Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Advice.....?
Foundation exam Icon_minitimeToday at 5:12 am by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Foundation exam Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 pm by John123

» 10m dxcc ......
Foundation exam Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 am by peewee norfolk

» Multimode mobile antenna
Foundation exam Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Foundation exam Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Foundation exam Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Foundation exam Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Foundation exam Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
Foundation exam Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
lincoln supply power software Mobile yaesu sign Mckinley Sirio 2023 6900 president display list callsign chart frequency ss9900 9900 Baofeng antenna meter call ALINCO 2022 anytone
QRZ Database

Foundation exam

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-954, M7PLD..
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ellesmere Port
Equipment Used : icom 718,cobweb,anytone 667,

Foundation exam Empty
PostSubject: Foundation exam   Foundation exam Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 9:40 am

Good morning, I started the Essex ham foundation course yesterday I noticed in the faq, about practical, rsgb exam it mentioned practical surely this was before covid,also on rsgb mock papers, I got a score of 23 on paper one, and 24 on paper 2, I know this is a pass, Has anyone done the exam recently would like to know if the questions are very similar to the mock 2019 papers..

Victor and TJS 26CT3029 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Foundation exam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foundation exam   Foundation exam Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 10:22 am

Hi Chris,

You're quite right, practical assessments were dropped so I wouldn't worry about them.

The questions you receive on your exam will be taken from a pool of RSGB questions so you won't necessarily get the same ones as a particular mock paper or indeed someone else. I wouldn't let that worry you though, the Essex Ham course will train you for every eventuality covering all subjects equally. That way you can be assured that you'll be able to answer any question thrown your way Smile

Pete at Essex Ham is excellent, he will always happily answer any queries you may have through the training website and even directly should you wish. He also holds a video seminar through the course which will allow you to ask any other questions you may have. 

The online course is split into appropriate topics and there are 'mock' questionnaires along the way so you can see how you are progressing. If there is any area that you struggle with you can go back to that topic, restudy and in some instances take the mini mock again. (Some can be only done once though.)

I wouldn't fret about anything, (easier said than done I know), but just enjoy the course as you progress through. You'll be surprised at how well you study and learn as the course is run extremely well.

I can only give you one main piece of advice that I learned myself during the course and have passed onto others - take your time...

Patiently read through the course materials, (I bought the Foundation book but found I didn't need it as the course covers everything), and it will all sink in. Do the same when answering the mini mocks, read and reread the questions as otherwise you'll make silly mistakes. The same is true for the final exam, there is plenty of time so pace yourself well.

I hope that helps somewhat and it just leaves me to wish you the very best in your studies and your final exam.

Remember, Pete at Essex Ham is an extremely helpful guy and more than qualified/experienced to answer your questions so don't hesitate to ask him.

All the best,
Victor

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Foundation exam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foundation exam   Foundation exam Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 1:28 pm

100% agree with Victor.
Also i passed in November Victor gave me a lot on advice and calmed me down quite often lol.
I got an APP called UK Amateur Radio Mock Tests and that helped me.
As said take your time and read the questions for me i told myself to read them 3 times as i am dyslexic so read them twice at least lol.
I didn't get any questions on my test that i had seen before but with the Essex course i did ok.
You get plenty of time to do the test more than enough even for me and i went back through them all again when i had finished before i clicked  end test.
One other thing you need a webcam you can move around to show all of the room you are in i say this as i have an all in one pc with camera but a bit big to lift and show the room so i bought a cheep one that sits on top of the screen.

Victor, 26ct954 and Chefsdead like this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

Foundation exam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foundation exam   Foundation exam Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2021 11:26 pm

Good luck with it, Chris.👍

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Foundation exam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foundation exam   Foundation exam Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2021 9:45 am

I can confirm their are still no practical in both the FL and Intermediate level exams.

RSGB statement,
Some of the Foundation training relates to the practical elements of getting started as a radio amateur. There is a small amount of radio and electronics theory but only enough for you to understand how to safely assemble your equipment, adjust an antenna, make your first contacts and then get the most out of your radio station. Usually you would take a practical assessment as part of gaining your licence but we have suspended this temporarily due to Covid-19 restrictions.
Student information - Radio Society of Great Britain - Main Site : Radio Society of Great Britain – Main Site (rsgb.org)

Hope that helps?
Mark.
Back to top Go down
essexham
essexham

Call Sign : M0PSX
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Southend-on-Sea
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857

Foundation exam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foundation exam   Foundation exam Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2021 10:11 am

Hi,

Thanks for kind words about our online course - always great to hear that people find it useful and we're helped people to pass.

On the original question - To confirm, there are no practicals due to Corona. Is there something in the FAQ that says that practicals are still required? The entry I found says "no practicals" - E7: Do I still have to do the practicals (at a club)? | Ham Train (essexham.co.uk)

As for how close our mock exams are to the actual exams, see C19: How close are the course mock questions to the exam questions? | Ham Train (essexham.co.uk) in our FAQ.

Best of luck with your studies.

Pete

Victor, 43CT016 and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.essexham.co.uk
Sponsored content

Foundation exam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foundation exam   Foundation exam Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foundation exam
Page 1 of 1