Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Advice.....?
Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeToday at 5:12 am by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 pm by John123

» 10m dxcc ......
Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 am by peewee norfolk

» Multimode mobile antenna
Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
2023 supply power 9900 antenna Mckinley call anytone Mobile lincoln callsign frequency president Baofeng list sign ALINCO Sirio 6900 ss9900 software meter 2022 chart yaesu display
QRZ Database

Squelch/Autosquelch question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Pappy Nick

Call Sign : 26-CT-3414 26-SW-1919 M7NBX
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Bristol, UK
Equipment Used : Xiegu X5105, Retevis RT-95, Anytone AT-D878UV, ALINCO DX-10, CRT SS6900 N, CRT One N, Baofeng UV-5R, Alinco DJ-X3

Squelch/Autosquelch question Empty
PostSubject: Squelch/Autosquelch question   Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi ...

My shiny, new rig comes with "autosquelch" as well as normal squelch and I can't seem to find out what the difference is as they both appear to do the same thing (?).

Do they work together in some way, or are they used independently ? Or am I just being daft ?

Cheers

Nick
Back to top Go down
g1xgm

Call Sign : 26CT1358
QTH or Location : Bradford
Equipment Used : Various.

PostSubject: Re: Squelch/Autosquelch question   Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2019 5:42 pm

You set The squelch manually.Autosquelch sets itself.
Back to top Go down
Pappy Nick

Equipment Used : Xiegu X5105, Retevis RT-95, Anytone AT-D878UV, ALINCO DX-10, CRT SS6900 N, CRT One N, Baofeng UV-5R, Alinco DJ-X3

PostSubject: Re: Squelch/Autosquelch question   Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2019 7:28 am

g1xgm wrote:
You set The squelch manually.Autosquelch sets itself.

Hi g1xgm ...

That's what I would have thought. But, on this new rig (CRT One) the "autosquelch" has settings similar to the manual squelch which, to my mind, isn't very "auto".

Cheers

Nick
Back to top Go down
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

PostSubject: Re: Squelch/Autosquelch question   Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2019 2:07 pm

Pappy Nick: There should be a setting in one of the menus where you can adjust / set the Auto Squelch level.....there are 9 levels which you can choose from and then whenever you select Auto Squelch it will automatically go to your chosen level. I have the CRT-SS9900 but I think it will be the same on your CRT.....the settings are in the "Background Function" menu on my radio but it may be somewhere else on yours in one of the other menus (if you have more than one....I'm not familiar with the CRT1).
Back to top Go down
Pappy Nick

PostSubject: Re: Squelch/Autosquelch question   Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi Phil ....

You're right, I can set the autosquelch levels from the front panel, but this is what I'm having trouble getting my head around. I either press the squelch button and set the level of squelch, or I press and hold the squelch button and then set the level of autosquelch. It just appears to be doing the exact same thing ! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

PostSubject: Re: Squelch/Autosquelch question   Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2019 3:00 pm

Pappy Nick wrote:
Hi Phil ....

You're right, I can set the autosquelch levels from the front panel, but this is what I'm having trouble getting my head around. I either press the squelch button and set the level of squelch, or I press and hold the squelch button and then set the level of autosquelch. It just appears to be doing the exact same thing ! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes, its more of a gimmick than anything else. I don't use it much because I'm usually in SSB mode (where squelch doesn't work) but I leave it set on level one whenever I use FM which is very rarely. I think you're right....squelch & auto squelch are doing the same thing and the auto squelch is just a pre-set which may or may not be useful depending on the current noise level. If you use AM or FM its probably easier to just use the "normal" squelch so that you don't have to keep going into the menu to adjust the Auto squelch level whenever the noise level increases or decreases. With my radio in "normal" squelch mode I just have to turn the knob until the noise disappears....I don't have to press any buttons or go into the menu unless I want to use the auto function.
Back to top Go down
BigTone
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : G8YMW or 26CT4498
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Lincoln and Finningley
Equipment Used : CRT 9900, Icom 705, Kenwood TS570, Icom 910

PostSubject: Re: Squelch/Autosquelch question   Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2019 11:17 pm

I find the auto-squelch works differently.
On manual, anything above a certain "S" meter reading opens the squelch
On auto, I think it's a "noise squelch" seems to be dependant to an extent, on the signal/noise ratio.
Does make the radio a bit more bearable in built up areas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Squelch/Autosquelch question   Squelch/Autosquelch question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Squelch/Autosquelch question
Page 1 of 1