Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» what radio do you wish you never sold
sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 10:04 pm by tspirawk@gmail.com

» First dx in 40 plus years
sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 10:01 pm by Nightprowler

» Antenna Required.
sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

Keywords
Mckinley power software call sign Mobile callsign ss9900 lincoln chart supply meter 2023 president Baofeng antenna 9900 yaesu 6900 anytone 2022 frequency list Sirio display ALINCO
QRZ Database

Call sign request (Issued)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

sign - Call sign request (Issued) Empty
PostSubject: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 5:35 pm

Hi. After a break of 35 years I decided to fire up the CB.
Only it wouldn't work (surprisingly).

So, I got a new fangled set, wired it all up, and switched to channel 19 to find NOTHING!
Putting out a few calls got - Nothing.

Scanning for someone, I heard a voice, waiting till they were wrapping up, qsk'd them, and - nothing.

This went on for about a week.
Then someone else called out.
So, I answered.

You know the expression "just passing through", the chat lasted for 30 seconds.

Still, here I am, still scanning!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Callsign Request Please   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 5:43 pm

Many many years ago I had a call sign (OS34UKM) (UKM - UK Mil), and a CB handle OddSocks.

That lovely handle given to me by the wife as I was forever wearing - odd socks.

So could I please have a more 'respectable' call sign.

Thanks PaulGray
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 5:53 pm

Hello Paul, welcome to the forum and back to the hobby.

Activity can vary a lot from area to area. Stations are spread much further apart these days so a decent antenna system is a must. At least a half wave vertical mounted as high as possible will be needed for good results. If you need any advice just ask in the appropriate section of the forum. 

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 7:32 pm

Hello and welcome, Paul.

73s John.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 7:38 pm

Hi Gary.
I've gathered as much BUT it's not going to deter me as I used to have great fun skipping all over using my recently buried Cobra.

As for the aerial? It is a 1/2 wave pole 14 feet up in the air.
And this is Lincolnshire so flat as a pancake and little between me and Europe.
Happy days eh?

Thanks for the reply.
Paul
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 7:38 pm

Thanks John

73's Paul
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 7:41 pm

Hi Paul,

Welcome to Charlie Tango.

You shouldn't have to wait too long for a call sign as they are issued most days.

'Odd Socks', love it. Wink

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 8:09 pm

Hi Paul,

I had the same sort of shock as you after returning to CB after a similarly long break. Spent months listening to white noise nothingness. When I did make contact it wasn't the friendliest of moments unfortunately.

That all changed after getting back into some CB 'skip' last summer with some great QSO's to Europe! Smile

Hungry for more I decided to take my 'ticket' last year and became a Ham giving me access to loads of bands, frequencies and modes. Now there is always somewhere to go to find some radio action.

We're coming up on the summer 'skip' season, so with your new 6900 and as Gary suggests a decent antenna, (or maybe even a mobile setup), you should get to enjoy some DX contacts. Look out for 'nets' announcements here or on the Charlie Tango Facebook page to see if there are any your way. Also try scanning the CEPT or old mid-block frequencies as often they can be livelier than the UK band in places and don't forget your SSB modes too. (There's still 'freeband' activity out there. Wink)

Either way, just have fun.  sign - Call sign request (Issued) 1f44d 

As Gary also suggests there are a lot of helpful members here on Charlie Tango so fire off any questions you may have on the forum areas, (or even Facebook - Our Paddy does a wonderful join over there as Admin Smile)

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 9:25 pm

Thank you for your comments Victor.
Yes, I will have fun.
Happy you've got your ticket, but that's not for me.

Once a rebel, always a rebel.
Only wayyyy older and no sign of hair let alone grey ones.
Happy days.
Paul
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 9:57 pm

Ha! Very Happy
No worries Paul. I never thought I'd be a Ham myself successfully avoiding it for decades, but as much as I love CB, I actually love radio more! (There seems to be more old CBers on the Ham bands anyway Wink)

You'll still find me scooting around the triple 5 looking for DX as often as the other bands and I'm looking forward to some summer skip fun again this year. Pirate or not, it was always about simply enjoying yourself with radio.

From one old bald git to another, I wish you the best mate.

73's
Victor
Back to top Go down
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 7:46 am

Hi Paul, welcome to the CTDX group 
73s
Steve.
Back to top Go down
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 7:48 am

Hi Paul, welcome to the CTDX group 
73s
Steve.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi Paul, 

Sounds like the antenna should be fine. Hopefully the 'E' season will get going in the next few weeks.

I am delighted to allocate you 26-CT-4080 may you have good luck with it.

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 7:58 pm

Thank you for all the greetings folks, it's kinda like coming home!
And, as the icing on the cake (my favorite bit on any cake), I have a call sign.

Which, when telling SWMBO, she looked at me over her glasses and said, "Dear, you'll always be my own little Oddsocks!

Which I thought was rather sweet until she started chuckling.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   sign - Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Call sign request (Issued)
Page 1 of 1