Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Advice.....?
2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeToday at 5:12 am by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 pm by John123

» 10m dxcc ......
2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 am by peewee norfolk

» Multimode mobile antenna
2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
lincoln ss9900 Mckinley chart Mobile display frequency anytone call Baofeng yaesu 9900 sign ALINCO software Sirio 6900 2023 meter supply list callsign antenna president power 2022
QRZ Database

2020 Pass rates

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 9:46 am

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/february/online-exams-boost-ham-radio-numbers.htm - 90% for Foundation - 87% for Intermediate - 68% for Full. To put those figures into some form of context many many years ago when I took the C&G 2391-10 which was the industry "Standard" exam for electrical contracting the pass rate was 25-35 %  so for a hobby with an easy route in ( imo ) the exam difficulty would appear to be about right (# maybe  )

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 11:49 am

Feels really good to see those numbers! Smile

(Although I would still have a concern about the 300 or so people who didn't achieve Foundation - what were the reasons?)

Really goes to showcase the efforts of those involved in making the online exams a reality and the scores of volunteers providing training courses, let alone the exam invigilators. A very well done to all concerned!!!

I can't see the comparison with an old qualification for someone involved in electrical contracting though. If you are in a trade and responsible for the test, verification, installation or otherwise of an electrical system I'd damn well expect you to be 'competent' and qualified! (I've met some shoddy 'sparks' in my time! Wink)

Whereas the 'Foundation' is really supposed to be an introduction into what can become a very rewarding hobby. If the hobby is not what individuals expect they will soon move onto another interest with not much lost. They can however move further into the hobby should they wish and progress up the qualifications learning as they go and be suitably rewarded for their efforts. Others will be happy to stay at whatever level they attain or satisfied with their achievement and concentrate on exploring the hobby further. (Amateur Radio has so many interest paths!)

Personally I think the move to online examinations has been a fantastic move that will hopefully reinvigorate the hobby. It certainly helped me in that I was no longer hindered by course cancellations, finding a 'good' club, or even indeed limited by my physical disability.

I certainly look forward to exploring my radio interests further, by personal choice, without hindrance and at whatever level I care to choose.

So, to all of you who passed their Radio Amateur exam in the last year at whatever level, I will say once again....

VERY WELL DONE!! 

(Even if that was just for mastering an online world of tuition, study and examination - a feat in itself!)

All my best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Norfolk
Equipment Used : Uniden BCT 15X

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 11:58 am

I just missed the multiple choice RAE  & had to take a single paper written exam & from what little I have seen of todays exams, my test was much more narrow, but deeper, in the  knowledge  of that narrow field to pass the exam. Being a written answer, I could chose which few questions I choose to answer, so provided  I  had done my home work, which I had. It was a reasonably simple test to pass, as all I  needed to know was electronics, nothing about interference, operating, etc etc.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 12:13 pm

Victor wrote:
I can't see the comparison with an old qualification for someone involved in electrical contracting though. If you are in a trade and responsible for the test, verification, installation or otherwise of an electrical system I'd damn well expect you to be 'competent' and qualified! (I've met some shoddy 'sparks' in my time! Wink)

Back when I took my exam & even the later multi choice RAE. A RAE was seen as an electrical/electronic qualification. My exam was purely about electronics & transmitter design. 

So when I left school, I walked into a higher level apprenticeship, with better money than my friends were getting, as the collage knocked the first year off my apprenticeship.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 12:45 pm

I can see how that happened Nick, especially back in the day.

I took an apprenticeship that led onto an ONC, HNC and ultimate HND in Electronics spending a great career in the sector all thanks to that boyhood fascination of radio.

However, just like how my career disappeared from the British shores the world moves on. The same has happened for Amateur Radio and the days of operators 'having' to build their own equipment were numbered. If someone wishes to pursue that path of interest they can and even the basic electronic theory of todays Intermediate licence can spark the imagination. It's hardly an 'electronic' qualification though.

I still think they have done well to expand the hobby, realise it's a hobby and are far more welcoming to those with a passion for radio whatever their level of so called expertise. I think they have done well to change with the times and technology as well as address certain factors such as RFI etc.

It's not quite there, (still befuddled with having to know the height of the ionosphere in km's?!?!?), but it has evolved nicely.

Seasick likes this post

Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 1:16 pm

Looking at todays system, it is very much like an apprenticeship, you start very basic & work through to tradesman. 

I knew nothing about operating from taking my RAE, we got that by being SWL's. Todays candidates from what I have seen know an awful lot more about interference & operating that I was taught. From what I have seen, I do think todays system is better for the hobby.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 1:37 pm

Online exams boost ham radio numbers
The RSGB has released the statistics for the UK amateur radio exams held in 2020

The figures released cover the whole of 2020 for both in-person and Remotely Invigilated (RI) Online exams. Due to the pandemic in-person exams were only held during the first 10 weeks of the year and there weren't many of them.

RI Online Foundation exams that people can do from home started in mid-April but the RI Online Intermediate exams weren't available until August. Full exams didn't get underway until the end of October.  No exams were held in the last two weeks of December.

Note the Exam Candidates figures are for exams booked, there are a number of "no-shows" as circumstances can mean not everyone is able to sit their exam on the day booked.

2020             Exam Candidates     Passes
Foundation            3087                   2774
Intermediate         868                     759
Full                      378                     258

The number of people passing Foundation in 2020 was double that of 2019, this number of newcomers is a return to levels last seen in 2002.

The figures for the Full exam are especially pleasing to see. While free online training courses have been available for Foundation and Intermediate there were no training courses available for the Full exam so candidates had to rely on just self-study of the Full training manual. Although the online Full exam was only available for about 7 weeks of the year the numbers passing were two-thirds of the entire total for 2019.

The RSGB is currently consulting on its proposal to introduce a new Direct To Full exam, details are at
https://www.rsgb.org/direct-to-full

Exam Ham report on Direct To Full
https://www.essexham.co.uk/direct-to-full.html

Essex ham UK Amateur Radio Exam Statistics page
https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/uk-amateur-radio-exam-stats/

ESC reports and statistics for pevious years RSGB exams are available at
https://rsgb.org/main/about-us/committees/examination-standards-committee/esc-reports/
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 3:56 pm

I agree with you there Nick.

We do have to be mindful though that an operator could be far more eminently qualified than their call sign or licence level first suggests. Wink

Indeed, we should address individuals for who they are, not their 'token' assignments.

Let's just hope that the fantastic numbers of newly qualified Amateurs get the warm welcome they deserve on air and embraced for their passionate interest in radio.

(Just as we should embrace others with a radio interest, regardless of what it is.)
Back to top Go down
53 Prefect
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
53 Prefect

Call Sign : VA3XUK & G6ZGU
QTH or Location : Oro Medonte, Ontario
Equipment Used : Icom, Kenwood, Uniden, Stalker

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 4:01 pm

Just saw the other day that exam requests in USA are up since covid, Guess all those bored people that have Been putting it off for years, finally knuckled down
 Ha, who'd of though it!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 4:12 pm

Let's hope it wasn't all down to boredom Jeff. Wink
Back to top Go down
53 Prefect
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
53 Prefect

Call Sign : VA3XUK & G6ZGU
QTH or Location : Oro Medonte, Ontario
Equipment Used : Icom, Kenwood, Uniden, Stalker

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 4:28 pm

Well you know what it is like, you just keep putting it off. Do you know how much energy it took for me to take the Canadian exam? I passed RAE in 1982 in the UK. I just did not want to do it all over again.
But here using the call VE3/G6ZGU was driving me bonkers! Buggers don't do reciprocal full term licence here, only 6 months. And you know what? exactly the same as when I took it in UK! Whats the point? Just swop drivers licence, but oh no, bloody exam here for ham radio licence! Ahh well, I passed with honours. So have full privileges. Got the call I wanted too, VA3XUK.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Ha! Very Happy
What a faff around you had to go through Jeff.

Glad you got there with your perseverance, but what an awesome call sign! Well worth it in the end. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2020 Pass rates Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2020 Pass rates   2020 Pass rates Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2020 Pass rates
Page 1 of 1