Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
chart antenna Baofeng Sirio call ss9900 supply Mckinley software anytone 2023 list 6900 frequency power display Mobile ALINCO meter yaesu sign president 2022 callsign 9900 lincoln
QRZ Database

Foundation living with dyslexia

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
John 1210
John 1210

Call Sign : 108CT234
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Kirkintilloch/ Glasgow
Equipment Used : YAESU FT450D 6mtrs

Foundation living with dyslexia  Empty
PostSubject: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2020 9:52 pm

Hi members 
I have been studying my foundation license book for over a year . And I should be able to take my test many times before now . But due to my condition and living with dyslexia. This is a terrible disease that effects you’re brain. As I said I have been studying this book for a long time now but no matter how many times I read this book I my brain just doesn’t take in what I am trying to learn. Yes I could try and take my test but my brain and my nerves would definitely make me fail it. And sitting the test would be a anxiety on its own . Maybe one day I may get the courage to go ahead without this terrible disease. But I am not giving in. And I hope I can achieve my goal one day.

Sorry about me rambling on
John

GaryWilson, Alan - Mirror Man, Lonewolfprep, Nik70UK, Chefsdead and DrDarryll like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2020 8:45 am

Hi John,

You ramble on mate, nothing better than getting something off your chest.

Unless you suffer from a certain condition or close to someone who suffers, then unfortunately people have no idea, understanding or comprehension whatsoever. Many will never know how you have to cope with everyday life let alone specific tasks.

You'll have to forgive me John, I'm going to ramble myself but in the hope others understand such difficulties.

Even the simplest of 'differences' dumbfound most.

I'm red/green colour blind, never noticed, doesn't generally hinder me and didn't find out until my 20s. Not until some "bright spark" decided to colour-code items at work did it become a problem! I'm still amazed that when people find out they start pointing at things asking "what colour is that?" before pointing to every coloured object they see......
"Do you see in black and white?", "Do you see like a dog?".... you'd be amazed at people's lack of understanding.

My only problems come about when my wife, who despite being with for many, many years(!), still asks me if I like the colour.
Go figure?

Thankfully, this 'minor' difference doesn't unduly affect me....

The lack of awareness or even trying to understand someone's 'condition' or situation is what hinders some of our population. Especially when it comes to certain tasks or even interests.

Let's take the pursuit of Amateur Radio....

I think the radio amateur licence process is moving in the right direction but still not there for many.

You used to have to go to a school or college, sit a course for a few weeks before sitting an exam. 
(RAE or radio amateurs exam)

Most were happy to see what was for them the 'miserable school years' happily behind them so this was an issue for many. Often when the 'students' were faced with electronic theory, mathematics etc. it scared them silly! They often wondered why they had to know all this stuff to buy and operate a radio...I can see their point. Let alone the 'fear' of the dreaded Morse test to pursue a full licence.

I took the course myself a couple of times back in the day to see every course & exam cancelled due to dwindling numbers.

This despite my own educational/career pursuits, attending college & university and yet stopped dead in my tracks by us not understanding what hinders others....simply missing the point hinders the unexpected too!

Move on and we had the "club" route to pursuing the radio amateur licence.

You had better be sure you have a local club, your face fits, you never mention CB radio and all is well. 
If not, well "ya-boo-sucks-being-you".

A visit to a club in my own pursuit early this year saw a poor welcome, (I never mentioned CB for fear of discrimination!). They wanted to charge me double membership, (AGM cutoff), course fees, hall fees and exam fees.....to the tune of £140!! Just for the Foundation? Well you know where you can stick that then. If I'd had the money to throw away I'd have still told them to stick it as well.

So okay, I chose the wrong club. Hindered myself....didn't I?

But I have no problems with social situations, engagement with others, visiting a club....but what if you did? Then this example is even worse isn't it?

The biggest move is the current online licence application and examination...

Due in part to the hard work of some individuals, mostly because of the pandemic and assuredly to keep those radio amateur numbers up, (we wouldn't want to lose those bands and frequencies for lack of use would we?), it's generally been hailed as a success.

So long as you have a fast internet connection, Windows or Apple computer with a video camera, a spare £30 languishing around doing nothing, then all is good.

No internet? No suitable computer? Technophobe? Dyslexic? £30 is more than you spend on food a week?
Well again, "ya-boo-sucks-being-you"!

We hinder people in the most unexpected or misunderstood of ways possible. Maybe it's not really our fault.

To paraphrase one of the great Sir Billy Connolly stories...

Two Wildebeest grazing on the African plain hear a terrible commotion and look up.
One of the Wildebeest says to the other, "What's are those Lions killing and eating over there?"
His mate says, "Och, that's a Wildebeest".
The first Wildebeest says, "Christ! Thank God I'm not one of those....."
With that they carry on grazing....oblivious.

All the very best to you John. 

I hope you finally succeed in your pursuits, either through your own hard work, sheer determination and maybe even hopefully, a fellow 'wildebeest' looks up and doesn't simply shrug it off.

Victor

GaryWilson, PastaFazool, Nik70UK and DrDarryll like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2020 9:54 am

The only regrets I have in life are the things I didn't try due to fear of failure, the online foundation test helped me overcome this and I just passed the test around an hour ago.

The Essex Ham course was easy for me to follow with a mixture of videos, visual aids and mock tests and I can't recommend it enough.
I also found mock tests online that helped me prepare for the actual test which, I am surprised to say, was easier than expected.

Whatever you decide to do just enjoy yourself, hobbies are meant to be fun and enjoyable, not cause you worry or anxiety so only you can decide what is best for you.
I will never give 11m/CB up, it is where I come from and I will take great pleasure in announcing it too!

73's

Alan

GaryWilson, PastaFazool, Victor, Nik70UK and DrDarryll like this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2020 3:14 pm

John 1210 wrote:
Hi members 
I have been studying my foundation license book for over a year . And I should be able to take my test many times before now . But due to my condition and living with dyslexia. This is a terrible disease that effects you’re brain. As I said I have been studying this book for a long time now but no matter how many times I read this book I my brain just doesn’t take in what I am trying to learn. Yes I could try and take my test but my brain and my nerves would definitely make me fail it. And sitting the test would be a anxiety on its own . Maybe one day I may get the courage to go ahead without this terrible disease. But I am not giving in. And I hope I can achieve my goal one day.

Sorry about me rambling on
John

Hello John, 

I think you should talk to the RSGB and see what they can do for candidates such as yourself. My radio society is a training club and we have accommodated candidates with a wide range of disabilities in the past. We have a member who is completely blind so there must be something they could do to help you through the process. Don't give up!!! 

73's Gary.

PastaFazool, John 1210, Victor, Alan - Mirror Man, Chefsdead and DrDarryll like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi again John,

I ranted on about often unseen discrimination. My apologies, it does seem that there are some people willing to help after all.

Alan mentioned Essex Ham, (Hi Alan, congrats on your pass!)

Their site does mention Dyslexia etc. so may be of help. Link below -

Amateur Radio and Dyslexia

It seems there are some conditions to it all but maybe worth giving it a shot. You never know.

All the best,
Victor

GaryWilson, Alan - Mirror Man and DrDarryll like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 pm

John
Just found this post maybe a bit late.
Did you go in for your test ?.
I am in the same boat as you and you described exactly what i was saying to Victor not long ago.
Very hard for people to understand dyslexia but your post does just that.
I decided to have a go and went in for the Essex ham course started on the 4th October.
Decided after the first week to book my test for the 17th November to give me a push then the panic set in (Victor will tell you).
Thought this would push me but still the brain didn't take anything in i thought ????.
Tuesday morning the 17th at 9am PANIC 9.30am test started couldn't remember where i lived when the invigilator asked just before the test started.
9.55am ssssssssssssshit i passed.
If you haven't done it yet do it you could well surprise yourself as i did.
  Regards
           Alan.
postman still not brought my certificate.

Victor, Alan - Mirror Man and DrDarryll like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 7:43 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
John
Just found this post maybe a bit late.
Did you go in for your test ?.
I am in the same boat as you and you described exactly what i was saying to Victor not long ago.
Very hard for people to understand dyslexia but your post does just that.
I decided to have a go and went in for the Essex ham course started on the 4th October.
Decided after the first week to book my test for the 17th November to give me a push then the panic set in (Victor will tell you).
Thought this would push me but still the brain didn't take anything in i thought ????.
Tuesday morning the 17th at 9am PANIC 9.30am test started couldn't remember where i lived when the invigilator asked just before the test started.
9.55am ssssssssssssshit i passed.
If you haven't done it yet do it you could well surprise yourself as i did.
  Regards
           Alan.
postman still not brought my certificate.

Well done mate, I used to get terribly nervous when faced with tests etc I had one friend in a sales training group who stood up and said: "Hello my name is..." poor lad was so nervous he forgot it.
Working in sales for many years cured me of it in time but I can remember it all too well and just look how giving it a go has worked out for you.

As I get older the only things I seem to regret are the ones I didn't attempt through fear of failure, once again, well done for not only conquering your fears and giving it a go but giving it a go and suceeding!
Set up a page on QRZ.com you will find it really usefull and its free for a basic log which is all you need.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 7:50 am

Thanks Alan (fantastic name that lol).
On qrz.com and put my first entry in the log last night but forgot the details of another but will put that in later today.
Nervous was an understatement lol and even keying the mic got to me and i have had thousand's of contacts on 11m over the years but on 20m the nerves set in strange or what.

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

PostSubject: Re: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 8:33 am

It is just because it is new and you are unfamiliar with all that is going on, the format is slightly different but I have found people to be very accommodating and I hear lots of new stations on too, at least we are going in with radio experience imagine what it must be like for those who have never keyed a mike before.

It is new and exciting, I had a station in Spain not quite tell me off but he didn't seem pleased I had answered his DX call, he was very nice giving me a quick signal report etc but he was looking for outside of Europe and he was 1000 miles away when I checked on QRZ.
We are the new kids on the block it seems but between us all, we have a wealth of experience and knowledge operating DX on a fairly tricky band and a shared love of radio and the magic it seems to bring into each of our lives!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 8:44 am

My first contact was with a guy called Paul in Germany.
I answered his cq call and told him straight away that it was my first contact as a ham.
He was fantastic patient and helpful and we had around a 10 to 15 minute chat.
He asked what the setup was and was surprised i was only using 10w and a vertical antenna at around 15ft up.
I was getting him at 5/9  and he was getting me at 5/8 but he was on a beam with 500w.
Next was a guy called Tony in Malaga but i was on the long wire 10m long with a 9.1 unun.
Similar reports but have a look at his qrz page  EA7DJ

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

PostSubject: Re: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 11:40 am

I have noticed if you mention you are operating QPR, portable or mobile people seem to make the extra effort to call you in, I put it down to wanting to make the more challenging contacts possibly as I do the very same thing myself.

The long wire and unun with extendable pole is something I have picked up myself but am yet to try out, I have a few antenna projects lined up for the new year, I always find January and February very quiet so it will help to fill the time.

It is quite the contrast being able to work the other bands now, even with the low position in the solar cycle the chances of some DX are vastly improved and I am still pleased as punch to hear from more local stations too. I picked up a newly liscenced chap on one of the more remote Scottish Isles, home made delta loop and one of those nifty little Xiagu radios he had on loan from a friend.

Good to hear your getting some decent contacts under your belt, I am sure you will have made many more already!
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 12:42 pm

22 country's in 27 day's so far.
Actually listening to mm0udi as i type this.
The long wire is my main antenna now i only switch over to the vertical HF-360 when i go over on the 11m band and that's not doing much at the moment
Got a load more wire to have a play with as i think 10 meters is not long enough so going to try 20 meters and looking how i could go longer but my garden is small but had a daft idea of going over to the neighbours apex and he said go for it.
As we live in opa bungalows we have a emergency call system and there is a cable from my house to his already so an extra one would blend in.
Just need a fool to go on the roof my nephew springs to mind lol.
The house i am on about is across a big patch of grass and away from the road.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foundation living with dyslexia    Foundation living with dyslexia  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foundation living with dyslexia
Page 1 of 1