Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT callsign please (Issued)
PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» EU conditions have started
PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review Icon_minitimeToday at 2:19 am by babis3g

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:58 pm by VanRougeT4

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

» 11m conditions
PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 10:33 pm by babis3g

» Ten on 10m FM - event 20th April
PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm by SangueG

» END FED QUESTIONS ..
PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
lincoln anytone yaesu list 2022 9900 Baofeng callsign chart meter sign call display Sirio Mobile Mckinley software power 2023 ss9900 antenna ALINCO president frequency supply 6900
QRZ Database

PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Firetrap
CT Directors
CT Directors
Firetrap

Call Sign : 26CT100
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Emperor Shogun, Delta 318 Export, TYT380, Albrecht 2990AFS, SS3900

PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review Empty
PostSubject: PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review   PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 6:30 am

Are you pondering getting some walkie-talkie radios, but don't know which would be the correct radio for you? 

Looking for the correct model of walkie-talkie can be troublesome and confusing if you are new to the hobby or have never used one before. I have gathered some walkie-talkie radios together , with the hope that you can choose which radio s right for you. I will only mention certain radio specifications which are considered most relevant to novice users

Most people who are looking to buy handheld radios for leisure use don't want to have to obtain a license to use them so I will stick to legal radios which no license is needed.

There are various components you have to consider for something as little as a walkie-talkie. There are a few models available on the market and the prices can vary a lot for radios with very similar features and specifications and clearly you would prefer not to squander cash on a walkie-talkie radio that doesn't fit your needs or indeed over spend on one due to the brand name.

Here is a few I have personally used and found to be great value for money and worked better than I expected for legal radios. I will outline the key features and good points of each radio.

Motorola Talkabout T82 Extreme PMR446 
PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review 41czwi10

What I like about these...

• Range up to 10km. Tested at 6KM in semi built up area. no problems
  • 16 PMR Channels
  • License-free plus no call charges
  • Pack includes 2 radios, lanyards, earpieces and carry-case
  • Weather proof (IPx4)
  • Vibrate alert + integrated torch
  • Baby Monitor Function
  • Power 0.5w
  • Long battery life
  • Easy to use
  • Well made with 
  • A lot of radio for your money
  • Feels expensive
  • Ideal for camping, hiking, festivals or indeed hill top DXing with being waterproof
  • You get two radios in a pack
  • Available at Amazon.co.uk

Qniglo Rechargeable PMR Radios
PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review 41tsks10

What I like about these...

• Range up to 10km. Tested at 6KM in same setting and worked great
  • 8 PMR Channels
  • License-free plus no call charges
  • Pack includes 2 radios, two rechargeable battery packs and Micro USB charge cable
  • Simple and easy to use
  • Hands Free VOX function
  • 1500 mAh batteries, good capacity for a 0.5w handheld
  • Long battery life
  • Ideal for car to car communication, more suited to indoors or dry enviroment
  • Cheap price because the brand isn't as well known
  • Available here to buy 

Retevis RT45 Plus 

PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review 41he2e10

What I like about these..

• The are a great all rounder
  • Matches the distance of the Motorola despite claiming to be much less.
  • Tested at 6KM in semi built up area and nice surprise
  • Rugged design and good build qualty
  • Supplied with rechargeable batteries
  • 16 Channels and 99 privacy codes
  • Torch, VOX
  • Battery saver function
  • Easy to use and nice clear display
  • Feel more expensive than they are
  • 0.5w 
  • beltclip
  • USB charge
  • Ideal for indoor and outdoor but not waterproof
  • Cheapest of the three 
  • Features of much more expensive radios
  • Can be bought here

Three different radios, very different prices, exact same radio power and similar features. Although I like all three of these radios, my opinion is that the RT45 are the way forward. They look like they could have been made in the same factory as Motorola and share similar build to much more expensive radios. The range of all legal PMR radios with fixed antenna and standard 0.5w power tend to be about the same when tested in the same settings. The Rt45 does not claim 10KM like the Motorola, in fact they claim under 3KM but in tests they worked just as good as the other two radios. The battery packs on the Qniglo radios are a nice touch and feel quality. Its a shame the RT45 radios dont have similar self contained, high capacity battery packs but then we must remember That they are not as costly. The Motorola radios have an edge over the other two in terms of overall build quality and accessories which are included and i guess they should considering the price..but they only just do it. Performance is so so close its hard to tell them apart.

So, if you fancy trying some hill top DX on PMR, save yourself some cash and go for the RT45. You get two for £34 and you wont be disappointed with how they work or indeed if you broke or lost one at that price. Perhaps upgrade the batteries if you plan on heavy use would be my suggestion.

I hope this helps anyone looking for their first PMR radio.

Pagan, Alan - Mirror Man and Dave Johns like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.charlietango.co.uk

PMR446 - Radio Tests and Review
Page 1 of 1