Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» what radio do you wish you never sold
SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:04 pm by tspirawk@gmail.com

» First dx in 40 plus years
SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:01 pm by Nightprowler

» Antenna Required.
SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

Keywords
ALINCO chart callsign Mobile Baofeng yaesu lincoln power Sirio ss9900 2022 display sign 2023 antenna call frequency 6900 president Mckinley anytone list meter supply 9900 software
QRZ Database

SSB in Derbyshire

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
awake1

Call Sign : 26-CT-4221
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Wirksworth
Equipment Used : President McKinley on base station. Thunderpole 5.

SSB in Derbyshire Empty
PostSubject: SSB in Derbyshire   SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi all, this is my first post here and the first time in many years since I used CB.
There are a few of us in and around where I live who would like to contact each other and we're setting up with SSB capability.
Using a McKinley and a 1/2 wavelength antenna, and being as how I'm the first one to have set up a rig, I realise how few there are out there nowadays.  Shocked
I mostly get foreign users on upper or lower skipping through chiefly on LSB 30 to 40 channels. Could anyone suggest the easiest way in which to talk to more local users? I might add that we have a lot of hills here in the Dales and although my antenna is mounted on a 6 metre pole, line of sight is very limited.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

SSB in Derbyshire Empty
PostSubject: Re: SSB in Derbyshire   SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 2:44 pm

Hi Peter
That is how it is now on cb.
Many are returning to the hobby but it is slow.
Conditions are getting better for the long distance dx contacts as the cycle goes.
I am on my own around here but the odd one does pop up now and again and hope more return soon.
Regards
Alan.
Back to top Go down
awake1

SSB in Derbyshire Empty
PostSubject: Re: SSB in Derbyshire   SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 2:56 pm

Hey great, thanks Alan for the reply, I guess I'm just going to have to be patient! It's my first experience of side band, just a little frustrating listening to continental broadcasts with nothing from the UK. What do you reckon would be the chances of local comms with intervening hills. Anglesey's not so bad for that I guess, although Snowdonia's nearby.
Back to top Go down

SSB in Derbyshire Empty
PostSubject: Re: SSB in Derbyshire   SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 5:53 pm

Hi awake1,Sideband can be like that at times with nothing but hiss on all bands then alive with activity the next.First you could start with UKFM but that beats the point of SSB.Try high band 27.555 USB as this may be the international calling channel but everyone from the UK is doing the same but calling the other way.Especially if there’s a lift on and short skip is on the cards,speaking to Scotland,Wales and Ireland is fantastic.I also do this on Mid block Am.Then there’s repeaters as an example 26.955 low band FM which is in Ottenstrein Niedersachsen Germany,One minute it’s Germans talking the next it could be someone in Devon,Just call out your know when the repeater is open because your head your own voice back. (slightly confusing at first but also a good indication the band are opening.Mid Block Fm 27.285 is another but in Spain.Then are there any Radio nets in your part of England and they don’t even have to be close because all we’re trying to do is see how far across the uk and beyond we can reach.Don’t get disheartened because it’s just being on the right frequency at the right time and ignore the echo mics and hello hello hello..🤣
Hope that was of some help
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

SSB in Derbyshire Empty
PostSubject: Re: SSB in Derbyshire   SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 6:32 pm

Peter
Request a call sign and shout back to the "continental broadcasts" that's the fun side of ssb.
As Tom say's try the FM and see where you get.
Back to top Go down
awake1

SSB in Derbyshire Empty
PostSubject: Re: SSB in Derbyshire   SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 7:29 pm

That sounds like great info Tom, just what I was looking for, thank you, I'll give those things a go tomorrow.
Once more into the breach Alan, I got a really clear bit of skip from France yesterday on FM, I was surprised at the clarity!
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

SSB in Derbyshire Empty
PostSubject: Re: SSB in Derbyshire   SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 12:06 am

Hello Peter,

It is the main problem with living in an area like the Peak District. I live in the North of Derbyshire in Buxton and it is a real dead zone for radio. Even without the high noise level, groundwave on cb is less than 10 miles for me, from home. To that end, I have been a mobile only station for the last decade.

The upside is I can be 1800 feet asl with zero noise after a five minute drive from home.

Good luck.👍
Back to top Go down
awake1

SSB in Derbyshire Empty
PostSubject: Re: SSB in Derbyshire   SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 7:23 am

Just up the road from here then John, I'm hoping that I can reach a little further with side band than I would be doing on straight CB. I have friends in Bakewell and even nearer to me but don't yet know how much difference 12 watts makes because they're not set up yet.

Ciao John  Smile

John123 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

SSB in Derbyshire Empty
PostSubject: Re: SSB in Derbyshire   SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 7:29 am

Morning Peter
Radio is a strange beast in many way's.
An old m8 of mine has recently got his Ham licence.
He lives 20 miles away from me and on 20m ssb we can't hear each other but on FM we can.
Strang things radio waves lol.
Back to top Go down
awake1

SSB in Derbyshire Empty
PostSubject: Re: SSB in Derbyshire   SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2021 8:16 am

Morning Alan, yes I guess they are, I'm just hoping that they can do quite a lot of bendy things.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SSB in Derbyshire Empty
PostSubject: Re: SSB in Derbyshire   SSB in Derbyshire Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SSB in Derbyshire
Page 1 of 1