call Sign request
Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeToday at 1:09 pm by NR512

» New user request Call sign (Issued)
Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeToday at 12:02 pm by Jeff 26/9CT2020

» The Song Game
Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeToday at 11:21 am by Razz229

» How far can you get on SSB?
Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeToday at 9:44 am by chazwozza

» South Coast PMR net report
Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeToday at 9:44 am by Razz229

Most active topic starters
Sydthecat
Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Vote_lcapRecommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Voting_barRecommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Vote_rcap 
Badgeruk1980
Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Vote_lcapRecommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Voting_barRecommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Vote_rcap 
Firetrap
rabbi
mickyboy
Andybron
Matt86
Master Virus
Ultimitmale (John)
Delboy
Keywords
division yaesu alan ss9900 list bash base frequency Sirio Zetagi Albrecht president sign Messages 3000 file midland lincoln Mobile request Buxton antenna Mckinley call callsign Baofeng
February 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Classified Adverts

Who is online?
In total there are 45 users online :: 7 Registered, 0 Hidden and 38 Guests :: 1 Bot

AndyW, G0RQQ, Kaosss, NR512, NUBSTER, Reaper, SUPERSTARS

Most users ever online was 230 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gixxer

QTH or Location : Sandwell
Equipment Used : Various

Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Empty
PostSubject: Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb   Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2020 10:29 pm

Bought a old solid state world band radio 6 months back and I have really enjoyed going through the frequencies but a couple of the short wave frequencies bands don't pick up anything. So it's slightly faulty .
But I'm interested now.

I'm looking for recommendations for another more modern radio , with ssb . If I'm honest I'm not looking to spend hundreds .is their any good radios up to 70£ max I think I should consider please.
Wider the frequencey range the better please.
If I do have to spend a little more I could consider it too.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Pagan

Pagan

QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Call Sign : 26CT2069
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900 / CRE 8900 / Motorola T82 Extreme (PMR)

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb   Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2020 6:47 am

Back to top Go down
Victor

Victor

QTH or Location : Bedford
Call Sign : 26-CT-3228

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb   Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2020 8:19 am

A lot of the old commercial shortwave bands are pretty much dead nowadays so your old radio may not be actually faulty....just nothing there to receive Wink

Decent communications receivers were and still are relatively expensive, even older second hand units command quite a price. (Or at least above the budget you mention, "expensive" is a relative term).

The biggest bang for buck receivers are SDR, (software defined radio), usually available as a USB 'dongle' and software, so long as you don't mind being tied to a computer they have a lot to offer. They're cheap, cover a wide range of frequencies, (LW to UHF), and being software controlled have a lot of demodulation options, scanning, frequency input, waterfall display, etc.
I have seen people run these type of units from laptops, tablets and even android phones so a lot more portable than first thought. At sub £20 prices and upwards they're highly affordable for what they can achieve.

For a truly portable, battery operated radio experience most modern receivers are based around DSP, (digital signal processing), technology. For the budget you mention something like the Tecsun PL-600 could be a good buy. This radio has been around for a few years, (more modern and more expensive models are now available), but has a good range of options for short wave listening.

There's too many options to give you firm recommendations of particular radios, it depends on what 'floats your boat' Smile

For me personally, SDR and DSP technology seem to suffer a lot with noise from other electronic/electric devices and can require careful setup, but people are successful with them.

I'm more of a tuning dial, coils inside sort of guy Wink No matter how fiddly they can be there's nothing like listening to radio waves with a good old valve receiver(!) It may be old fashioned but the clarity of reception has to be heard to be believed.
Most will never experience such a thing unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Victor

Victor

QTH or Location : Bedford
Call Sign : 26-CT-3228

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb   Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2020 8:34 am

Ah b*gger....posted this after Phil's massive long eBay URL. Hope you can still read it Smile
Back to top Go down
Gixxer

QTH or Location : Sandwell

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb   Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2020 1:35 pm

Thanks for the ideas tips and links ,I will go through them slowly in a while.
I'm sure the radio is at fault. On one band it's low signals and distorted audio.
I had this on all bands ehen I attached a long wire to either vhf or sw it goes over sensitive and audio become so as I can't understand it.

The air band has white noise either end of vfo scale but nothing in between. However it will occasionally pick up what o believe is sir traffic maybe.
But theirs no back ground white noise at all.
So that's not right .it's like someone turned up squelch full.

It's a koyo same as grundig model 1770 at present.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb   Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommend a few good world wide band receivers with ssb
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Official Charlie Tango DX Radio Group :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Scanner Discussion-
Jump to: