Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» First dx in 40 plus years
Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
meter ss9900 frequency chart president 2023 sign display Mobile lincoln software Sirio list anytone antenna call 9900 Mckinley callsign 2022 supply yaesu power Baofeng 6900 ALINCO
QRZ Database

Magnum 257 (blue) 30w

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rover TD5

Call Sign : 26 CT 1155
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Newcastle under Lyme
Equipment Used : Magnum 257 + Intek 490 plus

Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Empty
PostSubject: Magnum 257 (blue) 30w   Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2020 11:28 pm

So I keep being told my audio quality is excellent but it's a little quiet. I have introduced a power mic which has helped a little but what I would like to do is increase the audio via the modulation pod. However I'm not 100% sure what it looks like or where on the board it is. I have found 3 possibilities as of which are a small tower like shape with a slotted screw at the top. Two are black slots one is white.
If anyone might have experience with this radio I would love some advise please.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Magnum 257 (blue) 30w   Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 7:22 am

Hi "Rover TD5",
(Sorry, no personal.....no previous posts, no CT callsign....have you thought about joining?)

I wouldn't suggest you go inside your radio adjusting/setting/twiddling anything unless you know exactly what you're doing. (I know, that's why you're asking).

The "towers" with a "slotted screw" are almost certainly going to to be inductors/coils and you'll completely screw your radio if you start touching these without knowledge and test equipment. I wouldn't even start adjusting any of the potentiometers for exactly the same reason.

There is an old CB expression/phrasing/title called "Screwdriver Experts" for those that 'twiddled' with their radio's. It usually involved a 'jewellers screwdriver set' or a nice tiny screwdriver which others dubbed the "Golden Screwdriver". (Golden Screwdriver was also an expression for those that twiddled their radio, friends radio's, charged people for doing such and usually ruining every radio they touched!)

The Magnum 257 was/is a radio with good audio, the designers even provided an adjustment pot inside the microphone to adjust the microphones gain. Well thought out Smile

If you've introduced a power microphone without much change then I can guess that your audio 'reports' are on FM mode?
It's quite common to get a quiet audio report on FM modes if one of you is slightly off frequency......If your radio is fresh from the factory, (despite modern Chinese junk claims), then you are almost certainly going to be "on frequency". Probably won't make the other station too happy but how old is their radio? When was it last serviced or calibrated?
Other stations to them might sound louder, but that could be the case of them also having older radio's that have been 'golden screwdrivered' to expand their FM deviation to the hilt.

My apologies if that doesn't seem to help you directly out, (I suppose a picture with "twiddle this" would be better?)

I hear too many reports of "your audio is quiet", "your radio is off frequency", "Chinese junk radio's", etc.
Fact is, if your radio is properly calibrated that "excellent audio but a little quiet" report is going to be the transmission that bursts through to a distant station and the over modulated transmissions will be lost in the noise...

But if all you're doing is chatting to mates a few miles down the road your "quiet" audio is going to annoy them. In which case you are looking for the FM Deviation twiddle. Have a search for Magnum 257 mods.

Anyway, either I'm, "He don't know what he's chatting about", or I've been a little help. The little help bit was my intention Smile

All the best,
Victor

(Oh, and think about joining. It's nice to be a Charlie Tango)

Rover TD5 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

PostSubject: Re: Magnum 257 (blue) 30w   Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 11:58 am

OOOooooW The magic screwdriver. Victor is right,, if you don't have the test gear or the know how take it to a Pro... Here in No Mans Land I hear screwdriver jobs all day,,, you cant understand a word they say and most of the stations around here just give them the squelch too hard on the ears.
Oh yes their radios don't seem to last long either, average is about a month then you can hear them calling for a "cheap rig for sale" It aint worth it mate for a couple of quid have it done right.

73 with my squelch up lol Tom 26CZ455
Back to top Go down
Firetrap
CT Directors
CT Directors
Firetrap

Call Sign : 26CT100
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Emperor Shogun, Delta 318 Export, TYT380, Albrecht 2990AFS, SS3900

PostSubject: Re: Magnum 257 (blue) 30w   Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 2:32 pm

Those radios are quiet on modulation without a magic touch.

Ive had a few. Work amazing when tuned properly. BTW..The mic has voltage going through it. A bog strandard mic is no good. You need a good quality Electret Mic. I think the standard mic can be slightly adjusted too if i remember correctly

Nick tuned mine for me, drop him an email his address is the without the #s I put them there so avoid his address being spammed

###n##i##c#k##l#o##v#e#@sky.com (Tell him I gave you his email)

He lives in wales so you would have to post it to him. He's the only guy who I send my radios to.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
https://www.charlietango.co.uk
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Magnum 257 (blue) 30w   Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 3:42 pm

I'm amazed there are still independent rig-doctors out there, but not surprised after some of the abortion jobs I've seen come out of so called "authorised repair" centres (!)

As far as I was aware the Magnum 257, (and it's variants), used an electret mic element on the standard factory microphone anyway. (Hence the potentiometer inside the microphone to adjust the elements biasing - the true "mic-gain" potentiometer being inside the radio.) I know problems come about when people try to hook up other mics.

I suppose it's all "horses-for-courses".....I often hear Hams on the amateur bands sounding like they're sat in the bath, (it's only a little echo), to full blown over-modulation from their 'super-duper' boom mic setups, let alone CBers Wink

Let the 'twiddling' commence  lol!

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Call Sign : 19-CT-024 / PD0GOL
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Steenwijk, JO32bs
Equipment Used : Dynascan AT5555,Yaesu FT-897, W3EDP junior, MFJ-925

PostSubject: Re: Magnum 257 (blue) 30w   Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 5:54 pm

I'm awaiting a Albrecht microphone, which should be the same as the original Magnum 257. Bought the set with a President microphone which certainly is not meant for the Magnum. I can only key down the channel with it and i get complaints about the sound being to dull. Therefore i went with "as original as possible".

Back to top Go down
Firetrap
CT Directors
CT Directors
Firetrap

Equipment Used : Emperor Shogun, Delta 318 Export, TYT380, Albrecht 2990AFS, SS3900

PostSubject: Re: Magnum 257 (blue) 30w   Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 6:11 pm

IF its not an Electret mic it will sound dull mate. I'm surprised it works at all if its not electret.

Back to top Go down
Firetrap
CT Directors
CT Directors
Firetrap

PostSubject: Re: Magnum 257 (blue) 30w   Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2020 6:12 pm

If i remember correctly, the magnum 257 can not receive without a mic plugged in?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magnum 257 (blue) 30w   Magnum 257 (blue) 30w Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magnum 257 (blue) 30w
Page 1 of 1