Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Project: PC-ALE NVIS HF Antenna + SGC-235 + FT-847
Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeToday at 3:14 pm by Wireless

» DC HI warning on SS 6900N
Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeToday at 3:07 pm by Shane837

» HF Contacts 15m
Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeToday at 2:45 pm by Alan Pilot

» Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?
Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeToday at 2:12 pm by Rich13

» Silver Rod
Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by Wireless

» Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?
Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 pm by Alan Pilot

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeToday at 12:30 pm by morris

» Stolen radio
Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeToday at 12:22 pm by Lima alpha 1

» Arwen whats she done.
Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeToday at 9:57 am by Markone

Keywords
radio bazooka power ss9900 callsign call list president Mobile lincoln sign display yaesu 9900 6900 Calling coax midland chart Sirio Mckinley supply SS6900 ALINCO frequency antenna
QRZ Database

Foundation Licence Contesters

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 169
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Foundation Licence Contesters Empty
PostSubject: Foundation Licence Contesters   Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2021 5:28 pm

Hiya All,

Hope you're keeping well and most of all enjoying your radio. Foundation Licence Contesters 1f44d 

(Gawd, that's gonna become a catchphrase isn't it? Very Happy)

Recently I came across a group on Facebook, (I know, not everyone's favourite tool and wasn't mine until recently), that seemed to be rather helpful. I'm actually glad I joined as it's provided a wealth of information for me already so far and I just love seeing the enthusiasm there.

It's called the "Foundation Licence Contesters" group and can be found at the following link :-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/822567635112486/

You have to join as it's a private group but they only ask basic questions such as if are you interested in contests, your call sign, etc. (Obvious really.)

Now 'contests' may also not be everyone's cup of tea but there are times when I would appreciate the, "You're 5/9, number 023, QRZ", than be asked for the umpteenth time, "So when are you going to get your full licence", or the, "Are you sure you're running 10 watts?".

They're fantastically enthusiastic about it and above all, really helpful to each other.

Someone's bound to say it's, "the blind leading the blind", but at least one of the admin is a full licence holder and contester who is enthusiastic about helping new people into what can be an interesting aspect of Amateur Radio. That certainly deserves some praise.

Think you can't do well with your Foundation Licence and measly 10 watts? Think again, some of them do really well. Smile

Anyway, thought I'd pass that on if anyone was interested. It certainly pricked up my ears enough to join. Foundation Licence Contesters 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC Online
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 38
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Foundation Licence Contesters   Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2021 7:00 pm

New one to me Victor but just joined.
I only signed up to face book when i decided to go for my licence.
I was using my wife's account but she was getting a bit pppp off as i was joining groups on there lol.
First group i joined was the Essex Ham but joined many since then in my name.
Thanks Victor.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Foundation Licence Contesters   Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2021 7:47 pm

Glad it was of interest Alan.

I only joined Facebook due to Charlie Tango and then joined the RSGB Foundation group when first licenced, (which wasn't as useful as first envisaged), but came across this group recently. Seems like a fine bunch.

Who knows, I may even have a pop at a VHF contest myself one day as it's been interesting listening up to now. I know they'd be a lot of help. Foundation Licence Contesters 1f44d 

All the best mate,
Victor
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : SS6900N, Xiegu G90, DX-300 for SWL, all antennas home-made

PostSubject: Re: Foundation Licence Contesters   Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2021 8:48 pm

Read the thread title and started to read the post and initially thought it was going to be about a facebook group of people contesting the foundation licence Sad ..glad I read the rest Smile

Sounds like a good group. I don't use FB, so hopefully one of you kind souls who are in will post a note up here if there's any interesting contest taking place to listen out for? Fingers crossed it won't be too long and I can call back to them too

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Foundation Licence Contesters   Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2021 9:32 pm

Ha, ha! Very Happy

Sorry to scare you there Neal. 
There were/are at least a couple of groups dedicated to such nonsense, Foundation time limits, scrapping licence tiers and only having a Full licence option, etc. Sometimes so called 'freedom of speech and ideas' on such platforms is the real terrifying thing!!

There are however some great groups out there with people more than willing to help each other thankfully. Might be worth contemplating Facebook if only for such groups.

You can find most Amateur Radio contest dates & calendars with a quick internet search. Be warned though, the reason help groups are invaluable is it can all be a bit of a minefield. Some individuals are very competitive and won't be happy if you're not 'on form' with speed, clarity or other such. There are those though that are more than happy to talk through or explain such things.

Hope you're getting on well with your studies Neal. Looking forward to congratulating you on a pass! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foundation Licence Contesters   Foundation Licence Contesters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Foundation Licence Contesters
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: The Amateur Lounge :: Amateur Discussions-
Jump to: