Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Winter 11m Challenge - from December 1st 2023 to 31st March 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Intro - with question
radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:24 am by Rumblefish

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 8:00 am by SangueG

» First homebase (Issued)
radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeToday at 4:24 am by Victor

» Tank whip for homebase
radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 pm by Hendo

» Foundation licence passed!
radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:49 am by Al21

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:20 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 am by SangueG

» Returning Member / Callsign Re-Issue (Returning Member)
radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 10:56 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 9:05 pm by Razz229

Keywords
sign chart Mckinley antenna ALINCO Mobile power display list ss9900 supply 2022 Sirio call yaesu 2023 frequency meter callsign anytone Baofeng president 6900 9900 software lincoln
QRZ Database

Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences

Go down 
+12
Arcticbear
SangueG
trik
MarcFX
G0RQQ
Captain Fantastic
chazwozza
Red Fox
Bean
Seasick
Victor
Alan Pilot
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2021 2:50 pm

New video to demonstrate the EMF calculator

RSGB Board Director and EMC Chair John Rogers, M0JAV has created a helpful video to demonstrate how to use the RSGB/Ofcom EMF calculator.

The calculator itself has also been updated on the RSGB website. https://rsgb.org/main/technical/emc/emf-exposure/

You can watch the video direct on the RSGB YouTube channel or via a link on the RSGB’s EMF web pages.
https://youtu.be/z9NYlQwbCZQ
Back to top Go down
rabbi
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : m3kbd/2e0kbd/m0kbd
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : stockton on tees
Equipment Used : kenwood ts 2000x ascom 70mhz icom vlf/hf/uhf receivers multiband antennas

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2021 10:00 am

hi i have had a passion for radio all my life from school days i am 61 health wise i am in a bit of a mess passed all 3 exams and allso my wife i helped her  to gain a foundation licence  i worked as a lab technician in education for 15 yrs a lot has changed ham radio is my life its just another problem that makes life difficult and another head ache  i admit i find life difficult thanks for looking stay safe do radio 73s paul m0kbd

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
MarcFX
MarcFX

Call Sign : 26CT2627, M7ARQ, 2E0GKF
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North Somerset
Equipment Used : GrantII (Standard), CRT SS9900, FT817ND, UV5R (x2), GD-77 (x2), TYT UV9000E, ANYTONE AT-D578UV, I-COM IC-705.

PostSubject: The calculator...   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2021 9:17 pm

radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Calcul10

This is 10m band at 50w. I see no real reason for concern. The T2LT is basicly a dipole. Mine has an integrated feeder. I didn't cut it at the choke, I played out 7-8m then cut and put a plug on. It has about eight inches foldover at the top, for tuning. Someone mentioned linear loading but can't pretend I understand that!
It works really well on 10 and 11.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2021 8:56 am

http://rsgb.org/main/files/2021/04/PAC-1-HW-Dipole-160to40m-v1.0.pdf

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 9:03 am

EMF: RSGB release Pre-assessed Configuration for half-wave dipole
The RSGB has released the first in a series of Pre-assessed Configurations (PAC) which, if required, amateurs may choose to use to assist with the new EMF regulation

PAC-1 covers half-wave dipoles on the bands from 1.8 to 7.0 MHz (160m to 40m).

Note: The document presents “work in progress” on a complex subject that is still under development; details are subject to change and PAC-1 and referenced material may be updated or replaced.

Direct link to PDF  
http://rsgb.org/main/files/2021/04/PAC-1-HW-Dipole-160to40m-v1.0.pdf

Draft versions of Pre-assessed configurations will be posted on the RSGB EMF page as they are prepared, check  
https://rsgb.org/emf
Back to top Go down
rabbi
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : m3kbd/2e0kbd/m0kbd
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : stockton on tees
Equipment Used : kenwood ts 2000x ascom 70mhz icom vlf/hf/uhf receivers multiband antennas

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 6:19 am

hi my hf vertical antenna and my quad band colinear are on the chimney stack 40 feet above ground hf 80-6 and colinear 6-4-2-70cms i use at most 100 watts i also have an inverted l also max hight 40 feet it works poorly on 80-40 but i use it mostly for receiving with an rx atu so i will try and work the calculator to get a correct  reading thanks for looking stay safe do radio 73s paul m0kbd
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 9:17 am

Update on new Ofcom EMF regulations
As part of the RSGB AGM held on April 24, John Rogers M0JAV provided an update on the new Ofcom EMF licence regulations, the video is now available on YouTube

His presentation, which is followed by a question and answer session, starts at 2:14:25 into the AGM video.  

Watch The Radio Society of Great Britain 2021 AGM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhOuDrRLWIE&t=8065s

You can download the latest version of the RSGB-Ofcom EMF Calculator from the RSGB EMF page at
Back to top Go down
G0RQQ
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26CT866
QTH or Location : Lincoln
Equipment Used : CRT2000 on CB, FT-920 on amateur bands; end-fed wire 20m long

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 8:22 am

The bit I still haven’t got my head around is the percentage time transmitting in 6 minutes. The RSGB calculator defaults to 40%, but what figure should actually be used? 40%? 60%? 30%? For someone who is marginally compliant under the “10 watt EIRP maximum” exemption, this could be significant. You could do the calculations at, say, 40% and be compliant only to have someone from Ofcom say: “ You should use 60%....oooh look, you’re non-compliant now!”

Regards,
Keith G0RQQ

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 349
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 8:55 am

I think the RSGB got it about right with a nominal 40%.

A typical SSB transmission is what, some 10% - 20% PEP? Maybe up to 50% with full processing.
An FT8 transmission is less than 50% and all things considered nearer 40% accounting for transmission 'overs'.
I don't yet know anyone making a constant 6 minute key down CW transmission. Wink

Most FM modes seem to occur at VHF/UHF where compliance seems easy and although 10m has FM I've yet to hear any transmissions on FM only ever having heard USB.

Yep, 40% is probably a bit of a high estimate in all reality so if you're compliant at that then I'd say you were good.  radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 1f44d 

My main concern is that until now all my HF antennas were zig-zag dipoles in the loft space nicely hidden from public scrutiny. But my neighbour has since converted their loft into a bedroom putting them within my field. I can't presume when they are in there so will probably have to move my antennas now....

....nicely strung across the property for all to see!

That will cause me more 'stink' with my village neighbours than any EMF calculation would.  Rolling Eyes

All the best,
Victor

Rjbingham likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
G0RQQ
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 9:31 am

There is some activity on 10 FM, although of course suitable propagation is needed. I use the HB9HD repeater in Switzerland on 29.55/29.65 as an indicator of any “lift.” Probably the most bizarre contact I’ve had through it is Lincoln to Bognor Regis...!

Anyway, that’s getting away from the thread of the posts.

Regards,
Keith
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2021 9:58 am

Ofcom issue new amateur radio licence Terms and Conditions
On Tuesday, May 18, Ofcom confirmed the new EMF licence condition for Radio Amateurs and most other licenced radio users

Licensees need to comply with new rules by:
• 18 Nov 2021 for frequencies at or above 110 MHz
• 18 May 2022 for frequencies above 10 MHz but below 110 MHz
• 18 Nov 2022 for frequenciess at or below 10 MHz
See https://ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/emf

The updated Amateur Radio licence Terms & Conditions with the EMF regulation can be downloaded from  
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/214116/emf-amateur-licence-terms-and-conditions.pdf

A simplified version of the full guidance and specific advice for holders of Amateur, Ship Radio and Aeronautical licences will be made available by June 8, 2021 at  
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/emf/compliance-and-enforcement-guidance

With the RSGB-Ofcom Calculator it appears Foundation holders with HF stations using antennas such as a half-wave dipole, a longwire or a vertical should find the Average EIRP of their station for the FT8/SSB/FM modes is below 10 watts EIRP so they will not need to bother with a Compliance Distance. 

Similarly Foundation holders using 10 watts of 145 MHz FM to an omni-directional antenna with a gain of up to 4.5 dBi should also find their Average EIRP is below 10 watts, so again no need for a Compliance Distance.

With the RSGB-Ofcom calculator you just need to enter the Band, Mode, the Transceiver output power you use (e.g. 10 watts for Foundation), Coax type and length, and select an Antenna type, everything will then be calculated for you.  Take a screen snapshot of the results to keep as your EMF Assessment record.

A direct link to the RSGB-Ofcom calculator as of May 18, 2021, is at
https://rsgb.services/public/publications/emc/emf-calculator-v0.1.2-rsgb9e.xlsx

Check the RSGB EMF page for any new versions of the calculator as well as lots of other EMF information  
Back to top Go down
ILikeRadioSoDoYou

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : .
Equipment Used : .

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2021 12:05 pm

What I would like to know is if you print out your exclusion zone and keep it next to your radio does this all just disappear so you never have to think about it ever again ? Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 6:33 pm

Ofcom updates EMF guidance document and calculator

The guidance document What you need to know as an amateur radio user has been updated, as has the Ofcom EMF calculator.
The guide provides an overview of what you need to do to comply with Ofcom’s EMF licence condition
Links to all of the documents and calculators can be found on our website
This updated guide is much simplified from the earlier version and now comprises just four steps.
Step 1 – Do I need to comply?
Step 2 – Carrying out a compliance check
Step 3 – Managing compliance
Step 4 – Keeping an appropriate compliance record
Carrying out a compliance check to find exclusion zones now refers to just three methods: using an Ofcom table to look up distances, using the Ofcom or RSGB calculator, or using a pre-assessed configuration to give less conservative exclusion zones.
If you need to use more advanced techniques like detailed modelling or measurements you are referred to Ofcom’s “Guidance on EMF Compliance and Enforcement “ previously published for all spectrum users.
Ofcom has also published (for all spectrum users) an updated calculator v 1.0. which allows for use of ERP or EIRP and provides a power calculation tool.
The RSGB calculator v10, tailored specifically for amateur use, will be released soon which includes mode dependent power reductions, updated feeder losses and antenna gain tables and the updated low power compliance condition.
Remember the key dates for compliance are:

• 18 November 2021 for frequencies you are using at or above 110 MHz

• 18 May 2022 for frequencies you are using above 10 MHz but below 110 MHz

• 18 November 2022 for frequencies you are using at or below 10 MHz

Back to top Go down
G0RQQ
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2021 2:52 pm

There’s a new version of the ICNIRP calculator - v10 - available on the RSGB web-site.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2021 2:33 pm

EMF Licence Regulation - RSGB Webinar
At 8pm (1900 GMT) on Monday, July 5, EMC Committee Chair John Rogers M0JAV will explain how to assess your station against ICNIRP EMF levels. It will be streamed live on YouTube

The webinar is part of the RSGB Tonight @ 8 series, the description reads:

Ofcom is implementing changes to all transmitting licences to require licensees to comply with ICNIRP general public limits on EMF exposure. This will include previously licence exempt users who transmit at powers of more than 10W EIRP. John will introduce the work of the RSGB and ARRL experts in assessment of exposure to EM fields.

RSGB responded to the Ofcom consultation (on behalf of UK amateurs) and we are now preparing guidance on compliance with the new requirements. The talk will outline these requirements and introduce four ways to conduct and record the results of the assessment include calculating required separation, use of known compliant station configurations and potential mitigating actions.

RSGB Webinars https://rsgb.org/webinars

RSGB YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheRSGB/videos
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2021 11:10 pm

November deadline for EMF compliance checking
The new Ofcom EMF regulations require compliance checking for all stations operating at above 110MHz from 18 November.
The RSGB EMF web page contains links to the requirements as well as tools and advice to help radio amateurs to comply.
Two new additions have been added to this web page:
A new Pre-Assessed Equipment Configuration (PAEC-2) which derives the exclusion zones needed for VHF and up beam antennas
A new version of the calculator v11a which incorporates specific advice for VHF beams to help you show compliance. If you have already completed your checks using v10a of the calculator they remain valid, however the new version has additional guidance and may make compliance easier to demonstrate.
Watch out for a feature in the November RadCom on this topic
Also under preparation is PAEC-3 covering microwave antennas which will appear soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2021 9:43 am

Deadline for completion of EMF assessment approaches
To comply with Ofcom's new EMF regulation UK radio amateurs need to complete an EMF Assessment by November 18 for transmitting equipment operating on frequencies above 110 MHz

To assist with this process the RSGB has made available a new Pre-assessed Configurations document covering VHF/UHF beam antennas, titled "PAEC-2: Rotatable Beam Antennas for 50 MHz to 1.3 GHz".

That document along with a new version of the RSGB's EMF Calculator (v11a) and other helpful information is available on the RSGB EMF page at
Back to top Go down
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2021 2:12 pm

If you use LibreOffice  you may find the results for 6m and above for paec-2 incorrect , after entering all your station details click on the Data tab along the top tool bar of LibreOffice, from the drop down menu click on calculate , from the sub-menue click recalculate hard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences   radio - Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ofcom to add EMF clause to ham radio licences
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3