Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeToday at 4:58 pm by Badger

» First dx in 40 plus years
supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeToday at 4:53 pm by Badger

» 10m dxcc ......
supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
2023 6900 call ALINCO sign antenna frequency Mckinley 2022 yaesu list anytone power lincoln display supply meter Mobile Baofeng 9900 chart callsign president ss9900 software Sirio
QRZ Database

MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Roboed
Roboed

Call Sign : 26-CT-3490 ( Mr Jameson )
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : South West United Kingdom , City of Bristol , Withywood
Equipment Used : RANGER RCI 2970 Dx , Baofeng uv5r iii, Home Brew PMR 446 Antennas & Radio Shack - TRC 1080 AKA - Maycom EM 27, Sirio New Tornado Antenna

supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Empty
PostSubject: MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED    supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi everyone yesterday my Smart 2 regulated power supply stopped putting out 13.8 v at the front opened it up and put a voltage tester around, all the fuses are good, it has mains ower coming in fine , goes into transformer , comes out with 1 x 17.5 volts dc & 2 X 34.9 volts that goes to simple circuit board with 1 single large capacitor and and diodes and adjuster pot etc. And wired to a 2n3055 transistor from info from Google and YouTube videos I'm guessing that it's the 2n3055 transistor that is at fault I'm not really knowledgeable in electronics the power regulator was running on very hot day in sun for long period and just stopped working I was hoping one of you guys may have a better idea thanks for any info supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  20200511
supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  20200510
supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  20200512
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheRoboed
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED    supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 4:07 pm

Without being able to put a multimeter on it,test diodes and see if there's an input voltage to the regulator its not really possible to give a definitive "yeah its that" answer.
Back to top Go down
listener85
listener85

Call Sign : 26-CT-3477
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Worthing, West Sussex
Equipment Used : CRT Superstar 3900

PostSubject: Re: MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED    supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 10:33 am

Seconded... someone needs to work through it with a meter and check out the transistors. You could start by unsoldering the base and emitter of the 3055 and check it with the diode check range of a meter looking for a normal 0.7V ish drop from base to emitter and collector and infinite resistance between collector (case) and the pins (one way around).

Trouble is, its all going to be DC coupled so even if the 3055 is dead that may have been caused by whichever transistor drives it going short and killing it so really you need to work your way back through the chain. Check that old preset voltage adjust resistor too to make sure the wiper still connects.

A dead or dried up electrolytic capacitor is possible too but would have been unlikely to stop the output altogether.... if you find the fault it might be a good idea to change out the main smoothing capacitor anyway while you are in there.

Lastly, there might be a zener diode in there if the preset is only a fine voltage adjust, might be worth checking that too.
Back to top Go down
Roboed
Roboed

Call Sign : 26-CT-3490 ( Mr Jameson )
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : South West United Kingdom , City of Bristol , Withywood
Equipment Used : RANGER RCI 2970 Dx , Baofeng uv5r iii, Home Brew PMR 446 Antennas & Radio Shack - TRC 1080 AKA - Maycom EM 27, Sirio New Tornado Antenna

PostSubject: Re: MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED    supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2020 8:32 pm

Thanks guys for your reply, I've took out 2n3055 seems ok so now decided to wait for a professional who knows what they are doing to sort it out before messing it up further cheers any ways good luck happy radioing and 73's
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheRoboed
Kevin

Call Sign : 26-CT-3606
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : near Harwich Essex
Equipment Used : SS-9900, SS-360 original, maxcom-30E, Astatic 575 M6 mic , silver rod half wave Antenna

PostSubject: power supply    supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 11:23 pm

sometimes you may find a linear voltage regulator transistor like what was fitted in the old Bremi power supply's of the day this can also be the route of the problem. but I agree working through the board is the only sure way to find the culprit that's causing the problem bit by bit with a soldering iorn and a bit of patience and a meter ohh and don't forget a few cups of tea Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED    supply - MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY DIED
Page 1 of 1