Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Latest Buxton 2021 News fingers crossed this years bash may take place so watch this space
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Keywords
SS6900 lincoln president call division frequency 9900 chart display ALINCO sign tango bazooka Mobile Calling antenna 6900 ss9900 Mckinley midland Sirio power callsign ss6900n radio list
QRZ Database

Newbie Experience

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alamo

Call Sign : 26-CT-4082
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Stockton On Tees
Equipment Used : Thunderpole T3000

Newbie Experience Empty
PostSubject: Newbie Experience   Newbie Experience Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2021 9:26 pm

Hi Folks,
 Just looking for a little feedback. It will be obvious from this post I know nothing about Radio. However I recently bought myself a Thunderpole CB  and a little springy antenna that sits on my car roof. Tonight whilst out tuning the antenna and whilst driving around the North of England.  A conversation started between two gentlemen. When there chat finished I spoke to a very pleasant guy with a strong South American accent. He introduced himself and was very polite and said he was calling from Bolivia. Can I take it this was a wind up. Surely its not possible on a cheap Cb with car mag antenna... ?  I can see people laughing and falling off their chairs as I type. Is this by any stretch of imagination possible... Any feed back much appreciated... Best Wishes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Razz229
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Edenbridge, Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m CRE 8900, K-PO NM-532 Power Mic, Turner JM+2\U Power Mic, Moonraker 1/2 wave GPA antenna, Sirio 4000. On PMR a TYT TH-9000D, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

Newbie Experience Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience   Newbie Experience Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2021 12:48 am

Hi Alan

I was on USB between 18:00 & 20:00 on Monday night (03-05-21), and heard France (14 division), Italy (1 division), England (26 division), Corsica (104 division) and Spain (30 division).

I also had a 20 minute conversation (QSO) with Miguel 30 CI 101 who was 2km north of Gibraltar all done using a Anytone 5555 and a Sirio 4000 mag mount on my van.

So who knows.
Bolivia could have been your 1st DX contact Newbie Experience 1f600  or your 1st wind up Sad

Ray
26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290

Alamo likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 21
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

Newbie Experience Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience   Newbie Experience Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2021 5:48 am

Alamo wrote:
Hi Folks,
 Just looking for a little feedback. It will be obvious from this post I know nothing about Radio. However I recently bought myself a Thunderpole CB  and a little springy antenna that sits on my car roof. Tonight whilst out tuning the antenna and whilst driving around the North of England.  A conversation started between two gentlemen. When there chat finished I spoke to a very pleasant guy with a strong South American accent. He introduced himself and was very polite and said he was calling from Bolivia. Can I take it this was a wind up. Surely its not possible on a cheap Cb with car mag antenna... ?  I can see people laughing and falling off their chairs as I type. Is this by any stretch of imagination possible... Any feed back much appreciated... Best Wishes

Yes Alan, its perfectly possible to contact S.America when conditions are good. I've heard very strong stations from Brazil and Venezuela in the past, usually in Winter and some of them are louder (better signal strength) than locals who are only 1 mile from me.

Alamo likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alamo

Newbie Experience Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience   Newbie Experience Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2021 7:25 am

Thank you for replying Gents.. This is very exciting if it was genuine.  I have a 1/2 wave silver rod arriving this week. So I will how that goes....  Thanks folks... Newbie Experience 1f44d
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SangueG
Contributor
Contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : CRT SS 6900N, home-made antennas, DX-300 for SWL

Newbie Experience Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience   Newbie Experience Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2021 7:50 am

Paraphrasing Phil and Kirstie, it's all about "conditions, conditions, conditions"... except it's not, but that is a major factor. It's fun on the radio like that on simple setups back in the day that got me into multimode radios and playing with homemade antennas. Have fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Markone
Contributor
Contributor
Markone

Call Sign : 26-CT-3433
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Hull
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 88s + crt 9900+5/8 gain master

Newbie Experience Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience   Newbie Experience Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2021 10:53 am

hi Alan, some times it just falls into your lap, I have had this a few times.
once while waiting for the potatoes to boil i got a qso with Indonesia ,once talking to a mate 10 miles away and Brazil came in qsk, on 11m .the last just switched the radio on while running a bath and got a qso with cape town SA on 20m,some stations get these contacts all the time, but not me. keep a pen and paper handy,write down call sign and check on web sites like LF11 if a genuine call sign. I usually do a little dad dance ,bore the wife and enjoy the moment.
take care 
mark 26ct3433
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stephen Gunrunner
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX26DD666.
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : sirio 4000 on tri mag base is the magnum257hp, mobile magnum257, and crt space-pmr

Newbie Experience Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience   Newbie Experience Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2021 12:35 pm

had this many times and if you are in the right spot and its radio and antenna you will pick them up big and small antenna big radio or small radio when i first started i had a half breed antenna and a maxcom 20e and up high a 7ft fire stick and a cobra 148 and ssb and am up in the hills all day and after 23.00pm and it was alive ssb and Am
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alamo

Newbie Experience Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience   Newbie Experience Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2021 6:06 pm

Thanks guys for the support. I was very excited when recalling the incident to my wife but I could see the that face when someone fakes interest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Newbie Experience Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience   Newbie Experience Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie Experience
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: