Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» OFCOM DRACONIAN MEASURES
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:21 pm by Victor

» SWR's are better but..............
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:04 pm by Jape

» please may i have a ct callsign ?
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 9:56 pm by Victor

» 11m conditions
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 8:31 pm by Captain Fantastic

» shack lighting
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 7:41 pm by Victor

» callsign request (Issued)
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 5:55 pm by scropenoggin

» CT call sign please (Issued)
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 2:22 pm by glenn dog

» Looking for Finnish or Sweden members
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 2:15 pm by glenn dog

» Home setup
Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 11:41 am by Grasmerestu

Keywords
bazooka division Baofeng tickets 9900 call Calling antenna Sirio list sign power ss6900n president ss9900 supply Mckinley chart lincoln radio frequency yaesu callsign alan Mobile midland
QRZ Database

Big burners.? Why?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Alan Pilot
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220
Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : Holyhead
Equipment Used : Rci 2950dx ,,,Yaesu FT-450D

Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 7:33 am

NUBSTER and i where typing at the same time with the same thought  Laughing Laughing Laughing

NUBSTER, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Call Sign : 26 CT050 26 FB080 26 WT105 26 TE171
Times Thanked : 30
QTH or Location : NORTH LONDON
Equipment Used : original President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 7:51 am

Lol Alan ,I  was wondering if there was gonna make a TV series of that post .

But yes I agree with the problem of idiots that use extra power, but the main reason why sensible people are using extra power is because of the interference we get now so they can actually make a contact with someone, most breakers now  that I know dont use anything under 10w/20w which now is classed as low power ,where back in the illegal CB days when we on AM we had to keep our power down due to the crap old technology we had back then and it interfered with alot of stuff ie:TV's mainly, but we had no interference to CB back then ie: WiFi routers, LED lights and all the other modern technology stuff we have now so running 1/2 w could get you miles, back then when the TV shut down in the evening (no 24/7 TV then) I use to put my power up to my little 40ch radios full 5watts and get out miles I mean up to 50 mile.

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 56
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 8:14 am

Heard my name mentioned... what's going on? Very Happy Very Happy Wink

Joking aside, I've discovered forums and facebark are more of a "gun and run" platform so hence no more long winded posts from me Wink

Bob's postings are usually quite long, (if anyone remembers his new member intro), and I've got to admit I don't mind. He'll be the perfect Ham when he gets his ticket for an 80m waffle, I'll happily join him there Smile

Great points raised in this discussion though. Love it when a discussion gets long.

glenn dog and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Call Sign : 26 CT050 26 FB080 26 WT105 26 TE171
Times Thanked : 30
QTH or Location : NORTH LONDON
Equipment Used : original President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 8:57 am

LOL Victor, I've heard some of  them on 80m yawwwn , but there is difference between a monologue type post and a long post mate so dont worry , anyway sometimes you have to post a long one now and then to explain things better.

glenn dog, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 9:36 am

Ha!Very Happy
Yeah, don't mind a long winded conversation but when someone on 80m starts waffling about their latest medical procedure I do tune around or turn off Wink

I do have a long winded post in mind for the future about SWR, what it means and how experience can beat limited technical knowledge. Good one for the new radio operator.
It'll definitely be more than a few lines Martin Very Happy

NUBSTER, glenn dog and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Alan Pilot
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 3:33 pm

Victor.
Make them as long winded as you want i like reading your post's and the long winded ones are all relevant to the subject.
(Got my rsgb book in the post today) Wink Wink

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 5:28 pm

Cheers Alan, appreciate it mate Smile

Got your book? Smile You're on the journey!

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
stephen Gunrunner
Contributor
Contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX26DD666.
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : ss9900 mass dx 5000 sirio 4000hp sirio 5000 turbo trimag tti 801 crt7u

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2020 11:23 am

in my very early days of the cb it was a sommercamp coffee warmer it was ok as thought it was good fun until one night
unknown to me was giving every one in the street tvi some had no idea and some sort of one of my good friends came to the house , and asked to talk and put it bluntly and he recorded the tvi and had me talking, So from that down to our local radio doc and he was very good, all he said I have heard I will give you a chance to do some thing to help get rid of
the radio , asked what can I do I do not want money , he said I will take it for a swap , yes got my self a very good
cobra 148 all nice and working showed me it working I will not name him but he was like cobraman, and we were good friends he liked the way I thought, you could have got good money for it, but I was not wanting money, just to get it gone , the street was happy and I was very happy but the lad has gone now, crazy days but good fun then, but not now I can get to a few good spots in the car and at 2000+ ft high and no kickers well a little one 200w

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Rigs n twigs

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 6:15 pm

Never needed any more than 100w to work the world,whats the point of all that power if you cannot hear the other station...

As said...good antenna,coax,plugs etc and enjoy!!

Sydthecat, John123, Pagan, Victor, Alan - Mirror Man and saltire like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
26uk81

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900n

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 5:57 pm

Sometimes power is needed in sensible amounts to get over the electrical noise that is rife in our towns and villages.    OK kilowatts of it is a bit daft.

I was once talking to a fairly distant home based station from up on a hill, running about 100 watts.    He started going on about "radio power being perfectly enough" etc.   At which point I switched off the amp and went back to him.   "Hello, hello?  Where have you disappeared to?" I heard him saying.   Chuckling to myself, switched the amp back on and told him "I thought I'd turn my unnecessary amp off".   He didn't have much to say in response!

Also, people talk about working the world QRP, yes of course you can, but it makes flippin' hard work of it when you are competing with big power Italian and Spanish stations.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2020 8:25 pm

There's always one....................

Back to top Go down
View user profile
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 24
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Big burners.? Why?   Big burners.? Why? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2020 7:00 pm

Cozzmik wrote:
Never needed any more than 100w to work the world,whats the point of all that power if you cannot hear the other station...

As said...good antenna,coax,plugs etc and enjoy!!
Same as me, Sam. I will run around 100w if out dxing. Otherwise I use as little power as possible to save the car battery.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Big burners.? Why?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Amplifiers-
Jump to: