Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» what radio do you wish you never sold
SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeToday at 10:04 pm by tspirawk@gmail.com

» First dx in 40 plus years
SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeToday at 10:01 pm by Nightprowler

» Antenna Required.
SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

Keywords
Sirio 2022 Baofeng 2023 call frequency yaesu president chart supply power meter anytone Mckinley ALINCO 9900 antenna display sign callsign list Mobile 6900 lincoln software ss9900
QRZ Database

SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS

Go down 
+2
Pagan
Blue Boy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3366
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : North Manchester
Equipment Used : crt 6900n - midland 705d -

SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Empty
PostSubject: SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS   SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2020 10:43 pm

I am venturing into the world of Ham radio (Covid19 permitting) and I am fascinated by the diy construction of aerials of which I have had some success with on 27mhz. I am now struggling with 2m and 70cm. I have followed some designs and instructions from t'internet and I can not get them to slot straight in to below 1.5:1 as they do but I wonder if it's a basic ignorance. I started to think about it a bit deeper and realise there might be problems because of measuring equipment - i.e. SWR meter which works perfectly on 27mhz - is it compatible with 2m and 70cm measurement? Do I need an antenna analyser? Might seem simple things to the amateur users but since I can't get to join the local club because of the virus I wonder if I can get any response on here. I don't mind a bit of mickey taking and the pointing out of the obvious if I can benefit from the replies...
Back to top Go down
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

PostSubject: Re: SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS   SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 12:19 am

Blue Boy wrote:
I am venturing into the world of Ham radio (Covid19 permitting) and I am fascinated by the diy construction of aerials of which I have had some success with on 27mhz. I am now struggling with 2m and 70cm. I have followed some designs and instructions from t'internet and I can not get them to slot straight in to below 1.5:1 as they do  but I wonder if it's a basic ignorance. I started to think about it a bit deeper and realise there might be problems because of measuring equipment - i.e. SWR meter which works perfectly on 27mhz - is it compatible with 2m and 70cm measurement? Do I need an antenna analyser? Might seem simple things to the amateur users but since I can't get to join the local club because of the virus I wonder if I can get any response on here. I don't mind a bit of mickey taking and the pointing out of the obvious if I can benefit from the replies...

I use one of these (mine is the Rigexpert AA-30 model for CB / 27 mhz frequencies). There are various models for different frequency-ranges and they are very easy to use. You simply connect it to the antenna co-ax, type in the frequency and then read the SWR (and other Info) on the screen. You can also connect the analyzer to a PC by USB cable and view the results there. Software is supplied with the analyzer but (depending where you buy it from) you may have to purchase the USB cable separately. These are usually available from any Ham radio shop and / or Ebay.....prices vary depending on model. See video at link below for a full demo.

http://www.mixw.co.uk/

Video of AA-30 Demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNd6cTohVU
Back to top Go down
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Call Sign : 26ct2767
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Swindon
Equipment Used : Yaesu ft818 , yaesu 8900r , yaesu ft950, stalker 9

PostSubject: Re: SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS   SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 5:21 am

I have a avair vswr meter that covers 0 - 200mhz I don't use 70cm much apart from the odd repeater but that's with a bought colinear so pre tuned .

Analysers are handy but costly for a good one . I have survived without one though .

73 , Matt
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS   SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 5:47 am

If you are using a SWR meter designed for 27Mhz it will not be accurate on 2/70.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS   SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 7:46 am

SWR meters usually have a frequency range. Mine does 0-30MHz and has a switch to then do VHF/UHF (100-500MHz, from memory) on the other range.

However, analysers are SO much more useful...and a little NanoVNA connected to a laptop with something like NanoVNA Sharp is an awesome little tool that will cost less than a good SWR meter!
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS   SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 5:54 pm

Blue Boy wrote:
I can not get them to slot straight in to below 1.5:1 as they do  but I wonder if it's a basic ignorance. I started to think about it a bit deeper and realise there might be problems because of measuring equipment - i.e. SWR meter which works perfectly on 27mhz - is it compatible with 2m and 70cm measurement?

No. Different types of resistor (carbon, metal film, wirewound etc) operate differently over a different range of frequencies. Your bog standard carbon resistor used in a CB meter can halve in impedance when it gets up to VHF, a 1k Ohm at 27MHz could be as little as 500 Ohms at 2m, which will skew the readings and CB SWR meter manufacturers aren't going to put in the expensive wirewound ones.

Quote :
Do I need an antenna analyser?

To put it simply, yes. One thing it can do which your SWR meter can't is measure outside of the range of frequencies your radios can transmit on which is invaluable for finding out just where something is resonant that is a fairly high SWR on the bands you want to use it on.

You don't need to spend loads of money on one though. There's loads of nanoVNA ones for sub £50 with a nice graphical display which will do the job.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS   SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2020 7:31 pm

43CT016 wrote:
SWR meters usually have a frequency range.  Mine does 0-30MHz and has a switch to then do VHF/UHF (100-500MHz, from memory) on the other range.

However, analysers are SO much more useful...and a little NanoVNA connected to a laptop with something like NanoVNA Sharp is an awesome little tool that will cost less than a good SWR meter!

I've got the nano VNA Jeff, best £30 quid I've ever spent!!! Very Happy

43CT016 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3366
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : North Manchester
Equipment Used : crt 6900n - midland 705d -

PostSubject: Re: SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS   SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2020 9:47 pm

Excellent - thanks for all the info back. I can be quite focussed now on what I want to do. Nice to have the support - thanks again...
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS   SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2020 6:46 am

GaryWilson wrote:
I've got the nano VNA Jeff, best £30 quid I've ever spent!!! Very Happy

Yeah, I had an older MFJ analyser too, but it topped out at about 170MHz for VHF.  No UHF at all, so useless for 70cm and our CB band here which is 477MHz.

So faced with spending fortunes on a RigExpert 600, or $100 on a NanoVNA, the choice was simple.

Particularly useful when playing with antennas that have a matching section, because you can see not just the impedance figure, but what it's made up of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS   SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SWR & ANTENNA ANALYZERS
Page 1 of 1