Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
9900 chart supply 2023 power meter ALINCO yaesu call Mobile lincoln president anytone frequency callsign Sirio list Mckinley software antenna 6900 sign Baofeng 2022 ss9900 display
QRZ Database

Balanced feeder

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pwdevon
pwdevon

Call Sign : 26-CT-3639
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Ilfracombe
Equipment Used : Barracuda, UV5R

Balanced feeder Empty
PostSubject: Balanced feeder   Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 6:07 am

Has anyone here had much success on 11m using balanced feeder? I never got the chance to play with it back in the day but I want to have a go at knocking up some lightweight wire dipoles and the idea of not needing a balun is definitely appealing.
The basic idea at the moment would be an inverted v using a fibreglass pole as the centre support.
Back to top Go down
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

Balanced feeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balanced feeder   Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 10:16 am

pwdevon wrote:
Has anyone here had much success on 11m using balanced feeder? I never got the chance to play with it back in the day but I want to have a go at knocking up some lightweight wire dipoles and the idea of not needing a balun is definitely appealing.
The basic idea at the moment would be an inverted v using a fibreglass pole as the centre support.

Have you considered using a double bazooka? These antennas are very wide-banded and they don't need a balun......see links below.

http://radioaficion.com/cms/bazooka-antenna-measurements-per-band/

https://www.wireantennas.co.uk/hf/double-bazooka-antenna-27-Mhz-cb-dxer
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

Balanced feeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balanced feeder   Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 11:19 am

pwdevon wrote:

Are you talking about a doublet using balanced feeder to feed a wire “dipole”, or something else? Generally balanced line is taken back to a tuner with a wide range that can match it, or a 4:1 balun, and it’s done primarily to reduce transmission line loss.

Otherwise, it can be used to create a multiband antenna like a G5RV, ZS6BKW, or G7FEK, but all would be overkill for, and less effective than a monoband antenna built specifically for, 11m.

Either way, unless you’re building something with built in matchimg capability, you’re going to need a suitable tuner, or a balun.
Back to top Go down
The DB
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member

Times Thanked : 5

Balanced feeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balanced feeder   Balanced feeder Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2020 3:11 pm

I have used balanced feed line before, although not for a single band.  Its strength comes from being able to use it to tune a wire antenna to multiple bands.  It does this by having almost no losses, which allows a matching circuit to be on the radio end as opposed to the antenna end.

I have suggested using balanced feed line once for the CB band, but that was for an excessively long run of around 1000 feet (literally up the side of a mountain), where even the much vaulted LMR400 will have near 75% loss, but 450 ohm window line will only have about 30% loss.  So there are situations where something like this could potentially be useful.

If you want to use parallel feed line to learn or just play with, I will not tell you not to, however running parallel feed line does have requirements of its own.  Its lot like coax where all the energy is kept within the shielding, and this energy in fact exists in the area around the feed line, so you need to do things like keep it away from longer runs of metal, and burying it is a bad thing.

If you want to run 450 ohm window line, you could put a 9:1 balun on both sides.  In fact, almost every time a balanced feed line is run a balun exists somewhere in the system, typically there is a 4:1 balun in the antenna tuner.  Other "balanced tuners" act like a balun in and of themselves.

I have seen a thread on another forum (not a nice one mind you) where someone talks about using half wavelength multiples of parallel feed line on the CB band to non-balanced vertical antennas, however again, you still need to run something to balance both sides of the feed line as an imbalance in currents on the parallel feed line will treat the feed line as an antenna and radiate (just like common mode currents on coax) which would defeat the purpose.

The DB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Balanced feeder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balanced feeder   Balanced feeder Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Balanced feeder
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: