Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Latest Buxton 2021 News fingers crossed this years bash may take place so watch this space
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» new member (Issued)
Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:03 am by Mick

» Call Sign request
Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:49 pm by Dazzasezzz

» New Member App (Issued)
Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:55 pm by Neil vigus

» Hi all 29CT063 (Sorted)
Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:41 pm by 29CT063

» call sign application (Issued)
Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:32 pm by GaryWilson

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:21 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Callsign request (Issued)
Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:35 pm by Paul145

» Marks out of 10 for your 20m band set up
Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:06 pm by Bean

» My frustration with working skip...
Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:08 pm by A5H5ATAN1C

Keywords
radio midland Baofeng 6900 Sirio president ALINCO power list sign display Mobile call callsign antenna division Mckinley SS6900 bazooka lincoln Calling ss9900 chart ss6900n frequency 9900
QRZ Database

Clarifiers.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Norfolk
Equipment Used : Uniden BCT 15X

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 6:06 pm

Am I remembering correctly? Back in the early 80's a clarifier was an RIT. Receive Independent of Receive.  That is, it only altered the receive frequency & not the transmit. At that time I remember a mysterious belief among many CB'ers that clarifiers were not as good, as what was called a  K shift. Which moved both transmit & receive up or down by a few Khz in unison. 5 Khz,  I seem to remember was the norm.

I never understood the logic of RIT being inferior to a shift of both TX & RX. As with a receive only movement, you "clarified" the other stations audio, but remained on the same transmit frequency. This stopped the ridiculous situation of both stations chasing each other up & down the band, as the transmit frequency changed on each over, as you both kept altering your shift to hear the other station & attempted to take into account any differences between the two stations. Which of course never solved the difference, it just created it on a new frequency. 

The reason I ask is, on another active thread,  it has been said that the  clarifier moves both RX & TX. So is it either now what used to be called a K shift or is it now  a RIT & XIT that can be adjusted independently of each other?  

I have searched this forum for clarifier, but got no results.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
morris
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
morris

Call Sign : CT11111
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : kent

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2021 6:54 pm

It could be the case of an old radio with a clarifier being modified to work on transmit also, quite a common mod back in the 80`s.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
43CT016
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 5:14 am

I'm not sure of the value of a clarifier moving TX and RX, as whether the remote station is off frequency is unlikely to be linked to whether you are, or by the same amount.

Seperate RIT & öTX controls make perfect sense, but not a clarifier that does both TX and RX at the same time!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 115
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 7:47 am

The only valid reason for the 'clarify' to be modified to shift both TX and RX was for the UK27/81 frequency offset.
(Hence why a common mod 'back in the day' ruining all those export rigs Wink)

Playing with the PLL, (Phase Locked Loop), logic for extra channels was easy, allowing for the frequency offset was not.
(Although any one worth their salt could've 'pulled' the VCO or reference oscillator.)

It wouldn't have been so bad if they'd made the clarify mod a switchable one.

'K' shift I presume from the fact it moves your rig TX/RX by a few KiloHertz. Probably came in handy for all those rigs that had been 'twiddled' with the result that they'd often be off frequency so you could at least match theirs.....
Also a nice new term to maybe boast, "Yes mate, got a K-shift it has, it's the dogs bol......."

Those on the 'Muppets' or UK27/81 frequencies, ( 'Muppets' for the 'M' part of 'FM'.....you can guess what the 'F' apparently stood for), could now boast about their multi-channel, multi-mode export rig. They'd find it difficult to go off and DX but it didn't matter as they spent 99% of their time chatting to their mates up the road on Muppets anyway.

Anyone that was into CB DXing and unfortunate enough to gain one of these 'modified' rigs usually went to the nearest 'rig-doctor' to have it ripped out. Probably by the same guy that 'modified' it in the first place. (Double Bubble!!)

Then there's the 'half channel' argument, that full 5kHz shift giving you the ability to transmit 'between' channels. What some called the 'private channels' despite the fact you could still hear them splattering over the usual 10kHz spaced channels often with good legibility! Wink

You could also now double your boast about how many 'channels' you had on your rig...."Yes mate, 120 channels, plus the 5 kaycees making 240 and don't forget the 'Alphas' as well...."

Anyway, enough of the not so 'rose-tinted' CB memories Very Happy

You get the gist...... it's all a bit pointless.

We still live with the nuclear fallout of that 1981 CB bomb.

morris and mauricehaworth like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 24
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A.

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 8:03 am

God Victor that brought back some memories.
Those mods used to keep me in beer money lol.
I used to do a 2 way 5 and 10kc with a 3 position switch that was very popular round here.
Those where the day's lol.

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 8:55 am

Thanks, all. I was basically an auto electrician for large commercial plant. But having the ham ticket too, I was often asked to fix CB's, but never did, other than for friends. My main interest being broadcast transmitters, which were mainly valve, unless you were into VHF band 2. 

I seem to remember fitting a small extra board into some SSB's radios for legal FM bands. Oh & a local electrician who was great on washing machines & hoovers etc, but who became a CB'er after it became legal & set himself up as the font of all wisdom on CB's. He had a large following of worshipers on the legal system, who thought he was wonderful. But in reality he was awful.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 10:08 am

Ha! Ha! Very Happy

Alan, glad it brought back some memories mate. Smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------

No worries Nick, was nice to step in the 'Tardis' for a bit Wink

I couldn't be bothered with it all after trying to help out some so called 'friends' and it biting me on the backside. If they brought a rig to you that was miles off frequency, over-deviating and more spurious emissions than your local MP you'd obviously adjust it back to how it should be.......then they'd complain they're quiet to their mates than they were before you 'buggered' about with their rig! Shocked
Didn't matter explaining FM deviation to them or the fact their mates are probably off-frequency too!

Yeah, there were 'legal' boards and other frequency expansion mods & kits available at the time. Some tosh EPROM programmed with all the channels nonsense or a piggy-back / replacement PLL. Anyone that could identify the hot end of a soldering iron usually fitted them for some price or other.

The self-proclaimed experts were a force unto themselves. Adjusting the PA output of a rig until their fandabadozy SWR/Power meter read higher was not really an indication of power output at 27MHz!!

Laughing hard at your last comment Nick, "But in reality he was awful" Very Happy Very Happy

Luckily most modern CB rigs require not much more than hooking up a USB cable and you can either 'brick-it' or completely screw up the channel order. A lot of the ferrites have gone, (so no cracking those cores with a screwdriver!), but people still ask what the 'pots' do Wink

Twiddle-twiddle.....

I'm laughing rather than ranting about it all, my not so rose-tinted spectacles coming to the fore.

Just as well we aren't talking about 'keying-over', 'local DJ's', 'Power Kings' or the ubiquitous conversations of delightful colour.....

"Yeah, effing idiot, effing well knackered my effing rig up and now it's effing well quieter than it ever effing was, effing, effing, effing, effing, effing bar steward!"

Ah, delightful memories. Wink

All the best lads,
Victor

Seasick likes this post

Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 10:57 am

Victor wrote:
 A lot of the ferrites have gone, (so no cracking those cores with a screwdriver!), but people still ask what the 'pots' do Wink

Twiddle-twiddle.....

All the best lads,
Victor

The domestic appliance repair guy never did work out why using  a metal screwdriver to adjust something that had windings around it was not a good idea. Or why after he had removed that metal  screwdriver from the middle of those windings  things changed Razz

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mitch
Mitch

Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Leicester
Equipment Used : FT-857D, FTM-100DE, Major 3000, 5/8 silver rod & Diamond V2000.

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 10:58 am

FYI RIT stands for Receiver Incrimental Tuning, basically a clarifier as mentioned before, it's just a Ham turm rather than a CB one. Unlocking it is a bad move imho, as long as the radio is set to the right frequency there's no need, else it changes for everyone in a group so you're all constantly adjusting it, not good. You have to tune different stations yes, but they don't have to keep retuning you.
Where there's a double clarifier (course+fine tune) then between channel is possible as SSB only uses half the channel anyway. What annoys me most is when the notch is removed from the course tune, you can never get the radio to TX on the correct frequency without a counter, I hate that. The only radio I know of that had an unlocked clarifier from the factory was the old Hygain 5, they were a pain to tune on SSB, bad design imo.

I used to be a rig doctor back in the day and fitted many a switch to PLL's to get extra channels, as well as legal boards for UK FM (transistor switched freq shift) and later mid block chips to UK FM rigs, ah happy days, and quite a good earner at the time too. I've never unlocked any clarifiers though, and wasn't asked to either, it's very counter productive for reasons mentioned. But hey, each to their own. I've still got a soft spot the the old radios though, it must be a nostalgia thing.

Sydthecat, NUBSTER, Victor and Seasick like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 11:25 am

Nick,

Still laughing mate! Very Happy
I think Maplins sold more 'jewellers' screwdriver sets than anything back in the day! Wink

----------------------------------------------------

Paul,

RIT - I thought it was 'Rashed Itchy Todger' Very Happy Wink

Ah, the old LC7137 / LC7132 or TC9119 / TC9106 PLL piggy back. Was nice when the kits added the VCO pull, (if they were setup right).

Yep, the clarifier unlock was a bit pointless and a bit of a bodge to be honest.

Like you, any radio from the 60's/70's/80's lights up my face especially when you see those easily serviceable parts residing inside. (Rosin flux and fibreglass board has a distinctive smell too!)

Definitely nostalgia Smile

----------------------------------------------------

I honestly thought I'd be putting the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons answering this posting.....instead, some great stories and memories plus a good laugh. Awesome. 👍

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lumpy
Lumpy

Call Sign : 26-CT-4002
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Glorious Devon
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS570D EF longwire

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 5:55 pm

I thought the 10 kc shift was primarily used for the "alpha" channels and i think my old 148gtldx used to shift rx and tx because if someone said "go up 5" you were stuffed without it.

26ct127 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mitch
Mitch

Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Leicester
Equipment Used : FT-857D, FTM-100DE, Major 3000, 5/8 silver rod & Diamond V2000.

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 6:32 pm

The 10kc 'alpha' shift was usually a PLL switch mod, just to get the channels that were skipped by the channel changer because of the FCC allocation of frequencies (radio control allocations between CB channels) but not all radios could be modded, it depends on the PLL chip, check the mid band charts and you'll see them (also duplicated on hi and lo bands). The 5kc shift was a 'slide' to vary the frequency of the crystals, normally 0 to 5 kc's so not a proper alpha channel but OK for SSB use.

NUBSTER, John123 and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 53
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2021 10:29 pm

Lumpy wrote:
I thought the 10 kc shift was primarily used for the "alpha" channels and i think my old 148gtldx used to shift rx and tx because if someone said "go up 5" you were stuffed without it.

That is right. My President Jackson has a 10kc shift button as standard.👍

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Clarifiers.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clarifiers.    Clarifiers.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clarifiers.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-