Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Winter 11m Challenge - from December 1st 2023 to 31st March 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 pm by John H

» Tank whip for homebase
Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 pm by Hendo

» First homebase
Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:10 pm by Hendo

» Foundation licence passed!
Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:49 am by Al21

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:20 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 am by SangueG

» Returning Member / Callsign Re-Issue (Returning Member)
Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 10:56 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 9:05 pm by Razz229

» Introduction to the group. (Issued)
Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 4:52 am by Victor

Keywords
Mckinley software frequency Baofeng power meter callsign anytone 9900 antenna yaesu Sirio lincoln ALINCO list call 2023 chart sign 2022 ss9900 president display Mobile 6900 supply
QRZ Database

Getting disillusioned

Go down 
+11
NUBSTER
stephen Gunrunner
ranger
Paddy
Northern Crusader
John123
Alan Pilot
Victor
Kittiwake
morris
Staggy
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Staggy

Call Sign : 163-CT-229
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Ystalylafera South Wales
Equipment Used : CRT SS 6900N V6 & SigmaSkip Master 5/8 wave

Getting disillusioned Empty
PostSubject: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 9:08 pm

I have bought various cb radios and aerials. My latest being a Superstar SS 6900N V6, upgrading with a DMC 110 mic and then a silver rod on a long pole.
I have never had a contact in nearly a year.  I scan all the channels and call out on all the contact channels listed on forums.  I live in a valley in south Wales and don't know if this is the problem. If it is then should I sell all my equipment? Pete (163CT229)

Last edited by Staggy on Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not right)

Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
morris
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
morris

Call Sign : 26-CT-11111
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Kent

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 10:06 pm

You probably need to go static mobile up in the hills if you have a car, most net operators are hill toppers these days. Smile

glenn dog, 26ct762 and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Kittiwake
Kittiwake

Call Sign : 163-CT-234 / MW7WYN
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Swansea
Equipment Used : CB>>Homebase: SS6900n with 1/2w silver rod, Mobile: CRT Millenium (V3) with mini springer......HAM >> Anytone D878UV

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 10:41 pm

Hi staggy

I'll be passing through Ystalyfera tomorrow about lunchtime. I'll put out some calls on ch19 FM when I'm in the area, maybe you'll here me.

Kittiwake
163ct234

Paddy, glenn dog, Victor, Alan - Mirror Man, Staggy and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 349
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi Pete,

CB today is definitely not like the old days. Back in the early 80's the moment you turned on your rig there were always people on most channels. Even when the initial flutter died down in the late 80's a quick call on 19 would get you a call back. Nowadays you could call on any channel for days on end and depending on your area not get so much as a twitch on your needle.
This is usually why people go mobile in a car, get up on top of the hills and give it a shot from there. Or you wait it out until the summer skip comes in and try a bit of DX, particularly on SSB but even possible on standard FM frequencies. 
Today it is a lot harder work and more involved.

When I came back to it late last year I was initially disappointed but then a spot of brief mid winter skip gave me the buzz. Local contacts were few and far between and often not that friendly, (farmers and truckers thinking it was their private radio!?) Living in a radio black hole valley meant I was only gaining further contacts in one direction only. But when the summer skip came in I was making contacts all over Continental Europe with no trouble and left truly buzzing!

When things were quiet radio wise at the start of the year I visited a Ham club to look at getting my amateur licence. Unfortunately it was not the friendliest of clubs and I initially gave up. The summer CB skip gave me all the buzz I needed to look back into it and with world changes online Amateur Radio testing became available. I've just finished the Essex Ham course and ready to sit my exam shortly. I don't intend to give up CB, just open more radio interest options to myself.

The basic moral is that I took it further, worked harder at it, patiently waited and extended my radio options.

I still call out on PMR channel 8 every Sunday night despite never making a contact.....yet. The moment I do I know I'll be excited as hell, will have found another contact and maybe carry on. It takes no real effort, didn't cost much and I enjoy it rather than look on it as failure.

It's all too easy to take up or revisit a hobby, throw money at it for a bit and then give it up as a bad lot. CB radio is not unusual, I've lost count of people that buy guitars, realise it's harder than it looks to play then give it up. Often they've thrown money at it too with the initial excitement or that 'better' pricier equipment will make them better at it. Second hand guitars that litter pawn shops, eBay, free adds etc. are usually 'broken dreams' sell ups.

It's really up to you what you do. If you feel that you've tried for long enough with no results and only feeling dispondent about it then it's maybe time to find a hobby that does make you happy. You won't be the first and definitely not the last.

Or, you could be as 'mad' as the rest of us, look at options, try more things, call out for days on end and be excited at every small radio achievement.

All the best,
Victor

John123, morris, Templar, glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man, Staggy, Swadeyboy and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 7:11 am

Not a lot i can add to what Victor has said but stick with it.
You have bought all your kit now and you don't have to feed it so not costing you anything to stick with it.
I bought a radio from the bay but not left feedback yet as i don't know if it works as it's silent at my location as well.(i know it works really spoken to myself on it lol)

glenn dog, Victor, Alan - Mirror Man, Staggy and Swadeyboy like this post

Back to top Go down
Staggy

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 9:35 am

I don't know how to reply to you individually but thank you all for your replies and advice.  
Victor Thank you for your lengthy reply. You are right and I will carry on and also look at getting a Ham licence.

Thanks to Alan  I thought my old 1980's Cobra was not working and took it to the tip.  I wish you good luck with getting contacts.

Morris I will try going mobile as I am on the edge of the Brecon beacons and I should get out quite far.

Kittiwake That would be great and I will be monitoring the 19 today.

Once again, thank you all for your help and advice, Pete

morris, Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 10:03 am

Pete,

Glad to find you feeling a little more positive and well done to everyone that took the time to offer you assistance.

You obviously have the radio 'bug' judging by how far you've gone with this and also sticking with it so far Smile

I hope you manage to contact Arwyn, (Kittiwake), today on your radio, it'll give you the refreshing feeling to carry on. If not, don't worry at least you're still trying. Pat yourself on the back for still trying. You may well find every so often that radio is 'letting you down', we all get that feeling at one time or another and it soon goes away.

I wish you all the best with your radio endeavours.
Victor

Alan - Mirror Man and Staggy like this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 11:14 am

Hello Pete,

Just want to echo what Victor has said. I am in the same situation as you. I briefly tried a home-base set-up and it did not not work for me, due to a high noise level and being in a radio black spot. I live in the town of Buxton in Derbyshire and although the home qth is 339m asl, the town sits in a natural bowl with hills surrounding it, so ground wave on cb is less than 10 miles in most directions.

The flip side to that is, I am literally a five minute drive from some fantastic dx spots. One local spot is 500m plus asl. So I have remained a mobile station for the last nine years. Good height, great take off and zero noise. It has given me some great contacts on both ground-wave and propagation. Another plus for me, is it keeps the hobby fresh as I cannot have a radio on 24/7 and it gets me out of the house.👍

Good luck.👍

morris, Victor, Alan - Mirror Man and Staggy like this post

Back to top Go down
morris
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
morris

Call Sign : 26-CT-11111
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Kent

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 11:19 am

Try calling into the southern area SSB net on Thursday evening from high ground,they often have contacts into Wales, they also have a facebook group,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/240149863411250/

Good luck Smile

glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man and Staggy like this post

Back to top Go down
Staggy

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 2:35 pm

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement.  I had a chat with Arwyn today on FM (which was my first since the 80's) so I am glad that my equipment works and I am very grateful to him.  I will buy a mobile antenna and get to higher ground.  Hopefully I will be able to get more contacts and also contact the southern area SSB net.

GaryWilson, Paddy, morris, glenn dog, Victor, 43CT016, Alan - Mirror Man and like this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 2:43 pm

Propogation for DX isn't the best at the moment but should pick up considerably during October and November.

Alan - Mirror Man and Staggy like this post

Back to top Go down
Kittiwake
Kittiwake

Equipment Used : CB>>Homebase: SS6900n with 1/2w silver rod, Mobile: CRT Millenium (V3) with mini springer......HAM >> Anytone D878UV

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi Pete
Glad to help out and prove your rig works. It was a good contact held over a stretch of the valley of about 2.5miles either side of your QTH with a strong clear signal. Hopefully this will be the first of many for you.

Arwyn

glenn dog, Victor, Alan - Mirror Man, Staggy and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Absolutely spot on Arwyn! 👏

What a star to help a fellow radio enthusiast. Ill bet Pete is flourished with renewed vigour and enthusiasm now Smile

It might not seem much to some, but I think what you've done is awesome.

Well done to all concerned.

All my very best,
Victor

glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man, Staggy, Kittiwake and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Arwyn
Can you have a quick drive past my qth so i can test this Optima lol.
Nice one m8 for helping Pete test his kit.

Victor, Alan - Mirror Man, Staggy and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Kittiwake
Kittiwake

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 6:07 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Arwyn
Can you have a quick drive past my qth so i can test this Optima lol.
Nice one m8 for helping Pete test his kit.

Hi Alan
As it happens, I'm on the road most days as I drive for a haulage company, unfortunately not as far afield as Holyhead  Very Happy
Maybe someone else could follow my example (what have I started) and help you out.
Arwyn

Alan - Mirror Man, Staggy and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Paddy
CT Directors
CT Directors
Paddy

Call Sign : 26CT2727
Times Thanked : 54
QTH or Location : Stockport
Equipment Used : Icom 7300. Icom 705, Yaesu FTM400XD and a Yaesu FT70.

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2020 1:35 pm

Fantastic Arwyn you’re a true Gentleman helping out another member like that.

Pete, once you get out mobile with the mountains around you you will be in seventh heaven I’ll bet. Keep on going Pete. I’m sure it will be worth it.

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
ranger
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
ranger

Call Sign : 26CT140/26TM140
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Essex

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2020 7:19 pm

If your buying a mobile antenna don't get one to small!
Better still basic 1/2 wave silver rod on a bit of pole on a drive on plate or lashed to the farmers fence or what ever you can find!
Should bring you some good results on high ground.
T.

Paddy, Alan - Mirror Man and saltire like this post

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2020 11:58 am

up in north Northumberland is almost the same from my home 20 to my young bro home 20 its like that,
but if you can go mobile use Google heights, and get up high there is very good nets on every week end and most nights of the week, and all them new freqs to use I live in a valley and I am 300ftasl but in a valley, so I go out to a few good spots, and have you tried pmr, I have a base antenna for 446 only, and the crt7m and we get out well to my young bro, he has the crt space u and the sirio pmr 446 antenna , and to explain more we can talk on 11m home to home every day and on the same 11m out and about in the car,but he can not hear me out side my home and its the same I can not hear him, but in the house and crt9900 and a99 we can hear each other, now with the pmr in the car and with a 16cm antenna on a mag mount and the crt space u in the car, and we can have a great contact on low power, and its a great contact no noise crystal clear is this going to be the new cb freqs but if you listen to some say you get no were very short distance, but here is the kick, its 15+miles to my young bros qth,and some say never I can out side my house and when I am out and about, that's 3 in this area on pmr try and get to some high ground and give it a try and with the pmr the crt space is £70 and from nights that's delivery, programmed and to you, and its small, but never think its no good, it is a great radio it gets a little hot but I have a fan on mine and sucks the heat away and drawing cold over the radio, what every you do welcome back to a great hobby, and get them contacts.

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 3:43 pm

Hi Staggy. I know how you feel. I've been listening and scanning almost non-stop on the Irish and UK channels since I resurrected my old Yaesu FT-7B a couple of weeks ago. Admittedly, my antenna is not up to much, but I would have expected to hear some activity either locally or from the odd UK operator. I'll wait until I finish making my magnetic loop before I give up hope - I have only a short wire antenna in the attic right now.

Last edited by Ethergoddle on Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Syntax correction.)
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 5:26 pm

I've got something to say.........

You're absolutely right Martin! Wink

The price of second hand rigs might have gone mental on fleabay, the sale of new CBs outstripped stock, Thunderpole has customer pinpoints all over their map and we've issued callsigns like mad.......so where are they all?

Luckily we had a fairly good summer skip this year or I might have given up CB for dead in my area.
Despite taking my ticket soon I'll still be scanning CB, fingers crossed for the winter solstice skip and looking forward to the sunspot increasing.

CB might be dead on the whole, but boy is it exciting when it picks up! Smile

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 6:10 pm

There was a bit of skip later on this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2020 8:59 pm

You didn't miss much just 1 and 14 i think was all i heard but i was into a book anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting disillusioned   Getting disillusioned Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting disillusioned
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: