Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Keywords
yaesu midland ALINCO display president ss9900 list Calling frequency Sirio callsign 9900 power chart antenna supply coax bazooka radio 6900 Mobile Mckinley sign SS6900 lincoln call
QRZ Database

Returning to radios.

Go down 
+5
Dinjoe
SangueG
Alan Pilot
Victor
Rich13
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4231
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Whitehaven
Equipment Used : CRT 6900+ venom silver rod

Returning to radios. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2021 6:37 pm

Cheers !
That's what  I thought might be the case  now I just need to  decide which part of the radio spectrum I want to check out . I fancied the 2m band as it seems relatively inexpensive to set up but spoke to a local ham on  11m ssb the other day and he reckoned there were not that many on in this area , however I can clearly pick up a repeater in SW Scotland with my scanner and an antenna  in the loft and assume I'd be able to open it on VHF gear ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 39
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2021 6:47 pm

HF and the world is your lobster.
Congratulations on the pass.
You should get it through the post Tuesday/Wednesday but you might be lucky and get it sooner.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2021 7:03 pm

Thanks Alan .
I've got a recently bought ss6900 v6 radio which only has the 11m and uk 40 CB bands in + the mid / low bands , 
I have the programming cable and software to put in the 10 m band from 28Mhz , but it looks like I'll have to sit and manually enter  frequencies into where I want them ? I thought of removing the low 11m 26 Mhz range and below  bands as there seems to be little on them as someone actually has mentioned on the forum somewhere before I think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paddy
CT Directors
CT Directors
Paddy

Call Sign : 26CT2727
Times Thanked : 41
QTH or Location : Stockport
Equipment Used : Icom 7300. Icom 705, Yaesu FTM400XD and a Yaesu FT70.

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2021 8:07 pm

Congratulations Richard, fantastic news. I’m so pleased the Charlie Tango Lads were instrumental in encouraging and helping you. Made my month this post has. Congratulations again.

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : SS6900N, Xiegu G90, DX-300 for SWL, all antennas home-made

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2021 8:28 pm

Richard, my one of those radios came with band F as hi hi (super hi) 27.865 - 28.305. Because I had UK 40 set on another band I didn't need hi hi really, so wiped off band F and programmed it with 60 channels with 10kHz spacing (on the zero's, not ending 5's like CB channels) from 28.300 upwards (a good chunk of the SSB section of 10m). It doesn't take long to change frequencies once hooked up to the computer.

I managed a good 70+ Euro contacts on 10m using that setup in the first 6 weeks after getting my callsign. You should have some good fun on there now, but I did have the early summer E skip on my side then. 10m is a lot quieter than then at the moment but some good stuff does come through now and then just like on 11m. Have fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 170
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 pm

Hi Rich,

Just saw your news about passing your Foundation and wanted to offer my congratulations to you.

Really pleased for you and very well done! Returning to radios. - Page 2 1f44d 

The radio world is more open to you now and I'm sure as in examples shown here already there will be many to offer you a helping hand and advice should you need it.

As our Paddy has already mentioned it's always a pleasure to hear such news from a fellow Charlie Tango member and radio enthusiast.

All my very best to you and hope to catch you on the bands. Returning to radios. - Page 2 1f44d 

Victor
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2021 10:48 pm

Thanks  Victor.
I've quite a few questions to ask now , about the new frequencies available to me ,so I will be posting in the relevant sections . It's nice to still have access to a proper forum with active members  , which Facebook seems to have killed off in my other interests . I have never done face book.

Paddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 39
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2021 7:07 am

Richard 
You will find that many of the members on here have done the test but still stick around as cb is in there blood.
28Mhz is dead where i am located sorry to say but should pickup given time so don't get disheartened if you don't hear anything.
2m/70cm set is a low cost start would think we all went that way to start but you will soon want the HF bands.
Start saving as it is very addictive and not the cheapest hobby but well worth every penny i think.
Have you looked it the for sale section a 2m/70cm plus some HF sets in there (Radio Related Classified Adverts)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2021 9:10 am

I understand what you're saying Alan similar here. In the few months I've had my 11m band set I've only had one contact on FM CB bands and that was only because i stumbled across some chap testing a mic on a random channel and one other local ham on the ssb plus the odd continental station contact
Something which can access the 20/40m bands perhaps? I've discovered which bands are most active at times of day from my HF receiver days . 
I can pick up a repeater in SW Scotland across the water loud and clear on 2m and the Manx one .A hand held seems like an option   and could be carried on a daily walk . Decisions ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2021 12:52 pm

SangueG wrote:
Richard, my one of those radios came with band F as hi hi (super hi) 27.865 - 28.305. Because I had UK 40 set on another band I didn't need hi hi really, so wiped off band F and programmed it with 60 channels with 10kHz spacing (on the zero's, not ending 5's like CB channels) from 28.300 upwards (a good chunk of the SSB section of 10m). It doesn't take long to change frequencies once hooked up to the computer.
I might give that a try today, I take it you can store the frequencies in whatever memory bank/band you want . my cb channels are in bank F I was thinking of removing the super low band as there seems to be nothing on there ever , and putting the 10m frequencies in band A or would that not work?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : SS6900N, Xiegu G90, DX-300 for SWL, all antennas home-made

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2021 5:59 pm

Yep, you can change the frequencies of any of the channels on any of the bank/bands. You can store up to 60 channels per bank.

Super low might seem quiet at the moment, but I am sure as the solar cycle picks up there will more activity on it. You can always program it back in later if you want, or add a few frequencies like the super low calling frequency to a channel between 41 and 60 on any of the other bands, just so you can flick to it to check it out now and then. I have programmed 41 to 60 on a few of the other banks just for random 10 and 11m frequencies that interest me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich13
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2021 6:09 pm

That's great info I've set the cable up and made a backup of my current config , had bother initially with a could not find com port error in the software , but I tried a few things and not sure what I did that actually sorted that out but it seems OK now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickl

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Potters Bar
Equipment Used : Icom

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2021 6:18 pm

Any one using Digital TV on the air like SSTV?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Returning to radios.   Returning to radios. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Returning to radios.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: