Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
yaesu Baofeng ALINCO president 9900 Sirio power callsign meter ss9900 antenna frequency software anytone list sign 2022 call display Mobile Mckinley 6900 supply 2023 chart lincoln
QRZ Database

Got me a Kenwood......

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Got me a Kenwood...... Empty
PostSubject: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2021 9:26 pm

Yeah, no new shiny toys here. Wink

Just beautiful old toys, (beauty is as they say very much in the eye of the beholder and I think she's a cracker!).

I received a gift from a very good old friend recently, with whom I haven't spoken to in years and thanks to my Ham licence, the 2m band and a bit of simplex playing we caught up with each other recently. Our QSO was nearly 30 miles apart with as little as 1 watt Simplex on my little Intek K980HP, (Baofeng UV5R copy), and a home-made wire dipole. The dipole was being held by me in the house.....Quite impressed with VHF!

Anyway, he turned up at my QTH with a box full of Radcom magazines and this little beauty placed on top.
(Socially distanced of course, essential supplies only Very Happy)

Got me a Kenwood...... Kenwd_11

An old Kenwood Trio TR-2500 HT. Lovely.

She's an old girl and the batteries were well past their prime, so I downloaded the service manual and got to work on her.

Turns out that apart from the internal lithium battery, (CR2032 memory backup), and the external cells in the battery pack she's in fine fettle. Bang on frequency and required no other adjustment whatsoever! Working perfectly on simplex frequencies with good audio out as well as receive and boy does she receive well. Much nicer than the modern Intek despite being a big girl in comparison Wink

Still need to replace the old 1750 tone with a modern CTCSS so that I can fire up the local repeater. I used to be able to 'whistle up' the old 1750 but I'll let a little NE567 handle the 77Hz I need. 

This old girl has survived almost 40 years of history and hopefully thanks to my fettling she'll last a few years more.
Turns out my old friend has come across the original speaker/mic for her as well, look forward to marrying them back up.

What's the point?
Well if you have to ask you'll never get it. I'll smile every time I use her and I'm pretty sure my friend will knowing that she gained a good home.

Go on then, a shot with her clothes off.....

Got me a Kenwood...... Kenwd_13

.....and required no 're-capping' whatsoever Very Happy

All the best,
Victor

Monza, Markone, Real Captain Caveman, 2TX240 and Seasick like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Norfolk
Equipment Used : Uniden BCT 15X

PostSubject: Re: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2021 10:35 pm

I remember spending an evening sitting on the flat roof of  a friends garage with one of those radios back in the very early 80's. At that time you could buy linears for handheld radios, that plugged between the radio & the antenna. 

At the time there were very few repeaters around & the Fenland repeater was a fair distance from us. We were close to Gainsborough, but from that roof, with a 5 watt linear, we could access the repeater.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2021 11:03 pm

Nice memory there Nick mate Smile

These handies always remind me of wandering round 80's Ham rallies picking up a bargain or two. You'd just about spot them under the bulge of bellies ready to break the belt clip Very Happy

Now I look just like one of those rotund Hams myself......ain't time a bitch!

Seasick and Jez.Fox like this post

Back to top Go down
Paddy
CT Directors
CT Directors
Paddy

Call Sign : 26CT2727
Times Thanked : 54
QTH or Location : Stockport
Equipment Used : Icom 7300. Icom 705, Yaesu FTM400XD and a Yaesu FT70.

PostSubject: Re: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 6:18 am

Love it Victor, getting a new radio is absolutely Essential, you’ll never convince me otherwise. I wish I knew what I was looking at with her clothes off (yes, I’ve said that before!!) 

The rotund gentleman comment, well. As we say round here “I spat me brew”

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 6:39 am

Ha! Ha! Very Happy

You're a star Paddy, gave me my smile to start the day off mate.

She'll do the job sat listening to GB3PI with a few memories to QSY simplex. Rather pleased with her 👍

Quite happy to be the rotund Ham nowadays mate, probably never 'got it' all before. However I won't feel offended if someone says, "Ooh, I like your walkie-talkie". Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 10:21 pm

Nice radio, Victor.👍😎

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 10:54 pm

Cheers John.

Well chuffed with her. Smile
Back to top Go down
scropenoggin

Call Sign : G7MBH/26-CT-3847
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Durham
Equipment Used : yaesu FT450D, Kenwood TS570D

PostSubject: Re: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 9:17 pm

Lovely looking radio-my first as an amateur was a TR2600-fond memories of working through GB3TW and GB3HG. Happy days!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 9:56 pm

Hi Mike,

I do love an older radio, especially if I can resurrect it. Smile

Yeah, the TR 2600 with it's tiny, almost impossible to read S-meter! Weren't they just great.

The best pleasure I've yet experienced with this old girl was my old Ham friend turning up with the speaker mic for it. I pulled out the now working radio, let him plug the mic in and fired up my other radio to let him hear it working. That soft-squelch opened up and the FM reception was crystal clear in the only way an analogue receiver can be. He had a smile from ear to ear explaining how it was his first 'proper' radio after first being licenced........and exclaimed how pleased he was that it had gone to a good home.

That probably made the radio worth more to me than the sum of it's component parts. Smile

Glad it bumped some memories for you Mike and thanks for posting, much appreciated.

All the best,
Victor

scropenoggin likes this post

Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

PostSubject: Re: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 10:19 pm

scropenoggin wrote:
Lovely looking radio-my first as an amateur was a TR2600-fond memories of working through GB3TW and GB3HG. Happy days!

Is that the mobile radio, that ran on 12 volts or  internal batteries & which had a telescopic antenna & a channel selector like a CB? If so I remember those, I had one, that ended up being put back in in box & sitting in my mothers loft until about 15 years ago.

Back to top Go down
scropenoggin

Call Sign : G7MBH/26-CT-3847
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Durham
Equipment Used : yaesu FT450D, Kenwood TS570D

PostSubject: Re: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 6:42 am

Seasick wrote:
scropenoggin wrote:

Is that the mobile radio, that ran on 12 volts or  internal batteries & which had a telescopic antenna & a channel selector like a CB? If so I remember those, I had one, that ended up being put back in in box & sitting in my mothers loft until about 15 years ago.
No, that was the TR2300. Mine was a handy, similar to the one in the picture. I only sold it to fund an FT290, which was my dream radio for years. But I have very happy memories of making good contacts as a proud class B on simplex as well as through repeaters. Imagine my surprise in my first sporadic e season when LA9CHA called me through GB3TW!

Seasick likes this post

Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

PostSubject: Re: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 10:26 am

Quote :
Imagine my surprise in my first sporadic e season when LA9CHA called me through GB3TW!

A little late for Loving Awareness & the engineers used NS (North Sea) via the repeaters. So that must have been Norway, so even better.  

I used to head up to Gateshead back in the late 70's. A friend lived not far from the town centre, near some flyovers. Five Bridges, are they, or where they called?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got me a Kenwood......   Got me a Kenwood...... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got me a Kenwood......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Media gallery :: Shack & rig gallery-
Jump to: