Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Latest Buxton 2021 News fingers crossed this years bash may take place so watch this space
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» HAM INTERNATIONAL UK
Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:40 am by John123

» SHACK SIGN
Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:52 pm by STARSHIP

» Call sign request (Issued)
Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:03 pm by GaryWilson

» Call sign request (Issued)
Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:57 pm by GaryWilson

» Ofcom release database of issued UK amateur radio callsigns
Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:27 pm by A5H5ATAN1C

» Quickly improving any detachable HH antenna .
Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:03 pm by A5H5ATAN1C

» 11m conditions
Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:38 pm by Victor

» The theoretical and the analogue real world imbalance
Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:31 pm by A5H5ATAN1C

» SIRIO 827 ... MODIFYING RADIALS
Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:58 am by Alan Pilot

Keywords
president ss6900n 6900 division Mobile antenna bazooka sign Sirio power SS6900 radio frequency callsign midland Mckinley list lincoln Calling Baofeng ss9900 call ALINCO display 9900 chart
QRZ Database

Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brian Weston

Call Sign : 26-CT-4009
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : PETERBOROUGH
Equipment Used : CRT SS 7900

Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Empty
PostSubject: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 12:51 pm

Hi All,
I'm a new member just waiting for my new CRT 7900 to be delivered. Anyone on here from Peterborough / cambs area? Are there any nets? 
I used to be on CB in the late 80's and 90's. I did my ham foundation / intermediate license but with having a family I sold most of my gear due to no time. I thought I would give CB another go and hopefully 27555 when the conditions get better.

Chat soon
Brian

BigSi21 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 24
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A.

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 12:57 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.
You will find it a lot quieter than it was when you where last on.
Up in North Wales so can't help you with local net's.

BigSi21 and Brian Weston like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian Weston

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 1:52 pm

Thanks Alan, I have been listening on my SDR and not heard much. I will see how I get on with the new rig.

BigSi21 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Brian Weston

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 3:11 pm

Thanks Nubster, yes the good old days are long gone, internet and mobile phones killed it. Hopefully some good SSB when the conditions allow. I'm working from home so I can keep it on monitor. 

NUBSTER and BigSi21 like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Norfolk
Equipment Used : Uniden BCT 15X

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 3:47 pm

Brian Weston wrote:
Anyone on here from Peterborough / cambs area? 

Not now, but I lived there for a couple of years around 78/79/80 & CB was busy with AM then.

BigSi21 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 115
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 4:14 pm

Hi Brian,

I'm down the road a bit from your way and can honestly say I was shocked at how quiet the CB bands were when I came back to it all. After spending months hearing nothing I became a bit dispondent so decided to get my Ham ticket. In the meantime though the summer did bring in some great continental skip both with some SSB action but also some European FM.
I'm enjoying the Ham bands but looking forward to some more skip this summer on CB but also this time some 10m action Wink

As you're licensed you could also consider picking up a cheap Baofeng should you wish and check out 2m/70cm. Plenty of repeater action goes on. (Well, far more than CB anyway.)

We're racing towards that summer skip and hopefully you can even go out mobile without fearing the Stazi stopping you for an 'unnecessary trip' Very Happy

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Brian Weston

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 4:30 pm

Hi Victor,
Seems like it might be quiet then but as you say it won't be long to summer so hopefully get some nice skip. I do have a small Alinco 2/70 rig and there are some people on but I really used to enjoy the relaxed chat of CB and as I don't have a HF rig I don't have much radio stuff to talk about and people like to talk about radio how many contacts they have had etc. 
If you can get a HF rig you do have a lot more choice and if you are interested in DX ham radio really does give you all the bands to enjoy. 
I'm getting the CRT 7900 today so it will also have 10m so I can give that a try too when conditions allow.

Enjoy the CB and ham bands
Brian

Victor and BigSi21 like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 115
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 4:56 pm

Nice one Brian.

I do have a HF set and yeah, quickly got bored with the typical 'conversation'. The most annoying is the 'no information' overs, that typical, "Blah, callsign, all fine business, well there you go, back to you", sort of thing Wink

CB is as you say is way more relaxed. The best conversation I had were some German lads on CEPT FM super stoked at getting a UK skip DX with me last summer. They all took it in turns to get an over and practice their English, (which was miles better than my German!) Thoroughly enjoyed it too! Smile

Best of luck with your 7900, (almost forgot it has 10m too), I hope it serves you well and you get some great contacts with it.

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Bean
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 5

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 5:07 pm

You need to listen out for the Eastern Counties Net , run by Richard FI420 from just South of Cambridge for a good few years this ran on a Wednesday night and I could pretty much make the trip from Somerset every week, they just had one on Sunday I believe and when the Covid restrictions are lifted and people start going out /p again I would expect it could become a regular thing again ( ?). It used to run on 27.365 I think but dont really follow the nets now .

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian Weston

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2021 9:41 pm

Thanks I will look up the Eastern Counties net. Yes also some /p stations would be good.

BigSi21 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave1949

Call Sign : 26CT1949
QTH or Location : Stamford
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTDX10 Yaesu 450D Whistler Txr1 2x Baofeng GT-3TP

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 6:15 pm

Hi Brian I am about in the afternoon most days on 555 or 26285.

Dave.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian Weston

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 10:35 pm

Thanks Dave, I won't be on till next week in the day as I need to do some work I can't do at home are you near P'boro? Do people use 26285 as well? I had a contact tonight on ch19 FM so the rig works ok.

BigSi21 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave1949

Call Sign : 26CT1949
QTH or Location : Stamford
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTDX10 Yaesu 450D Whistler Txr1 2x Baofeng GT-3TP

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 8:43 am

Hi Brian i live three miles north of Stamford .

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigSi21

Call Sign : 26-CT-3993
QTH or Location : Corby
Equipment Used : Tristar 777 and Scarlett Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2021 2:24 pm

Hi Brian, Im a new member in Corby, Northants and around town its dead, but I managed to get out of town yesterday to some high ground and was surprised to hear breakers on fm , am and ssb ! and some were over 30 miles away, made my day ;o/)
 I hope  to be out and about tomorrow with my new swr meter and finally get my first rig check in over 15 years lol .73 ;o/)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilomike

Call Sign : 26CT360
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Hertfordshire
Equipment Used : Icom/ Kenwood/ Yaesu

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 12:32 pm

Hello Brian,

i would get my self a HF radio again if you are licensed loads about 
on 20/40m as well as 11/10m when the band opens. I speak to a few 
people in your area on 40m when interG opens up which is most often during
the evening when i get in from work. Weekends seem to be active..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian Weston

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 6:51 pm

Thanks, my rig has 10m so will wait for the band's to open up see if get any contacts. BigSi21 height is always key. Good luck getting some contacts. I read there was a Sat net in Corby on 27635 but nothing heard it was dated 2018 though.

BigSi21 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?    Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Peterborough / Cambs area nets or local contacts ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: