Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeToday at 6:08 am by SangueG

» EU conditions have started
PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

» Ten on 10m FM - event 20th April
PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm by SangueG

» END FED QUESTIONS ..
PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
supply president display meter Mckinley Mobile antenna list 6900 chart power frequency lincoln Sirio anytone 9900 call 2023 2022 ss9900 Baofeng yaesu callsign ALINCO software sign
QRZ Database

PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
redsprite
redsprite

Call Sign : 26-CT-3697
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Hemel Hempstead Hertfordshire
Equipment Used : PRESIDENT MCKINLEY.RadioMoble / SIRIO GAINMASTER 5/8.Sigma Venom 1/2 wave.

PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Empty
PostSubject: PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION.   PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 5:07 am

Hi all,

had my McKinley for a while now and been getting some pretty good reports on the audio both on FM and SSB. A lot of reports people are giving me are saying that the AUDIO is a bit quiet compared to the signal,more especially on SSB.

I have expanded the radio and it now puts out just over 20 watts on FM and SSB.
I am only using the standard mic but I am thinking audio could be improved on FM by increasing FM deviation a bit. I think it's set between 1.5 and 2khz so maybe would benefit by increasing it to 5khz and widening the bandwidth a bit more.

Not sure HOW to improve the SSB?

Also I have recently tried a little KL 203 linear,with mixed results. Doesn't sound too bad on FM, driving it with about 4 watts.   On SSB.....USB I  am getting reports of SPIKES on the audio,and sounding "scratchy" ( driving it on 8 watts)so not sure but some RF maybe creeping in from somewhere. I have to say that the power leads on the linear are VERY short and are pretty close to the radio.

Anyway any advice would be appreciated.

redsprite

Steph.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
redsprite
redsprite

Equipment Used : PRESIDENT MCKINLEY.RadioMoble / SIRIO GAINMASTER 5/8.Sigma Venom 1/2 wave.

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION.   PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 10:28 am

Nubster thanks for your input.

The McKinley does not have a NUMBERS scale it has an RF GAIN BAR scale  -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- consisting of 10 BARS as you see with 2 dashes in each bar. On FM  ( with NO linear ) if I set the BAR scale at 1, which shows as 2 dashes, on my power meter this equates to 4 watts dead key.

It's hard to tell what each section of the BAR scale represents but if I put it on SSB with the BAR INDICATOR on FULL  scale ( no linear ) it will PEAK about 15 watts with a whistle, so not sure.

Unfortunately Knights and all the others are sold out of the KPO mics and have been for a while with no indication of when the will re stock.

Steph.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
redsprite
redsprite

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION.   PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 11:19 am

Nubster, thanks for the Thunderpole link, I just emailed them just to check they ARE in stock.They are showing up on the online shop.

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
redsprite
redsprite

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION.   PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Had an email back the SALES dept. Thunderpole.

Unfortunately we are sold out too.

However they are on order, so should hopefully be with us in a few weeks.

If you keep checking our website, it will be automatically updated once they are in stock.

Crazy really, not sure who their suppliers are or where these mics are made but someone is missing out on a LOT of potential SALES here.

Redsprite

Back to top Go down
redsprite
redsprite

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION.   PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2020 2:14 pm

Cheers Nubster, i,m on their site now. Just asked if the KPO 532 was STILL  available. Unfortunately it's GONE  appreciate you flagging it up though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION.   PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PRESIDENT McKINLEY FM DEVIATION.
Page 1 of 1