Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
ss9900 anytone 9900 software president display ALINCO power antenna supply callsign 2023 yaesu chart Mobile frequency list call 2022 Mckinley lincoln sign Baofeng meter 6900 Sirio
QRZ Database

Stupid TV antenna / dish installations

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Empty
PostSubject: Stupid TV antenna / dish installations   Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 9:28 pm

This is something I've noticed a lot in recent years and there seems to be a lot of them on the new build estate where I live.  I notice a lot of sky dishes which are installed awkwardly pointing straight "through" the apex of the roof, instead of simply being put on the other side of the house with a clear line of sight to the satellite.   Presumably these installations work otherwise they would have been changed by now.   But with the high frequency of satellite TV being so directional, I'd be surprised if there are never any issues when the roofs are wet.   If I lived in a house and ordered Sky, I would never accept such a dish installation.   

I live in a flat and we have a communal dish and terrestrial antenna.  The dish is on the South side of the building and points through a narrow gap in roofs and always has a decent enough signal.   The terrestrial antenna however, is also on the south side of the building and points North to the transmitter at Beckley near Oxford.... Alas, not up above the roof apex, but straight through the roof.   Why go to the trouble of putting up an outdoor antenna if you are going to set it up like that?   A loft antenna ought to work better in my view as there is only one half of the roof for the signal to get through.    I have Sky TV but I also have Freeview connected to a TV in the bedroom which I very rarely watch.   I've never noticed if the signal stutters in heavy rain.

I don't understand the reason for what I think are p*ss poor installations.   Why would you place any directional antenna with obstacles in it's way when it could have a perfectly clear line of sight from another position on the building?  Laziness?  Incompetence?   Have you had to have any debates with a Sky installer about dish position?  Obviously it doesn't ruin my life how other people's antennas / dishes are positioned but it's something which perplexes me!

rabbi, Alan - Mirror Man and DC1956 like this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Stupid TV antenna / dish installations   Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 10:00 pm

Are you taking into account that the dish isn't flat and it's bowl shape can take signals from a wide range of angles and focus them on the point where the LNB is? Satellite TV isn't just provided from one satellite, it's provided from a constellation of them.

If dishes were like a yagi and had a narrow beam pattern then it would be a problem but they don't. And during installation the installer has to check the signal strength which they can do on the set top box.

rabbi and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Stupid TV antenna / dish installations   Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2021 10:05 pm

Northern Crusader wrote:
Are you taking into account that the dish isn't flat and it's bowl shape can take signals from a wide range of angles and focus them on the point where the LNB is? Satellite TV isn't just provided from one satellite, it's provided from a constellation of them.

If dishes were like a yagi and had a narrow beam pattern then it would be a problem but they don't. And during installation the installer has to check the signal strength which they can do on the set top box.

I realise there are many different Astra satellites up there .   Are you suggesting that the signal to one dish can come from multiple?   It would be interesting to find out what the the reception shape is of an average sky dish is.   I realise there are different dishes for different regions.   I think dishes further North tend to be bigger?

I am very happy to learn more about how dishes work and I'm sure there are plenty of folk like yourself who can help me.   But if you are pointing towards the apex of a roof, surely you are only using part of the dish to collect the signal?

rabbi and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Bean
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 6

PostSubject: Re: Stupid TV antenna / dish installations   Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 8:30 am

Two main types of Satellite dishes , prime focus - mainly for larger dishes (2m+)that point directly at the satellite and the off set ones that are common for sly in the UK - the dish looks like it is pointing lower than what it is actually receiving the signals from . The channels that make up the sly package come from several satellites some of which are just there as spare capacity and these satellites constantly move in a certain grid area but always with their beam direction covering the UK.

rabbi, Alan - Mirror Man and 26uk81 like this post

Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: Stupid TV antenna / dish installations   Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2021 11:16 am

As Bean mentions above, the satellite dish used for sky installations are off set.

In short, the dish looks as though it is pointing at the roof but in fact receives a signal at an inclination of approx. 21-27 degrees, the parabolic reflector guides the signal from the various satellites used by sky to the LNB which is normally off set slightly dependant on where in the country you live.

With regard to the larger dish point, it is not normally needed now due to the footprint / focussing of the beam directed at the UK / EU, these are now much tighter than many years ago. 

Many installers are now forced to install equipment out of sight, i.e on the rear of property due to planning regulations.

The link below will explain a little more with regard to signal footprint.

https://satfi.co.uk/coverage/

Hope this helps a little.

rabbi, glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man, 26uk81 and Seasick like this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Stupid TV antenna / dish installations   Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2021 11:34 pm

Thanks for the info everyone.   Perhaps some of these dish installations are not so stupid then!   Although I will maintain that I think the terrestrial antenna on the block of flats pointing straight through the roof is daft.

G6CTX and rabbi like this post

Back to top Go down
G6CTX

Call Sign : 26-CT-4040
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Hampshire
Equipment Used : Lots

PostSubject: Re: Stupid TV antenna / dish installations   Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2021 1:58 pm

Hi, all of above comments are just about correct, been in the space business manufacture in the UK for forty years.... (must retire some day...)  the Yagi, mine is in the actual roof space, 14 miles from the TX, a bit of tweaking and some RAM behind the reflector to help stop reflections works fine although with digital TX old type ghosting is not a real problem anymore...    and terrestrial signals are totally massive in comparison to a SAT downlink... this helps...ha-ha.  My neighbour has his on the roof but the wrong polarisation and at least 5 degrees off.... good signal though..  a lot is down to the type of antenna, just because it painted gold doesn't help... :-)   Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stupid TV antenna / dish installations   Stupid TV antenna / dish installations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stupid TV antenna / dish installations
Page 1 of 1