Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Winter 11m Challenge - from December 1st 2023 to 31st March 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 pm by John H

» Tank whip for homebase
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 pm by Hendo

» First homebase
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:10 pm by Hendo

» Foundation licence passed!
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:49 am by Al21

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:20 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 am by SangueG

» Returning Member / Callsign Re-Issue (Returning Member)
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 10:56 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 9:05 pm by Razz229

» Introduction to the group. (Issued)
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 4:52 am by Victor

Keywords
antenna 2022 ss9900 display Sirio frequency meter Mobile 9900 lincoln yaesu supply callsign anytone 6900 software sign list Baofeng 2023 chart president ALINCO call Mckinley power
QRZ Database

Big burners.? Why?

Go down 
+13
Cozzmik
stephen Gunrunner
BoB4jjjj
gmham
saltire
The Doctor
Alan - Mirror Man
Alan Pilot
Mitch
Red Fox
Victor
NUBSTER
Tristar
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 7:33 am

NUBSTER and i where typing at the same time with the same thought  Laughing Laughing Laughing

NUBSTER, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 349
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 8:14 am

Heard my name mentioned... what's going on? Very Happy Very Happy Wink

Joking aside, I've discovered forums and facebark are more of a "gun and run" platform so hence no more long winded posts from me Wink

Bob's postings are usually quite long, (if anyone remembers his new member intro), and I've got to admit I don't mind. He'll be the perfect Ham when he gets his ticket for an 80m waffle, I'll happily join him there Smile

Great points raised in this discussion though. Love it when a discussion gets long.

glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 9:36 am

Ha!Very Happy
Yeah, don't mind a long winded conversation but when someone on 80m starts waffling about their latest medical procedure I do tune around or turn off Wink

I do have a long winded post in mind for the future about SWR, what it means and how experience can beat limited technical knowledge. Good one for the new radio operator.
It'll definitely be more than a few lines Martin Very Happy

NUBSTER, glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 3:33 pm

Victor.
Make them as long winded as you want i like reading your post's and the long winded ones are all relevant to the subject.
(Got my rsgb book in the post today) Wink Wink

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 5:28 pm

Cheers Alan, appreciate it mate Smile

Got your book? Smile You're on the journey!

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2020 11:23 am

in my very early days of the cb it was a sommercamp coffee warmer it was ok as thought it was good fun until one night
unknown to me was giving every one in the street tvi some had no idea and some sort of one of my good friends came to the house , and asked to talk and put it bluntly and he recorded the tvi and had me talking, So from that down to our local radio doc and he was very good, all he said I have heard I will give you a chance to do some thing to help get rid of
the radio , asked what can I do I do not want money , he said I will take it for a swap , yes got my self a very good
cobra 148 all nice and working showed me it working I will not name him but he was like cobraman, and we were good friends he liked the way I thought, you could have got good money for it, but I was not wanting money, just to get it gone , the street was happy and I was very happy but the lad has gone now, crazy days but good fun then, but not now I can get to a few good spots in the car and at 2000+ ft high and no kickers well a little one 200w

Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 6:15 pm

Never needed any more than 100w to work the world,whats the point of all that power if you cannot hear the other station...

As said...good antenna,coax,plugs etc and enjoy!!

Sydthecat, John123, Pagan, glenn dog, Victor, Alan - Mirror Man, saltire and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 5:57 pm

Sometimes power is needed in sensible amounts to get over the electrical noise that is rife in our towns and villages.    OK kilowatts of it is a bit daft.

I was once talking to a fairly distant home based station from up on a hill, running about 100 watts.    He started going on about "radio power being perfectly enough" etc.   At which point I switched off the amp and went back to him.   "Hello, hello?  Where have you disappeared to?" I heard him saying.   Chuckling to myself, switched the amp back on and told him "I thought I'd turn my unnecessary amp off".   He didn't have much to say in response!

Also, people talk about working the world QRP, yes of course you can, but it makes flippin' hard work of it when you are competing with big power Italian and Spanish stations.

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 8:25 pm

There's always one....................

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2020 7:00 pm

Cozzmik wrote:
Never needed any more than 100w to work the world,whats the point of all that power if you cannot hear the other station...

As said...good antenna,coax,plugs etc and enjoy!!
Same as me, Sam. I will run around 100w if out dxing. Otherwise I use as little power as possible to save the car battery.

Alan - Mirror Man, Cozzmik and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 9:15 am

Many thanks for all the answers. 

Sorry it’s been a while but I’ve not been very well but better now!😊

I wish some of you guys were near me. I’d not have some of the problems I have if you were. 

73s
John

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 7:56 pm

Hope you are ok now, and back on here again, chat soon.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
ghoshy2014
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
ghoshy2014

Call Sign : 26-CT-3796
QTH or Location : Warrington
Equipment Used : SS6900N

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 8:44 pm

hi tristar, hope this help's out this is from OFCOM,
Which modes of modulation may be used? 2.2 The use of either Frequency Modulation (FM) or Phase Modulation (PM) is permitted, as well as the use of Amplitude Modulation (AM) Double Side-Band (DSB) or Single Side-Band modulation (SSB). What is the maximum power allowed? 2.3 The maximum transmitter RF carrier power output allowed for Angle Modulated equipment is 4 Watts. The use of power amplifiers (often referred to as “burners” or “boosters”) to boost output power above the 4 Watt limit is illegal. For Amplitude Modulate equipment, the maximum permitted effective radiated power (ERP) is 4 Watts (measured as a root mean square) for DSB modulation, and 12 Watts (measured as a peak envelope power) for SSB modulation 2.4 For all modes of modulation, equipment with an integral antenna, the maximum effective radiated carrier power is limited to 4W. 

if it get's really bad you can write to,

Ofcom
Spectrum Management Centre
Baldock Radio Station
Royston
Baldock
SG7 6SH. or you can phone, Tel: 020 7981 3131 (option 2)

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
ghoshy2014
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
ghoshy2014

Call Sign : 26-CT-3796
QTH or Location : Warrington
Equipment Used : SS6900N

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 12:34 am

no probs just trying to be helpful,

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 9:56 am

Thanks ghoshy2014. 
I hadn’t seen that before!

I wonder how the new legislation is going to effect or not the Policing of the airwaves. ??

My guess is that if something is interfering with 5G in the street they will be all over it!?!.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Flipping 'eck Martin!  Shocked

That would be enough to make anyone give up radio altogether!

That was a similar noise to what I was getting back when I was just a SWL and gave it all up. It was only in noticing that it disappeared that I returned to radio, then back to CB and finally getting my ticket this year. If it had stayed like that I don't think I'd have bothered!

Then they wonder why everyone's using 'burners'?!?! It's to get over the top of that nonsense no doubt! Wink

If you can't get the noise to stop you just have to shout over it. Very Happy

It's that nonsense that Ofcom need to concentrate on, not the CBer just trying desperately to enjoy their hobby like they used to.

I remember when the CB S-meter flicked past S2 that it meant some skip was coming in. Wink

NUBSTER and John123 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 8:37 pm

Not at all Martin, the posting was after all "Big Burners. Why?" and you can clearly see why. Wink

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 10:39 pm

It is the same for me too, Martin. I experimented for home and I had S9 of noise most days. I used an Antron and mounted it down the bottom of the garden, which backs on to a field and I still got S9 of noise. Factor in the rubbish take-off too and that is why I stick with a mobile set-up.

NUBSTER and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 10:46 pm

Victor wrote:
Not at all Martin, the posting was after all "Big Burners. Why?" and you can clearly see why. Wink

When I am out on the tops, Victor, I get zero noise level, even with the preamp switched on. So I can hear lots of stations (they may not be registering on the S-meter and still be a R5), but they cannot hear me, unless I have a 'bit of coal on.' Lol. I do try to run as little power as possible, though.

NUBSTER and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 4:30 am

No wonder you run mobile only John, that's a huge difference!

Back in the day the main reason for running mobile was to gain height, (and try to avoid the authorities who were less than kind then), or to get away from beakers in town who could ruin a DX with 'golden screwdriver' splatter. Wink

Now it's to avoid all the RF noise from modern electronic devices in populated areas!

At least you are running power only when you need to, (no fun otherwise), and are well away from anyone else when you do. Can't get a more considerate operator than that can you?

I still think most of this is all about bitching each other off and hiding behind the 'policing ourselves' nonsense. Operators will bemoan often quoting regulations whilst at the same time breaking those quoted regulations themselves....

Probably why Ofcom don't get involved, it all gets a bit petulant. A bit more live and let live might go a long way.

John123 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big burners.? Why?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next