Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
Just Memories  Icon_minitimeToday at 7:41 pm by VanRougeT4

» another pic for you all
Just Memories  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:54 pm by peewee norfolk

» pic for you all
Just Memories  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:53 pm by peewee norfolk

» 11m conditions
Just Memories  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:11 pm by glenn dog

» CRT space U/ space V
Just Memories  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:27 pm by 26CT1074

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Just Memories  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:01 pm by stephen Gunrunner

» EU conditions have started
Just Memories  Icon_minitimeToday at 7:04 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
Just Memories  Icon_minitimeToday at 3:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Just Memories  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:25 pm by Sydthecat

Keywords
call Mckinley supply antenna ss9900 6900 lincoln sign power 2023 meter anytone software frequency Sirio ALINCO yaesu 2022 list president 9900 chart Mobile Baofeng display callsign
QRZ Database

Just Memories

Go down 
+2
SangueG
Model Maker
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Model Maker
Contributor
Contributor
Model Maker

Call Sign : 26-CT-4242
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Southampton U.K.
Equipment Used : Nill at the moment.

Just Memories  Empty
PostSubject: Just Memories    Just Memories  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2021 9:50 am

While i am sat here having a quiet pint, i thought i would just say I took a long walk yesterday and found myself looking for antennas instead of just walking and enjoying the scenery.

I know every body says "Back in the Day blah-blah-blah" well i keep'd remembering when the sky was littered with antennas.
Well I only saw one. Two if you count seeing the same Antenna on the way back LOL!!
No wonder it is quiet in my area.

I suppose Skype, Zoom, and mobile phones have now taken over.

Maybe if there were not so many idiots on CB's back then it would be going strong today.

Well i suppose now i have finished my pint and my pension will not allow another i had better go.

Before i do.
Do you guys have any short stories to share ?

MM.   26-CT04242.

Sydthecat, glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man, Barramundi and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

Just Memories  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Memories    Just Memories  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 9:04 pm

Hey Martin, I do look around from time to time when out for walk for antennas. I don't see many locally. Two that I have done have been there for a very long time. One is a 1/2 wave silver rod on top of a small block of flats, I knew the owner back in the day, don't know if they are still around. That one's been up there 30 years and still looks pretty straight.

The other one is at an educational facility, it's a 5/8 with mini ground planes, but used for a radio paging service that uses 27MHz, not for CB. I know as I helped set it up almost as long ago as the 1/2 wave above. It didn't have that support half way up back in the day, so looks like someone has been trying to keep it going.

But anyways, short stories to share. I probably have loads, as will many others from back in the day. A short one which is just as funny now as it was back then, for me anyways, was to do with a friend's experience... We were both about 16 I would say, as none of were able to drive just yet. He spoke quite a bit with a lady in a village about 6 miles away. She came across like she was about 20ish years old, though none of us ever asked, and her saucy sounding handle kind of affirmed that image in our heads she was. She invited my friend over, and all excitedly he said yes, so we cycled there together.

In short when she opened the door she definitely wasn't 20 years old, and hadn't been for many many years.

Alan - Mirror Man, Cozzmik, Model Maker, Barramundi and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Model Maker
Contributor
Contributor
Model Maker

Call Sign : 26-CT-4242
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Southampton U.K.
Equipment Used : Nill at the moment.

Just Memories  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Memories    Just Memories  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 9:30 pm

Hi SangueG,

I can just picture your faces LOL!!

MM.   26-CT-4242.

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

Just Memories  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Memories    Just Memories  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2021 5:11 pm

Nice one guys 

No short story’s but do have a short notice 

You now don’t need to check into this venue using the NHS app 
You can now stand @ the bar 
No need for any social distancing 
Duke box is still on the blink 
Still no beer due to the on going supply problems 

Good news is we are still open 24/7 

Cheers N Beers 

CT Landlord

John123, Paddy, glenn dog, Alan - Mirror Man and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
Barramundi
Barramundi

Call Sign : 43-CT-015
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Equipment Used : Uniden Washington, Yaesu 450D, Yaesu 857D. My home QTH antenna you wouldn’t believe me if I told you, my mobile antenna is a Terlin Outbacker Multitap to cover from 10-80 mtrs

Just Memories  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Memories    Just Memories  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2021 5:10 am

Hi Martin
Yes I often have a look about as I drive around and walk for that matter for antennas and anything that might be radio related. I got involved back in the mid seventies with CB here in Australia back when you needed a licence still remember the licence QAF177 every second person in our little country town was on CB everyday and night no matter what the hour you could usually find a chat. As the years went on and life changed I drifted in and out of radio and realised that each time I drifted in and out there seemed to be less and less activity local and DX. I decided the days of CB were over so thought amateur radio would be the go and so went and sat my foundation licence here in Australia which is 2mtr/70cm, 10-80 mtrs and digital modes. But as time has gone on I have gotten a little bored of the QSO’s re the latest visit to the Dr or the last prostate exam, so have comeback to the beloved 11 mtr band. But unfortunately it is not as I remembered very rare to get a QSO on the band and with propogation toing & froing what I remember of those glorious days in the 70’s on radio are just that a memory.

Uncle P likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kindred
Kindred

Call Sign : 26-CT-4373 2E0HHW
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Washington,Tyne and Wear
Equipment Used : SS9900, Silver rod Antenna, 991A Radio, 817nd, Kenwood TS-711e, X50 and HF 360 Antennas

Just Memories  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Memories    Just Memories  Icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2021 2:32 am

Hi Guys,

Back in the 80's on the CB in Paisley was great time I have fond memories of them days. But I also have nightmares lol. One in particular let me explain I am 56, My wife is 12 years younger than me and my mother in law is 11 year older than me. Back in 83 I was 18 our enjoyment was going out mobile with Billy painterman who was a lot older than us. We use to spend our day on the CB at home making arrangements for eyeballs that night, Billy would pick us up in his triumph and we would go to these eyeballs with the CB on in the car. One night we took a drive to Greenock which is roughly 20 minutes away from my hometown Paisley. I got talking to this lass called Julie her handle was sexy sue she was separated with 4 kids including a daughter, We spent about a week going to Greenock just so I could talk to her. This particular night she invited me and just me up for a coffee being young and game for anything I went. I will spare you the details Billy and Chic came back for me a good 6 hours later. 

Well I completely forgot about Julie moved on to another eyeball never thought much more about it. Met my wife when she was 17 I was 29 while we were both working in the same supermarket CB days just a distant memory. Was introduced to her mother and step-father got engaged on her 18th birthday and got married that same year 1995.

We moved to my current QTH in 2005 and my mother in law and step father came down  in 2010 and that was when the nightmares started. They stayed at ours for 6 weeks till they got a house during which time we were talking about our pasts and she mentioned being on the CB and some of the people she met. 

I was keen to know more so asked if she could remember her handle well I nearly died as soon as she said sexy sue the memory came flooding back and horror set in.

Floydian557, Barramundi and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Just Memories  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Memories    Just Memories  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2022 9:07 am

I do the same and saw a new antenna on the roof of one of Helsinki main police stations  from my morning train ride to work, will have to get a photo next time, i would say its not any digi service, about 4m main antenna and 3 ground plane rods , will have to see if any more Police stations have them.

Uncle P likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Just Memories  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Memories    Just Memories  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just Memories
Page 1 of 1