Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» First dx in 40 plus years
CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 4:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 2:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 2:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 11:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 7:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 7:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 9:34 pm by John123

Keywords
call ss9900 ALINCO antenna 9900 software callsign 6900 Mobile list Mckinley frequency lincoln 2023 display anytone president Baofeng sign Sirio supply power 2022 meter yaesu chart
QRZ Database

CB/Amature radios users?

Go down 
+26
53 Prefect
Markone
A5H5ATAN1C
Nick
stephen Gunrunner
Alan Pilot
The Doctor
2AL454
Bean
Pagan
Retroman
Greensleeves
Alan - Mirror Man
saltire
Radio Lilac
Radio Pixie
John123
GaryWilson
Matt86
Victor
NUBSTER
Cozzmik
Northern Crusader
kermit
Scan125
airfixpilot
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North east scotland.
Equipment Used : Stryker 955/Gainmaster .AnyTone778V/U(crap dont buy one!), icom 7300.

CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 10:14 pm

Cozzmik wrote:
GaryWilson wrote:
airfixpilot wrote:
Oh good god, what did I start.  Ok Ok, Cbers who have gone further in radio to better themselves to understand more about the subject of radio and how it works, good on them.  If they want to pass an exam ok.  If you want to just transmit and receive on CB fine.   I don't think its a THEM & US situation, because they are on different bands.  If they do merge, things may have to change and licence conditions may have to come into force. GOD OFCOM, who hold and regulate ALL licences, would I imagine try and find who are transmitting and what they are using weather be CB, Ham or PMR.  To find someone who has a radio is easy, just go looking for antennas on houses or cars.  Then check with the DVLA.  Then I suppose they would then issue a licence with conditions of transmitting powers to be used, CB used to be 4 watts max.  Regulated radio would help to streamline the bands and stop interference to other users, weather be adjacent channels, radio or Tv.  You would then be responsible for interference coursed, (if it was you) and sort it out.  if you were Bullish and don't sort it, your licence could be revoked, just like a Ham operator, and then Ofcom could conversate you equipment.

Just a thought
CT3533 Neutral

Don't worry David, if you think this is bad try posting "What's the best antenna Solarcon 99 or sirio Gainmaster" That one get's really good! lol!

Neither.......Vector 4000 beats them both,now prove me wrong (ducks behind sofa with hard hat on)

It most likley will from what i can remember they are fantastic antennas just a pity they are so big as i would have one up but my neighbours  aint that understanding .
I just logged onto a forum that i had not been on in 6 years and foo*in ell i just read 16 pages of  crap  about some  Foundation  bloke who was on the wrong frequency  , he has been reported to ofcom , they want him to have his licence revoked ect ect  and some comments like "rsgb  now have to contend with more bafoons" and a witch hunt  was  set in motion checked all over the internet for him qrz log books ect  holy moly Batman  imagine what they think of us on 27mgz. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
2AL454

Call Sign : 2-CT-167
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Huntsville, Alabama, USA
Equipment Used : AT-5555, FT-840, Ten-Tec Omni D

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 10:53 pm

CB and Amateur radio are different. One of the major factors that make CB what it is (at least in USA) is the fact that it is unlicensed. Actually as some may point out, in the US at least it is licensed by rule; that is theoretically true but in reality it is unlicensed.

When I first got into CB it actually was licensed, but most people ignored that rule.

I would not want amateur radio to become unlicensed, and will do my part to keep unlicensed people off our bands. But I would also not want CB to become licensed. I enjoy both, just the way they are.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 11:08 pm

With rules, regulations and a sense of authority, people can be quite sadistic/vindictive.

Just do a search on the "Milgram Experiment" for a terrible insight to what people are capable of.

'Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

Equipment Used : Stryker 955/Gainmaster .AnyTone778V/U(crap dont buy one!), icom 7300.

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 11:10 pm

2AL454 I hope you do not frequent the famous superbowl channel Very Happy
Back to top Go down
2AL454

Call Sign : 2-CT-167
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Huntsville, Alabama, USA
Equipment Used : AT-5555, FT-840, Ten-Tec Omni D

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 11:27 pm

No, I would have to add more alternators to my car to play on 6! Laughing
Back to top Go down
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 11:31 pm

A car would be of no use , a truck is more like it to carry all those battery's , ive seen the famous 666Stryker 955 with the 1kw add on and thats a tiddler but its not much bigger than the standard 955hp ,Also plenty of Hams using 2.2 kw amps ! you would think they would know better than to post them on you tube .
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 9:00 am

saltire wrote:
Cozzmik wrote:
GaryWilson wrote:
airfixpilot wrote:
Oh good god, what did I start.  Ok Ok, Cbers who have gone further in radio to better themselves to understand more about the subject of radio and how it works, good on them.  If they want to pass an exam ok.  If you want to just transmit and receive on CB fine.   I don't think its a THEM & US situation, because they are on different bands.  If they do merge, things may have to change and licence conditions may have to come into force. GOD OFCOM, who hold and regulate ALL licences, would I imagine try and find who are transmitting and what they are using weather be CB, Ham or PMR.  To find someone who has a radio is easy, just go looking for antennas on houses or cars.  Then check with the DVLA.  Then I suppose they would then issue a licence with conditions of transmitting powers to be used, CB used to be 4 watts max.  Regulated radio would help to streamline the bands and stop interference to other users, weather be adjacent channels, radio or Tv.  You would then be responsible for interference coursed, (if it was you) and sort it out.  if you were Bullish and don't sort it, your licence could be revoked, just like a Ham operator, and then Ofcom could conversate you equipment.

Just a thought
CT3533 Neutral

Don't worry David, if you think this is bad try posting "What's the best antenna Solarcon 99 or sirio Gainmaster" That one get's really good! lol!

Neither.......Vector 4000 beats them both,now prove me wrong (ducks behind sofa with hard hat on)

It most likley will from what i can remember they are fantastic antennas just a pity they are so big as i would have one up but my neighbours  aint that understanding .
I just logged onto a forum that i had not been on in 6 years and foo*in ell i just read 16 pages of  crap  about some  Foundation  bloke who was on the wrong frequency  , he has been reported to ofcom , they want him to have his licence revoked ect ect  and some comments like "rsgb  now have to contend with more bafoons" and a witch hunt  was  set in motion checked all over the internet for him qrz log books ect  holy moly Batman  imagine what they think of us on 27mgz. Very Happy

Ha ha Sam yes that's 100% behind the sofa kind of talk lol! And Saltire your right the vector 4000 is a monster I'm lucky to have neighbours that are fairly used to all sorts of antennas coming and going but I live in a S.E. London street and the V-4000 on the chimney pot might be a step too far!! Very Happy

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 9:42 am

Trouble is Gary a beam will trump the lot and the bigger beam will trump that and so on....until you get such a powerful station as some Hams do that the fun for me would go.

I now prefer to put calls out away from T5 on lower power to see if i get a contact and if i dont then so be it i am happy to listen..

Stacked beams and 400w plus is of no interest to the everyday CBer who wants to chat to his mate down the road and maybe some DX now and then.
Simple radio is how it should stay imho..
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 10:06 am

Love your radio attitude Sam, makes me smile Smile

Most CBers use setups that Hams would call QRP.
Simple antennas, low power, chat to a mate down the road and when conditions are ripe the odd DX. Lovely.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 11:23 am

Well I think the CBvHAM ,,, Man City v ManU will never go away, humans are tribal and need groups to belong too... Read Desmond Morris, The Naked Ape and the Soccer Tribe.
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 6:19 pm

Victor wrote:
Love your radio attitude Sam, makes me smile Smile

Most CBers use setups that Hams would call QRP.
Simple antennas, low power, chat to a mate down the road and when conditions are ripe the odd DX. Lovely.

Cheers pal,

I have come and gone from this hobby but i never sell up and always come back even if it is a short or much longer break.

There is something about CB that keeps me interested and while i have HF equipment and do from time to time swl the Ham bands that is enough for me,just listening..

Those who know me from the old original Charlie Tango know ive dabbled on 21/45m echo charlie bands also and many years ago had a broadcast music station on 6.600mhz AM..Buzby never got me...but now im strictly 11m
Back to top Go down
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 6:30 pm

Cozzmik you never been tempted to try the dark side Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 6:43 pm

saltire wrote:
Cozzmik you never been tempted to try the dark side Very Happy

Never.....

Too mint imperial and cardigan for me and the contests are a joke...5/9 on your way is not my thing and as i have been know to use the odd swear word when i get passionate about a subject i wouldnt go down to well there and using callsigns during a chat..whats that about.

Im a simple bloke who likes it simple..

You want the dark side try listening down on 6.6mhz where the die hard real freebanders go.Listen only of course but greek/irish fishermen/die hard Dutch ops and anyone else who love to stir it up..

Of course being a good op i have only heard rumours of this Smile Wink
Back to top Go down
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 7:16 pm

Since i realised a few years back you can listen to all these freq on my pc i do it all the time and am well aware what goes on  does not bother me in the slightest .
I know a few guy's who operate as hams  and  have done for near 20yrs  never sat a test in their puff  , the advantage they have is they live out in the sticks , never speak to locals , never use excess power ect just kinda keep under the radar , one of them showed me this box which he uses for cw you just type it into a key board and it sends it out as cw and  it will translate the incoming cw and show up as text on a screen trick bit of kit .He and few other use them on lower 27 now and again .
Skip rolling at the mo on 555.
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 7:37 pm

Fake calls on Ham bands still goes on i bet but hey thats up to those but its not for me..

Yes ive seen that CW kit,i bet that gets the old die hard Hams really annoyed as they had to do it old school..

Fun fact> My Father was a Ham so i grew up with Ham radio and i still have no interest..

Yes 11m been buzzung today,if you hear us darn sarf put up shout on the shoutbox..miss talking to you guys up there.
Back to top Go down
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 7:43 pm

I am listening on web based sdr which is based in holland , heard a few Tango Mike's and lots of Irish stations .
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 8:01 pm

How do they ensure you dont have the book in front of you ?
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 8:26 pm

Cozzmik wrote:
Trouble is Gary a beam will trump the lot and the bigger beam will trump that and so on....until you get such a powerful station as some Hams do that the fun for me would go.

I now prefer to put calls out away from T5 on lower power to see if i get a contact and if i dont then so be it i am happy to listen..

Stacked beams and 400w plus is of no interest to the everyday CBer who wants to chat to his mate down the road and maybe some DX now and then.
Simple radio is how it should stay imho..

I agree Sam, if nothing else the price gets astronomical. My HF antenna is a long wire I can work across the pond and it still gives me a kick. It's no challenge for some of those big guns.

The C.B. band was wide open this afternoon. I was out in the car with my Grant 2 I had an hours conversation with a local pal. When I got home I flicked on the 450d and the .555 was buzzing apparently the french are all over the UK40 as of half an hour ago.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2020 8:49 pm

NUBSTER wrote:
@Gary  I noticed the Irish church services had started heard my first one of the year today ,when you start hearing them you know the bands will start going mad and the sporadic E has started

Hi Martin, I haven't heard them yet but yes I think the E season is now under way. I was just pleased to chat to my Pal up the road for an hour. No QSK's from anyone though. I hope you managed to get a few Hail Mary's in mate!! lol!

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 8:50 am

NUBSTER wrote:
Nah not a religious person lol , where in London are you cos I'm in North London

I'm on the south side of the Crystal Palace hill on the on the Penge/Sydenham boarder. I generally get out pretty well south and east but north not so good. I have spoken to Jake a few times up there in Highgate but he's in a particularly good QTH for radio.

If you're on the air at any particular time let me know and I can put the radio in the car and go up the the Palace I would imagine there's a reasonable chance of making the contact from up there. Very Happy

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2020 9:03 am

11M had a decent half hour opening into 68/29 div at around 8pm yesteday so a few contacts were made on ch19 ukfm and between 27,465 and t5 usb which was great fun.I did hear CADS on ch 20 uk fm which peaked my interest.
I did post about a repeater from Spain (confirmed) on ch 25 mids fm that i was using yesterday afternoon,hearing my own voice very strong bouncing back and chatting to Italy thru it..

Yes Martin i remember those days lol (good luck with the ticket)

And please guys dont take offence at my jibes about Hams being cardigan wearing sweet suckers as its just banter,nothing intentionally harmful meant..

Gary i can easily talk to your location so a sked is a must and we must get the shoutbox more widely used to arrange things or put up a post for a time to meet on air

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CB/Amature radios users?
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next