Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
Baofeng sign list supply 2023 meter anytone lincoln 9900 yaesu software call display chart Mckinley power Mobile antenna ALINCO 2022 Sirio president frequency callsign 6900 ss9900
QRZ Database

Antenna in a tree

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tphj

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Luthermuir Aberdeenshire
Equipment Used : non

Antenna in a tree Empty
PostSubject: Antenna in a tree   Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 1:35 pm

I am considering mounting an antenna on a pole in a tree.
Is this feasible and is there anything I should consider?

Paul

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Antenna in a tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna in a tree   Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2020 3:26 pm

Hi Paul,

If you can get an antenna up the tree, then it is quite feasible Wink

Many radio operators have used trees for antenna supports so they can't all be wrong, (although arguments ensue about water content of trees, blah-de-blah).

Anything to consider?

Trees are not indestructible, a good wind can take them down.
Trees get hit by lightning, if the tree gets hit then so does your antenna.
Trees grow all the time, so don't be surprised if a new branch growth knocks your antenna out or the tree grows around your antenna!

The list could go on, squirrels chewing your coax, woodpeckers, etc. etc. If you run high power, then you could get high voltages knocking down some unsuspecting squirrel or child climbing the tree......the last one isn't as funny sounding as the squirrel falling Very Happy
(That'll be the animal activists in fury at that one - it's a joke, grow a sense of humour).

Talking of which, you'll get the "Trees are there to provide air for us to breathe.....", so to them antennas in trees are a no-no.

But if you lash a pole around a tree don't be surprised if a steel band clamp or other such 'rings' the tree killing it in the process. Also, what condition is the tree in? Hard to tell if a tree is diseased sometimes and you could well bring it down in the process. (Falling trees are heavy, very heavy, heavy enough to kill anyone they fall on!)

As said, many radio operators have used trees as supports for antennas - up to you really Wink

(I know that doesn't sound too helpful but it's just some things to consider, which must be of some help.)

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog, tphj and Captain Fantastic like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Antenna in a tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna in a tree   Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 9:55 am

Victor gave a great reply there, i have had a scanner antenna in a tree for 2 years now, Discone type and all ok, its on a metal pole with a base going in to the tree branch area so it is not so visible to keep the wife happy, cable in a thin metal tube to protect from wild life, back garden backs on to a forest so plenty of wild life, and works ok for what i need, good luck in what you find works for you.

Victor, tphj and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

Antenna in a tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna in a tree   Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 10:05 am

Hi GlenDog. 
My antenna is a Hawkins 1/2 wave and is on a 9m pole next to the tree in our garden. 

It’s close enough to get all the cover through the spring/summer and autumn which makes it invisible then but not having the difficult decision of how to mount it. 

It also means I can drop it 3m or so if there is  storm or strong winds about very quickly. 

Good luck. 

John

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Antenna in a tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna in a tree   Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 10:27 am

Hi John, the scanner antenna is on a pole, 6metre in 2 meter sections, so it can be made shorter for storms like you do at your location, its a very strong pole, it is a pole for tree cutting with a saw on the end so it is made of good metal, joints and so on, use a 10 meter version for the the main cb antenna the Gain master and has been ok for 2 years now, i have a balcony on the back of the house and fix the pole to that base floor area so 10 meter is enough to clear the house roof, and reduce it when not on the radio, good working practice so far.
Nice to have you back on the forum, glad you are well again.
Take care there in the Uk.

Victor, tphj and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Antenna in a tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna in a tree   Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 10:58 am

Great feedback there guys and all helpful to the OP, Paul.

If we 'considered' everything we do, we'd never get anything done! Wink Very Happy

------------------

John, (TriStar), I mirror Glenn's sentiment, good to see you back mate. Smile
I had just seen somewhere on the forum that you hadn't been well so hope you're much better now and on the mend.

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

Antenna in a tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna in a tree   Antenna in a tree Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Thanks guys!

Glad to be back,!

John

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Antenna in a tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna in a tree   Antenna in a tree Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Antenna in a tree
Page 1 of 1