Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Silver Rod
FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by Wireless

» DC HI warning on SS 6900N
FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 1:35 pm by Chickenfoot@1987

» Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?
FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 pm by Alan Pilot

» Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?
FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 1:22 pm by Alan Pilot

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 12:30 pm by morris

» Stolen radio
FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 12:22 pm by Lima alpha 1

» HF Contacts 15m
FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:40 am by SangueG

» Arwen whats she done.
FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 9:57 am by Markone

» 17metre contacts
FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 9:01 am by Ivy Mike

Keywords
display 9900 lincoln Calling callsign ss9900 president SS6900 yaesu 6900 radio chart sign power antenna coax ALINCO call list frequency bazooka supply Mobile midland Mckinley Sirio
QRZ Database

FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III)

Go down 
+2
43CT016
Victor
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CyDer DrinKer
CyDer DrinKer

Call Sign : M3VUI
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Somerset
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTDX3000- Yaesu FT8900R - Homebrew Half G5RV - 2/70 Co-Linear - Antron 99

FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III)   FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2021 12:45 pm

Hey Victor

Thought I’d update on my headache

Either your very clever or I’m very stupid or somewhere in between one of us did or did not get that software degree!

I’ve utterly failed so far in even getting the PC to talk to the radio!

Firstly I downloaded the suggested drivers for my Macs USB port, attempted to install them and they just fail everytime.

So I blamed the Mac OS, so I partitioned the drive on the Mac and installed Windows 10 and plugged the cable USB in, at which point Windows 10 immediately downloaded the drivers required, hey presto I thought, how wrong was I.

I went into Device Manager to check the drivers were in the PC’s PORT configuration as per online instructions only to find there is no PORT section in Device Manager as shown online.

I’ve not even bothered with FLDIGI or HRD at this point as I cannot get passed step 1.

I’ve spent several hours at this at various times, disappointed!

Enjoying the sofa for now ;/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 38
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III)   FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2021 1:49 pm

Not 100% sure but i got my drivers from Yaesu as windows drivers don't work.
With the Yaesu driver you get 2 com-ports and you use the " Enhanced " port.
Might help you as i got my FT991A working in no time and Victor will tell you how dumb i can be.

Edit  Install the driver before plugging the cable in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
CyDer DrinKer
CyDer DrinKer

Equipment Used : Yaesu FTDX3000- Yaesu FT8900R - Homebrew Half G5RV - 2/70 Co-Linear - Antron 99

PostSubject: Re: FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III)   FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2021 4:53 pm

WOOOHOOOOOOO

ok I’ve had to go back to basics, I pulled out an old Windows 7 laptop and followed online guides from various sources and still no go.

Finally singled it down to one thing, a difference in the software and Rig Cat lead data speeds.
Aligned them up and POW , I have TX Wink

Very happy dude now.

I’ve stepped away for a pint and will consider fiddling and aligning configurations on others PCs and Mac and see what I can and cannot use.

Was going to try a quick QSO and the band dropped for the evening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III)   FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2021 5:52 pm

When i first got my radio i couldn't get it working very well on the pc and everything i had seen said just a normal A to B usb cable would work and had several laying around so had used one.
I then invested in a better quality one just to put my mind at rest but blow me it worked.
Just goes to show you can end up pulling your hair out and it all comes down to a bit of wire in the end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
CyDer DrinKer
CyDer DrinKer

PostSubject: Re: FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III)   FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2021 9:32 pm

I bought a cable just for this.
Seems to be of good quality despite only being £7
Tonights issue seems to be lack of communication once again after a restart of the laptop.
Annoyingly the PORT Numbers changed?
That would kill it every time if they change on every restart!

Currently testing the set up to see if I can locate whether this always happens
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III)   FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 7:21 am

Are you making contacts ?.
I struggled at first and it turned out to be my clock was slightly out of sync so i use this site and went into the time settings (think i turned automatic off).
https://time.is/

Edit i just went to time/date settings on this pc and klicked sync and it set it spot on first go without turning anything off (wired internet connection)
The pc in my shack is on wireless connection and it needs a bit of tinkering to sync it spot on.

Victor,,,, my memory is getting better i remembered what i did and so many weeks later lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 169
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III)   FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2021 11:36 am

Oh the fun of 'virtual' COM ports on Windoze & Mac! Wink

I've ran Linux for years now and all I had to do was make a simple command line in the terminal to fix all my USB woes. (Sounds smug I know, but it's exactly the reason I run Linux - I like to tell the PC what it's supposed to be doing, not the other way around!)

Unfortunately I haven't any recent experience with other operating systems so can't provide much help. I remember in the old days you could alter the hardware flag settings to keep changes permanent. I'm not sure if the atypical 'device managers' allow you to do that anymore(?)

I did have problems with CAT control that turned out to be the software routines not running serial commands properly to my old FT757GX. However if I sent the commands via a terminal to the radio as listed in the Yaesu manual everything ran fine suggesting the software providers got it wrong. Email queries as such heralded the responses of "too old to support, not on the support list", etc. etc. In the end I ran my radio with just an audio interface programming the FT8 frequencies into the radios memory bank. You just have to remember to switch to upper sideband. Wink

I know that the FTDI USB leads have problems and it's always suggested to use their specific driver routines. The problem with that is how many counterfeit Chinese 'FTDI' leads are about and you won't find out until you try using one.

For my own use I made up a USB/Serial lead using a CP2102 module circumventing the FTDI problems. I also have a Nikkai lead that runs perfectly fine as well.

Alan's mention of the timing issue with the system clock isn't something I've experienced but the PC I'm using is running on a LAN Ethernet connection tied to internet time. Seems to work fine for me and as long as you are synchronised to within a second or so the FT8 software handles it well.

Well, sorry I can't help any further Simon, I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Alan - Yes mate, well impressed with your advancement in technical knowledge and remembering it! Smile
You've got your Yaesu well sussed, CAT control, System Fusion, etc. Flipping well done!  FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 1f44d

Anyway lads, I have a lovely roast dinner my missus has whipped up with my name on it today. I'll be noshing that and crashing on the sofa for the afternoon! Hope you all have an equally blissful Sunday.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III)   FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FT8 - What? Again? (Episode III)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: The Amateur Lounge :: Amateur Discussions-
Jump to: