Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Silver Rod
Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by Wireless

» DC HI warning on SS 6900N
Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeToday at 1:35 pm by Chickenfoot@1987

» Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?
Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 pm by Alan Pilot

» Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?
Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeToday at 1:22 pm by Alan Pilot

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeToday at 12:30 pm by morris

» Stolen radio
Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeToday at 12:22 pm by Lima alpha 1

» HF Contacts 15m
Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeToday at 10:40 am by SangueG

» Arwen whats she done.
Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeToday at 9:57 am by Markone

» 17metre contacts
Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeToday at 9:01 am by Ivy Mike

Keywords
ALINCO list Sirio coax midland radio lincoln 9900 bazooka Mobile call callsign power Calling ss9900 sign display antenna yaesu supply president frequency Mckinley chart SS6900 6900
QRZ Database

Friendship on the Air Award

Go down 
+4
ILikeRadioSoDoYou
NUBSTER
Bean
Victor
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Friendship on the Air Award Empty
PostSubject: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2021 10:48 pm

The RSGB is delighted to launch a new Award that is designed to celebrate the friendship of amateur radio over the airwaves.
Radio amateurs are encouraged to exchange the four-letter identifier of their club and accumulate points for each qualifying QSO. Through this you can gain the award.
However, the main purpose of the award is to contact other people in a friendly and non-competitive way, connecting with them rather than simply making a quick QSO and moving on. If you’re not a club member but are a member of the RSGB, you can use the RSGB identifier “RSGB”.
There will be monthly and annual awards for individuals, clubs and the highest-scoring club in each region. The points system is simply an encouragement to get on the air, represent your club and have a chat with radio amateurs across the airwaves.
The award is part of the RSGB-NHS ‘Get on the air to care’ campaign which was created at the start of the pandemic. Its aim has been to support radio amateurs living in social isolation, promote mental wellbeing and raise the profile of amateur radio in the mainstream media to help people looking for something to do during lockdown.
We hope that the Friendship on the Air award will continue to support the radio amateur community as restrictions lift over the coming months.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 169
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 7:08 am

Can we not contact other people in a friendly, non-competitive way as part of our normal radio amateur activities?

Does it really require RSGB or club membership for us to do that?

I'm not shooting the messenger Mark, I saw the same article on the RSGB website myself.

It's just that it seems a bit of an oxymoron to use the word 'non-competitive' but you then collect 'points' for an award?!?
The word 'friendly' is used but you have to be a 'member' of a club or the RSGB to be included. Not very 'inclusive' but rather 'exclusive' wouldn't you agree?

I'm just being the devil's advocate here more than anything and all for promoting friendly radio contacts. 

Luckily apart from the weekend "CQ competition" noise, friendly contact does seem to happen on the whole......with exceptions Wink

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot and Tim Tom like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Bean
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 6

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 8:46 am

I had the same thoughts as Victor when I first saw this on the RSGB f/book page yesterday ( well, shorter and more direct thoughts anyway ) This just smacks of another vehicle for the big club brand and lets remember other than issueing short contest calls and currently running the exam process thats all the RSGB is, a big club . The person that runs the frequency dictates how the qso goes so if people are wanting friendly chats get on air, call cq and engage in conversation there shouldn't be a need for an award for doing so !

Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 9:08 am

Ha! Ha! Very Happy

Got to admit, my initial thoughts did surround 'WTF?' Wink

Agree with your sentiments exactly, simply get on air and just have a nice chat with someone.
Feeling good after a great conversation is the best feeling in the world and beats 'points' hands down.

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
ILikeRadioSoDoYou

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : .
Equipment Used : .

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 10:00 am

intermediate here and finding my feet more study that being on air type so far (lockdown innit).. so finding my feet... bit different all round but fun still..i find hams very short, i do get that people may not want to speak to a close station that you can talk with every single day of the week. now I avoid Euro's myself now on 20 (though politely respond/QSO if they appear of course but I am not calling for them now - 50W you have a better chance of dx) it is a done deal to speak 1000 mile. 

I find the stations you are not so bothered about are five nine 73 bye stations and the ones you fancy chat with are in the deepest longest QSO with a pal on the other side of the worlds and you cannot get a word in.. or feel like butting in on a private chat... cannot win.

even cb dx is a bit longer than ham say 2-5mins and if you are rubbing along nicely have a long one till it drops out... even on the sporadic.

when you go ham you have to find out what you want from radio again, almost...and what others want and then try and slot into that... the exams are really just a starting point... there is a tonne of stuff you have to work out on top of that.. it is quite deep and complicated.. cannot reinvent the wheel but you can be a spoke in it in the way you want to.. it takes time though to get your head around it.. it can be easy to jump to conclusions.

I think RSGB do a good job myself... they do whatever they can and trying to keep everyone happy. Ham won't be for everyone I was not sure it was for me if honest.... you can also be wrong about yourself and your opinions ... i mean where did they come from... your opinions, from others.. spend enough time with other opinions and they change pretty fast.. if someone explains stuff from a different angle.

be open and flexible and see what works for you and what does not.

cb or ham one common thing should be being friendly.. nothing good comes long term from not being so, just radio misery, disappointment and feeling bad really..

NUBSTER, Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 38
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 11:13 am

I also read it on the RSGB page yesterday and thought WTF.
Not long after i heard a station not far from me call a station in Europe.
Exchanged names exchanged this CLUB number thing then 5/9 and 73s.
Sounds like a comp to me for club members only stuff that i said to myself.

Last edited by Alan Pilot on Sat May 15, 2021 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

NUBSTER and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 15
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 12:30 pm

Looks like "Everyone gets a trophy" has come to Ham Radio! 

It's not really hard to either be friendly, or just not answer or call CQ, is it? 

Same goes with contests or DX...if I'm in a contest, I'll call "CQ Contest" and it should be pretty bloody obvious I don't want a rag chew, and if I don't want to chat locally, I'll call "CQ DX".

Earlier today a station on the other side of the country was calling CQ DX...so I ignored him.  He then called CQ Any Station, so I answered.  That was a 3500km QSO, but not DX in the context he meant it (i.e. Usually taken to be non-VK).

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
53 Prefect
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
53 Prefect

Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Coldwater, Ontario
Equipment Used : ICOM at the moment

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 12:47 pm

QRZ.com have had similar for years. I guess the RSGB thought it a good idea. The cost of the award puts a few bob in the kitty I guess. You don't have to do anything with QRZ, they just pop up when you have reached required goal.Friendship on the Air Award Screen12

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

Call Sign : 26-CT-3433
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Hull
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 88s + crt 9900+5/8 gain master

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 1:01 pm

hi all, I think in the main hams are a friendly bunch, only two negatives in the last 7 months, both British ex pats.first 1 told me he couldn't give an audio report because only 5/9, WTF and tells every QSO to move to Bulgaria to put up a beam.
2nd in Spain was in a QSO saying all M? are rude and the RSGB made the foundation test to easy and the bands are now full of idiots.
On the other hand. all others come across as good people enjoying this great hobby, even the 1.5kw stations make time for QRP.
on both licence tests I got the impression amateur radio was dying pre covid,and the upsurge in hams was greatly needed. Like any cross section of society there are good and bad, talk to the good avoid the bad.
to sum it all up 99% positive
stay safe
mark

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
53 Prefect
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
53 Prefect

Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Coldwater, Ontario
Equipment Used : ICOM at the moment

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 1:05 pm

You have to move to Bulgaria to put up a beam? Damn, did not know that! LOL!

Markone likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 3:59 pm

Victor wrote:
Can we not contact other people in a friendly, non-competitive way as part of our normal radio amateur activities?

Does it really require RSGB or club membership for us to do that?

I'm not shooting the messenger Mark, I saw the same article on the RSGB website myself.

It's just that it seems a bit of an oxymoron to use the word 'non-competitive' but you then collect 'points' for an award?!?
The word 'friendly' is used but you have to be a 'member' of a club or the RSGB to be included. Not very 'inclusive' but rather 'exclusive' wouldn't you agree?

I'm just being the devil's advocate here more than anything and all for promoting friendly radio contacts. 

Luckily apart from the weekend "CQ competition" noise, friendly contact does seem to happen on the whole......with exceptions Wink

All the best,
Victor

Well Victor.
I think it is a load of Bollox!! from the RSCB.
Please Admin don't ban me for saying that.
73,Mark.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 5:10 pm

Hee! Very Happy

It was a good posting Mark and got people talking, after all that's what it's all about.

I suppose the RSGB were trying to do their best, bless their little cotton socks!
(They really need to be more in touch with 'non-members' though Wink)

If anything I'm chuffed to bits with everyone's response here and commend each and every one of you.

Regardless of background, frequency use, identifying labels or other such we are all passionate about radio and use it to reach out to fellow human beings in the best way possible.......With a hello, a chat, maybe getting to talk to someone new or an old friend and always ending with the best wishes.

So my best 73's to you all.

(Now, where do I go to collect my points for that? Very Happy)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2021 10:51 pm

Victor wrote:
Hee! Very Happy

It was a good posting Mark and got people talking, after all that's what it's all about.

I suppose the RSGB were trying to do their best, bless their little cotton socks!
(They really need to be more in touch with 'non-members' though Wink)

If anything I'm chuffed to bits with everyone's response here and commend each and every one of you.

Regardless of background, frequency use, identifying labels or other such we are all passionate about radio and use it to reach out to fellow human beings in the best way possible.......With a hello, a chat, maybe getting to talk to someone new or an old friend and always ending with the best wishes.

So my best 73's to you all.

(Now, where do I go to collect my points for that? Very Happy)

Well i don't need a award to encourage me to waffle Victor:D Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2021 11:54 pm

The RSGB launched the Friendship on the Air Award last month as a new way of getting on the air, representing your club and having a proper chat with radio amateurs on the airwaves. There are monthly and annual awards for individuals, clubs and the highest-scoring club in each region. If you’ve taken part already, don’t forget to upload your logs. If you’d like to get involved for the first time this month, then visit rsgb.org/friendship-award.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Friendship on the Air Award   Friendship on the Air Award Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Friendship on the Air Award
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: The Amateur Lounge :: Amateur Discussions-
Jump to: