Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Baofeng query
shack lighting Icon_minitimeToday at 6:57 am by 26ct954

» Introduction & call sign request
shack lighting Icon_minitimeToday at 5:29 am by Victor

» FT8 - Part Deux
shack lighting Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:51 pm by Victor

» Help to get started again
shack lighting Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:56 pm by NUBSTER

» CRT SS 9900 Reset question
shack lighting Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:46 pm by Ethergoddle

» 11m conditions
shack lighting Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:14 pm by NUBSTER

» Trips Down Memory Lane
shack lighting Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:14 pm by NUBSTER

» power supply led
shack lighting Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:57 pm by Alan Pilot

» Call Sign Request
shack lighting Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:30 pm by John123

Keywords
tickets charlie call Baofeng Calling president antenna Mckinley Mobile lincoln tango midland list power division callsign bazooka frequency 9900 Sirio sign ss9900 alan radio chart ss6900n
QRZ Database

shack lighting

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Holyhead
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A.

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 10:36 am

What are people using for lighting.(2 to 3 s points)...
I have 2 LED strip lights but didn't realise how noisy they where until it started getting dark early.
Any links to kit you have would be very welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Call Sign : 26 CT050 26 FB080 26 WT105 26 TE171
Times Thanked : 39
QTH or Location : NORTH LONDON
Equipment Used : original President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 11:15 am

Just a old school desk lamp no LED normal bulbs
shack lighting 2429bk10

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 63
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 11:28 am

What am I using for lighting?........Incandescent! (In the radio shack at least.)

I feel for you Alan and what nonsense can come your way trying to sort out noisy lighting.
Just about every CFL, LED and LED strips I have ever tried out completely obliterates radio reception!

In my workshop I couldn't get DAB radio reception whenever the strip lights were turned on. (Fluorescent.) I even took the electronic ballasts back to the suppliers who happily exchanged them only to face the same problem. In the end they exchanged the electronic ballasts for traditional inductive/capacitive types and the problem went away...

This was after the nightmare I had when trying to 'upgrade' them to LED strips!! Evil or Very Mad

In my shack, as it was originally a bedroom, it had 'upgraded' LED light bulbs some time back but I had to immediately remove them to get any sort of radio reception. I now only have incandescent type light bulbs in here, (main light and side lamp).

You can still get incandescent bulbs luckily, so a while back I grabbed as many as I could afford in case they started becoming unavailable. I've probably got enough to outlive me Wink

Of course it doesn't sort out neighbours lighting choices. With the clocks due to go back this weekend I know that my radio is going to gain another 2 or 3 S-points of noise as the neighbours turn their lights on Sad

I already get flood lit from the neighbours porch lights on the opposite side of the road let alone the increase in RFI!

I'm just waiting for Xmas now. If last year was anything to go by when all those wonderful coloured cheap Chinese LED lights go up any type of radio work is going to be next to impossible. I'm just glad we live in a village with no street lights so we don't have Council LED atrocities adding further to the problems....

It's all the fun of the fair mate! Very Happy

Someone else will probably suggest certain manufacturers lighting, (usually expensive and not always guaranteed to alleviate the problem), or a tonne of ferrite cores all over your wiring. Believe you me it was far cheaper to buy incandescent bulbs than ferrite cores. (you'll need decent toroids, the clip-ons are useless). 

"Oooh, but what about the environment?!" - yeah right, not driving a hulking SUV, never been on a plane and always holiday in the UK - I think my conscience is clear Razz Very Happy

Have fun Alan Wink

All the best,
Victor

NUBSTER, glenn dog and AllanG like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 am

Martins got it right 👍

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 11:53 am

LOL Victor.
I drive a BMW X5 3Ltr diesel and love spending time in Egypt twice a year if we can.
But i try to use low power lighting.
Think i will have to get some bayonet fittings to use old fashioned bulbs but my shed roof is not that high.(pent roof ??..think it's called).
Will do a bit of homework but i do like it bright so don't want massive wattage.??????????????

Back to top Go down
View user profile
glenn dog
Contributor
Contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : TUUSLA- FINLAND
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 12:06 pm

Nice info there from Victor, i had few built in spot lights what were killing my radio, IKEA cheap led light, but i am ok here, not much QRM, in a built up area but so far only around 2/3 on the meter during the day, night time drops to around 1, good for usb long distance chats.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

Equipment Used : original President Lincoln, Midland 8001XT, President Teddy , Silver Eagle microphones , Gainmaster antenna, use a AMP ofcourse I do sometimes

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 12:55 pm

My daughter brought me on of those style  lamp.when she was over IKEA one time getting herself some stuff , she also got some bulbs that was like normal bulbs fitting but was really bright white like bright LED ,they might be LED inside for all I know but I get no interference from it.

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 2:03 pm

If you search for bulbs 99% come up as led.
Just reading up a bit as there must be some that will work in a radio environment.
Not had much luck yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 3:25 pm

I've got no problem with 'enviromentalism' Allen or what people do, it's just when they shove it down my throat for having 'old fashioned' incandescent lights!? Very Happy Very Happy

If you do manage to find lighting that doesn't interfere with radio reception you'll have to let us all know. I felt like I was on a quest for the flipping holy grail! Wink

Good luck mate.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS7900 - Sirio 2016

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 5:23 pm

Come on Vic,

What voltage does your Radio work on  Question

What bubs take approx 12V  bounce bounce

Why go for 240V when you can used a simple incandescent 12v bulbs normally found in  Question  bounce cheers

73's

Graeme.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2020 7:41 pm

Ha! Very Happy

Funnily enough Graeme my electronics bench worklight is a ....... 12 volt halogen Wink

My Sharman 30A has more than enough grunt and about the only switched mode PSU I've found that doesn't affect the radio.

Can't say the same for 12V led or fluorescent strips though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 8:02 am

Trying the 12v strips tomorrow when they arrive.
I have the linear 30a power supply to run them off so we will see.
Amazon can have them back if they are noisy (prime member i borrow things from them now and again).
A problem i have is when the work top was fitted in the shed it was fitted higher than desk height so i sit on a bar stool so not a lot between my head and the pent roof.
It would be a lot of work for me to lower it too much in fact for me to do so it will be a bit of trial and error to find the right lights and if all goes well next month i will want to spend a bit more time in there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 8:43 am

Victor,

Funnily enough, I used a couple of 12v interior lights in the garage run of an old car battery for a while until I was able to safely run a 240v supply. I now have LED strip-lights but thankfully my kit is indoors now.

Alan,

Keeping my fingers crossed your 12v versions work well for you.

All the very best

Graeme.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 9:52 am

Just testing i lose 2.5 s points with the LED lights off.(a 5ft and a 4ft)but can't see it will do anything disconnecting one of them.
Will be tomorrow after dinner time when i get the 12v ones to try but will report back.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 11:25 am

Nice one Graeme, great to hear your kit is indoors now. Is that you with a operational shack indoors as well?

----------------

Alan, yes you'll have to let us all know how you get on mate. You'll need a good RF quiet light when you get to write down all those callsigns next month Wink

Hope the lights are good. I did have a 12V strip light that surprisingly had a microprocessor in it for a push button on/off, (probably cheaper for the Chinese than a switch?!?). The damn thing spewed signals every 2MHz right through the HF bands and could even hear it on a VHF radio!  Shocked

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 6:51 pm

Hi Victor,

Yes,
All indoors nice and warm nowadays, to cold for my old bones in the garage - lol

Graeme.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 10:26 pm

Glad to hear it Graeme Smile

Nothing like a nice warm radio shack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cube

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : President McKinley EU

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 11:25 pm

Good timing, I'm going through the same thing re selecting lighting and cabling. Except I ordered some lights a few weeks back while also looking at discussions about RF noise online and learning more about it.  So I tested my new lights (they aren't installed properly yet) and found the noise to be really bad.  I mean really bad.  It properly drowns out the existing really bad noise by a couple more on the s meter.  I think I'd be lucky to receive someone at the end of the road.  And that's with only 2 running of the 4 I'm intending to install.  The aerial was 6m above during testing.

After a fair bit of searching I found some articles about making a cage - I experimented using kitchen foil around the power supplies, it made it worse :-) though was very quick and dirty.

I found this article that recommends Verbatim LED transformers but they seem to be 12V and mine need about 30V:
https://reductionrevolution.com.au/blogs/news-reviews/solutions-to-led-lights-causing-tv-radio-interference

I also found this that recommends Mean Well power supplies for LED lighting:
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/402021/how-do-i-specify-a-low-rfi-led-driver

Mean Well seem to be based in the UK:
https://www.meanwelldirect.co.uk/products/

I also read that extending the cables of the low voltage side of noisy power supplies isn't a good idea because the extended cable becomes a nice big noise transmission antenna.  I was thinking about doing this to put all the transformers together in some sort of screening.

Hope that helps.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 7:15 am

Great input there Quentin. 

Isn't it a shame that we all have to go through this hassle when RF clean lighting should really be a de facto standard.
I hope you resolve your issues too and it's great to see so many people here trying to help each other.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 2:20 pm

Quick update.
Just plugged the 12v LED strip lights into my 30a liner power supply and turned the mains ones of.
Result the 2 s points the mains ones give out have gone so nothing of the 12v pair i bought.
I will need another pair i think but will fit the 2 i have before ordering more.
£12.99 for 2 delivered spot on.(don't know if the type of psu makes any difference)... 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WF68YZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 12:30 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 12:40 pm

Alan your  video sayes you have to give people permission to watch it mate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 2:06 pm

Is that a problem ??.
First ever video i have uploaded/posted.

Update,,,I have set it to private in youtube.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NUBSTER
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
NUBSTER

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 3:26 pm

It just wont show the video Alan ,I was trying to take a screen shot of what  message comes up on the on the screen but it wont let me , basically it says you have to give permission to watch it and we have to sign in on something to watch it, dont if anyone else has noticed  I presume not as I'm the only one who's mentioned about it , see if anyone else say anything mate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

shack lighting Empty
PostSubject: Re: shack lighting   shack lighting Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2020 5:17 pm

Does this work
https://youtu.be/UTma72e2ysg
Back to top Go down
View user profile

shack lighting
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: