Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
2022 power 6900 antenna meter Mckinley 2023 Baofeng supply lincoln Sirio ss9900 yaesu anytone ALINCO chart president sign callsign software display 9900 Mobile call frequency list
QRZ Database

contest good or bad

Go down 
+3
GaryWilson
Alan Pilot
skipmaster
7 posters
AuthorMessage
skipmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-1079
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Walsall

contest good or bad  Empty
PostSubject: contest good or bad    contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 4:25 pm

hi to everyone not sure if its a good thing but im not a fan of this contest thing going on at the moment im not against it but it does take up a lot of the frequencies on 11m and ive noticed certain big dx groups will not speak to you if you dont belong to their group . only winners are going to be people with big stations and plenty of time to operate maybe just me but im not a fan .... your thoughts ? 73's Mark Very Happy

bubbles likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: contest good or bad    contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Can't stand contest contest contest full stop.

bubbles likes this post

Back to top Go down
skipmaster
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: contest good or bad    contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 6:17 pm

hi Alan doesnt do it for me 5/9 5/9 5/9 but i dont mind 5/9 when its a must have dxcc ha ha  cheers cheers Mark
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: contest good or bad    contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2021 10:04 pm

There's plenty of empty space on the bands. Each to their own I guess.

73's Gary.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: contest good or bad    contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2021 7:05 am

I think I'm with Gary on this one in that there is a lot of band space available to embrace every aspect or interest no matter where your radio interests lay.

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: contest good or bad    contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2021 8:12 am

Yes i agree plenty of space it's just when you are going through the band and hear a station "contest" is all you hear.
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: contest good or bad    contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2021 7:54 pm

Over time 11m has got more serious,a bit more ham..
No issue with that from me as I do like a bit of dx but the ola ola,pepsi cola,donkey noises and the commandante/oscar do get annoying.
So for me a little contesting is ok...just twist the dial 😉

GaryWilson and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
skipmaster
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: contest good or bad    contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2021 8:05 pm

too right its serious Sam you dont hear many 148's or old school cb's anymore even though ive got a mk1 jackson its easier with the hf and new radio's and as for them muppets they would go down well near me on 19  Very Happy we got more than average here cheers Mark

Cozzmik likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lowi
Lowi

Call Sign : 26-CT-4164
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : CRT Superstar 6900n .. wilson 1000 mag mount

PostSubject: Re: contest good or bad    contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2021 10:36 pm

I made contact with a station in the contest yesterday, after giving each other a radio check he then asked me for a progressive number.
I didn't have a clue what he was asking for
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: contest good or bad    contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2021 4:27 am

Hi Mike. The "progressive number" is the number they are in your contest log. If you take part in a contest, you would most likely have to submit a log at the end of it which typically would include call sign, signal rx, signal tx, and progressive number received and given for each contact made. The first contact in your log would be prog number 1, then 2, 3 etc.

Depending on the club and / or contest, the prog number importance varies. Sometimes has little importance. Often they are used to help verify a contact when judges are comparing logs. Sometimes not submitting a log sheet to the club will mean that operators you have worked will not get a point for the contact they have made with you. The ATs have had even harsher contest rules in the past.

Hope that makes sense, but I wouldn't worry much about it at the moment. I tend to avoid contacting 11m contest callers, but sometimes find they are in contest but hadn't made it clear in their call, in which case I just give them a unique number to make them happy and so they can quickly move on to calling again.

Mark, in answer to your original question.. I'm not really fussed. As I said above, I tend to avoid contacting callers, but they don't seem to take up loads of the band. It tends to only be the HI block. I don't think I've ever heard contests on other blocks. Something to listen to though when doing the house work.. beats listening to just static hiss Smile

Victor, Alan Pilot and Lowi like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: contest good or bad    contest good or bad  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2021 6:05 am

Nicely explained there Neal, thanked & liked accordingly. contest good or bad  1f44d 

The only thing I'd add is that if someone is calling out announcing 'competition' then it is best to leave them to it if you have no idea what the competition is about....

....imagine walking up to someone in the middle of a chess tournament and asking them how the 'Horsey-thing' moves, or stopping someone in the middle of a marathon run to ask them for directions.....

Their 'barrier tape' to the event is the word 'competition'. 

That said I have heard examples on Ham bands where operators happily explained to new licence holders who have interrupted what they were doing. However some are less than gracious but again, they're in the middle of an event and it must get annoying after a while.....that age old advice of using your ears and listening first can go a long way. Wink

I'm personally not a big fan or have any involvement in 'sport-radio' but do respect those that do by simply leaving them to it. 

As Neal, (SangueG), mentions it can be enjoyable to listen to rather than an empty band and can also sometimes be a give away for good propagation conditions, so simply turn that dial to a clear frequency and shout CQ! Smile

Sam, (Cozzmik), says it well - it definitely beats listening to "Hola-Hola....Oscar, Oscar, Oscar, Oscar....One Kilowatt" on the triple 5! Very Happy

We're all lucky to have so much radio space available to us, more than enough for every radio interest or pursuit to be happily accommodated for.

Enjoy your radio.

Victor

Alan Pilot and Cozzmik like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: contest good or bad    contest good or bad  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

contest good or bad
Page 1 of 1