Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Winter 11m Challenge - from December 1st 2023 to 31st March 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Intro - with question
Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeToday at 10:24 am by Rumblefish

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeToday at 8:00 am by SangueG

» First homebase (Issued)
Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeToday at 4:24 am by Victor

» Tank whip for homebase
Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 pm by Hendo

» Foundation licence passed!
Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:49 am by Al21

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:20 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 am by SangueG

» Returning Member / Callsign Re-Issue (Returning Member)
Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 10:56 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 9:05 pm by Razz229

Keywords
9900 2023 2022 anytone power Mckinley sign software yaesu callsign ALINCO display supply Sirio 6900 call antenna Mobile chart frequency Baofeng list lincoln ss9900 meter president
QRZ Database

Waiting For Santa

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MV Communicator
MV Communicator

Call Sign : 26-CT-4558
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Wootton Bassett
Equipment Used : CRT Superstar SS-7900, TTi TCB-771, Thunderpole Red Devil, Cobra M75 Power Mic

Waiting For Santa Empty
PostSubject: Waiting For Santa   Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 6:59 am

Yep, 52 years old and I feel like a Kid on Christmas Eve, my DHL Shipment from Knights CB arrives today, woke up at 5am in sheer excitement, a welcome bit of excitement after 8 weeks of this lockdown. It reminds me of getting my first CB back in the Christmas of 1981, a York 861 and DV27. I'm 14 again LOL! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.cbtvuk.com/
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

Waiting For Santa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waiting For Santa   Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 7:46 am

So c`mon what have you got ??

Or is it a secret?
Back to top Go down

Waiting For Santa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waiting For Santa   Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 12:30 pm

Same feeling back in 81, got my first FM rig, Harrier cbx, and loft twig set up, from am days, still had a New Formac 88 set up, happy days.
Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3550 Ham:- M7DEW
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Huddersfield West Yorkshire. UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-450D. CRT SS 6900n. CRT Micron

Waiting For Santa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waiting For Santa   Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2020 6:07 pm

Come on MV, tell us what you got.! Smile
Back to top Go down
MV Communicator
MV Communicator

Equipment Used : CRT Superstar SS-7900, TTi TCB-771, Thunderpole Red Devil, Cobra M75 Power Mic

Waiting For Santa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waiting For Santa   Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 1:23 pm

Well, I got carried away and spent yesterday afternoon lashing  the kit up in my car. The DHL Van delivered my kit around midday, all packaged very well from Knights:

CRT SS 9700 10M Rig (Export)
Thunderpole Red Devil & Magmount
Cobra M75 Power Mic

Today I also have a Sirio Performer 5000 & SWR Meter arriving.

I started with tuning the whip using a nanoVNA and this tuned on my drive to 1.2 at 27.555, however, got this down to 1:0.5 when I relocated to surroundings with no trees or obstructions. After much faffing and coffee,  I got a local rig check on 27.555 with good report, my second contact was with an Italian on Sicily with a 3/4 signal. I had relocated to white horse hill in Wiltshire when I got the Sicily contact, so far I was impressed with the Red Devil.  First impressions of the 7900 are very good, I like the menu system and its relatively easy to use, the only thing I don't like it the lack of backlit controls.

As for the Cobra Mic, this must be a very poor match for this rig, it sounds very 'muddy' and does not sound as good as the CRT stock mic, this was a disappointment.  I did try to research as much as I could on the 9700 but there isn't much info on the web or youtube about it so my match of the cobra mic was touch n go from the start, I'll try one of the KPO mics once they are restocked in Knights.

I tested the mic with my little Tecsun 660 SSB Receiver and have recorded the results to share in a video I hope to get out this weekend, this also includes the antenna set up and a review of the kit.

First impressions of the CRT9700 is very good, I think this may be an under rated rig but I can see the controls of the 6900 etc are better for mobile use due to their ease of accessibility.  The speaker / audio from the 9700 is very clear, channel isolation sounds very good although the audio is a little too quiet, I have hooked the speaker output up to my vehicles aux input and this sounds very good!

I'm tinkering with it more later today and will continue to video which I hope to get online for the weekend, if you are interested I'll post a link here.  I will be doing a more in depth look at the rig, I have access to an R&S ETL Analyser but have left my coupler at work

Last edited by MV Communicator on Thu May 28, 2020 11:31 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

Waiting For Santa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waiting For Santa   Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 7:03 pm

All fine business Mike, glad to hear so far so good.

Yes do upload the video for us when you can it's always good to see those contacts. Very Happy

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ

Waiting For Santa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waiting For Santa   Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 11:24 pm

Have fun with it and enjoy.
Mark.
Back to top Go down
MV Communicator
MV Communicator

Waiting For Santa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waiting For Santa   Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 10:31 am

Well here's a quick hashed up video of some of my adventures with the CRT 7900 so far, a bit random but its my first video for my YT channel. Hope you enjoy!

Nik70UK likes this post

Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

Waiting For Santa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waiting For Santa   Waiting For Santa Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 10:40 pm

Hi Mike,

looks like you have been enjoying yourself Very Happy

I also bought a SS7900 from Knights and found the mic reports to be a little quiet.

I decided to increase the mic setting to 36 in the menu and also took the mike apart and drilled a larger hole directly in front of the electret condenser mic and placed a small piece of lightweight foam from the mic end of and old headset between the mic and the hole. The reports I have received confirm my audio has doubled if not more.

May be worth trying if you don't have any success with the KPO.

Cheers

Graeme.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Waiting For Santa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waiting For Santa   Waiting For Santa Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Waiting For Santa
Page 1 of 1