Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:08 am by SangueG

» EU conditions have started
Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

» Ten on 10m FM - event 20th April
Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm by SangueG

» END FED QUESTIONS ..
Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
meter 2022 callsign Sirio frequency power ss9900 supply list antenna sign 9900 Mckinley chart display 6900 call ALINCO anytone Mobile lincoln software president 2023 yaesu Baofeng
QRZ Database

Whats the score with 11m nowadays?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Zodian01
Zodian01

Call Sign : 26-CT-3362
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Stretford, Manchester
Equipment Used : SS7900,Whistler TRX1, Baofeng 1702, CRT Space-U, HackRF 1, Radio Shack Pro97

Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Empty
PostSubject: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi.

Not 'twiddled the knobs' since I was a youth, using illegal American SSB rigs to DX on 26/27mhz. Was thinking of investing in a new set since retiring, but what's the legal situation today?

Regards, Zodian.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi Ant,

We now have the "Mid Block" for AM, FM and SSB and the 27/81 Muppet block for FM only. All legally available to use with "type approved" equipment. Fill yer boots!! Very Happy

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Zodian01
Zodian01

Equipment Used : SS7900,Whistler TRX1, Baofeng 1702, CRT Space-U, HackRF 1, Radio Shack Pro97

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2020 3:56 am

Hi Gary.

So I'm quite within my rights to install and use a 27mhz sideband rig without fear of a knock on the door? Awesome. Will ask the admin for a call sign, and cheerz for the reply.

Regards, Ant.
Back to top Go down
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Call Sign : 26ct2767
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Swindon
Equipment Used : Yaesu ft818 , yaesu 8900r , yaesu ft950, stalker 9

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2020 6:16 am

Correct , but if you start using the freeband frequencies, these are are not technically legal . Not known anyone to get a knock from Ofcom for a long time . In fact you don't need a licence to operate anymore but it's 4w fm/am and 12w SSB.

73 , Matt

Last edited by Matt86 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2020 6:21 am

Hi Ant,

Yes you are but you'll notice I used "Type approved" strictly speaking only radios approved for use in the U.K. are legal, however many people including myself own legacy equipment Cobra 148's etc which are not legal to use. The chances of getting a problem from Ofcom for using such kit is minimal but it's important to understand the risks.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2020 6:27 am

Matt86 wrote:
Correct , but if you start using the freeband frequencies,  these are are not technically legal . Not known anyone to get a knock from Ofcom for a long time . In fact you don't need a licence to operate anymore but it's 4w fm/am and 12e SSB.

73 , Matt

Sorry Matt, I thinks we were typing at the same time, have a great day mate. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2020 7:20 am

No problem Gary , good point about type approved rigs , such as a president grant 2 is type approved, many are not .

Cheers and you too .

73 , Matt
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2020 4:48 pm

Matt86 wrote:
No problem Gary , good point about type approved rigs , such as a president grant 2 is type approved,  many are not .

Cheers and you too .

73 , Matt

Yep, I think if we're giving advice it's important we are clear about what is legal and what isn't.

By the way I really like my Grant 2 it's a rubbish export rig when wide banded (mine isn't) but one of the better quality legal rigs. Very Happy

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 25, 2020 7:12 pm

Quite true , even though I do like freebanding , it's not all the end all .

For some time I been keeping a eye out for a ssb rig . Dare i say all my rigs i use or have been for ssb have been a icom 706 , icon ic 7300, yaesu 891 and which I still have is a stalker 9fdx with a stealth plate.

It's looking like a grant 2 or a alinco 135uk.

73 Matt

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 6:29 am

I have both the G2 and the CRE8900 (Alinco 135) The 135 isn't a bad radio but the audio sounds muffled to my ear, it's not so bad on SSB but on FM not to my liking.

I prefer using a C.B. for C.B. don't know why it just feels better clicky channels and all. There hasn't really been a killer 10/11 meter radio released for years now but if I wanted a decent export rig I'd probably choose the CRT SS9900 V4 because it will do 10, 11 & 12 meters.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 7:08 am

Yes im the same a chanalised cb with a readout and a hf rig for hf personally .

Agree with cre, I had the same rig ... oh and naff mics too and akward to swap mics over too .

Matt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2020 11:00 am

this is a type approved radio to look at.
It covers the legal bands and modes without modifications. 4W fm and 12W ssb
http://cbradiomagazine.com/Radio%20Reviews/President%20Grant%20II/President%20Grant%20II.html

mark.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2020 11:04 am

however you can train and do the foundation licence for the ham bands which many have done it is a doddle.
Back to top Go down
Zodian01
Zodian01

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2020 11:16 am

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the replies.  I bought a CRT Super Star 7900.  Not been able to try it out fully as I need my mate to come and fix my antenna to my exterior wall.  Have managed a couple of contacts with the antenna set up in my flat, so I'm hoping for much improvement when the antenna is installed.

I'll have a look at the foundation licence you mentioned

Regards, Zodian
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2020 2:46 pm

The amateur licence is well worth doing if you're into DXing. Even at the Foundation level of 10W that'll give you enough DX to keep you happy if you've come from CB and you'll be able to use bands like 20m that have DX all year round. It isn't long before you start to regard countries like Germany, France and Italy that you see as DX on 11m as being "local".
Back to top Go down
Zodian01
Zodian01

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2020 3:16 pm

Hi N.C.

How does one go about studying for and gaining the licence?

Regards, Ant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2020 12:39 am

Zodian01 wrote:
Hi N.C.

How does one go about studying for and gaining the licence?

Regards, Ant.
if you go into the training section lots in there on this site. but the RSGB website is always a good look for into and local clubs that run them.
I will provide links.
https://rsgb.org/main/get-started-in-amateur-radio/first-steps/getting-help-finding-a-local-club/

then this.
https://rsgb.org/main/clubs-training/for-students/
another read.
https://rsgb.org/main/clubs-training/for-students/foundation/

but this book or study online..Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Fd_lic10

The Foundation Licence Manual
for Radio Amateurs

by Alan Betts, G0HIQ

Syllabus 2019 Edition

The Foundation Licence Manual for Radio Amateurs is the RSGB course-book for those who wish to become radio amateurs in the UK. In line with the progressive three-tier UK licence structure, the Foundation Licence Manual is the first step in the natural progression to the Intermediate and Full licence.

This book sets out to provide the very latest information required to obtain a UK Foundation licence. Broken down into 15 easy to digest sections Foundation Licence Manual for Radio Amateurs covers all you will need to know to be successful in the examination. This book provides insight into technical basics, receivers, transmitters, antennas, feeders and propagation. There are details of the operating practices & procedures you will need to know alongside safety considerations, electromagnetic compatibility and licence information. The practical assessments are explained and there is a helpful guide to how to best approach the Foundation examination itself.

Written in an easy to understand style by acknowledged exams expert Alan Betts, G0HIQ the Foundation Licence Manual for Radio Amateurs is the ideal book for those coming to amateur radio for the first time.

ISBN: 9781 9101 9363 1

This book is also available on Amazon Kindle click here for that version
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2020 12:52 am

Or this online.
Online Training for Amateur Radio
Now that people can take the UK amateur radio Foundation exam online from their own home, what online training courses are available?

Currently we are aware of two free online Foundation training courses.
If you are running an online course not mentioned here please let us know.
The courses so far are:

• Foundation Online run by Essex Ham
https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/

• GM6DX Foundation licence course
https://gm6dx.thinkific.com/

On April 3, RSGB announced that Foundation Practical Assessments have been waived so candidates will not need to do them
https://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/rsgb-notices/2020/04/02/rsgb-to-introduce-remote-invigilation-for-foundation-exams/

The RSGB publication 'Foundation Licence Manual: for Radio Amateurs' is available in Kindle format at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foundation-Licence-Manual-Radio-Amateurs-ebook/dp/B07QS7C68V

The RSGB Online exam remote invigilation FAQ describes how to apply for an exam
https://rsgb.org/main/clubs-training/exam-faq/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2020 1:02 am

your nearest club is.
South Manchester Radio & Comp Club, G3FVA
Contact details:
Club contact: Ron G3SVW
Email: chairmansmrcc.org.uk
Telephone: 01619 693999
About South Manchester Radio & Comp Club:
A technical club with highly competent members, ideal for anyone learning or anyone wishing to conduct technical investigations. A fully operational shack and electronics workshop. Comprehensive library.
Training Courses run on regular basis.
Morse tuition also available.
Technical talks on Thursday evenings at 8 p.m.
Informal technical forum meetings at 8 p.m. on the last Monday of the month, but check website www.smrcc.org.uk for programme changes.
Regular NETS, see
http://www.smrcc.org.uk/club_nets.htm
for current schedule.
Club interests/specialities:
CW, QRP, aerials and propagation, equipment home construction, technical applications of computers, precise frequency generation and measurement, microcontrollers, digital modes.
Club venue served by public transport

Training and examination information:
Courses run on demand.
Highly qualified and experienced amateurs in our membership.
Examinations:
South Manchester Radio & Comp Club has an RCF registered examination centre
Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2020 8:18 am

GaryWilson wrote:

I prefer using a C.B. for C.B. don't know why it just feels better clicky channels and all.

73's Gary.

On FM in particular, a good 27/81 rig will nearly always outperform HF radios, where the FM is an afterthought or on "shacks in a box" it is set up for wider bandwidthon VHF. My Yaesu 891 is horribly unselective on FM, however good it is on SSB. My Amstrad 901 is better by some distance and my Icom R75 is better by a fraction more again.
Back to top Go down
Zodian01
Zodian01

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2020 10:35 am

Hi Starship. Thanks for the detailed reply. Will investigate the links you have provided.

Ant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats the score with 11m nowadays?   Whats the score with 11m nowadays? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats the score with 11m nowadays?
Page 1 of 1