Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
lincoln power Sirio anytone meter 9900 Baofeng supply 6900 president sign Mobile callsign Mckinley display 2022 antenna chart 2023 call software ss9900 frequency ALINCO yaesu list
QRZ Database

Call sign request (Issued)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mattyb1989

Call Sign : 26-CT-4250
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Yate, Bristol
Equipment Used : Baofeng UV5R

Call sign request (Issued) Empty
PostSubject: Call sign request (Issued)   Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 11:44 am

Good morning all,
I'm Matt from the outskirts of Bristol.
Totally new to the hobby with lots to learn, after spending a few evenings reading up some bits I bought a cheap handheld to listen to what was floating about in my local area.
A call sign would be great for when I invest on some decent kit!
Kind regards,
Matty
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 2:44 pm

Hi Matt,

Welcome to Charlie Tango.

....and welcome to the hobby, totally new with a million paths & opportunities to explore! Smile Call sign request (Issued) 1f44d 

You have the Baofeng listed in your equipment which is capable of PMR frequencies. I do believe that there is some PMR action in and around the Bristol area so may be worth listening for the 8@8. (Sundays 8pm, Channel 8 - 446.0937MHz).

You could also look at the Amateur Radio Foundation licence, now with online exams, free online training and opens a host of bands, frequencies and modes to you. Exam fee is less than £30 and you already have the Baofeng which would open 2m and 70cm Amateur bands to you. (I have a homemade beam and use my little Baofeng to talk around East Anglia through the repeater network!)

Then of course we have CB radio, nowadays with the legal use of Sideband & AM modes which can carry your transmissions around the world when the right conditions are in

All exciting stuff!
Don't let it all overwhelm you, radio can become a lifetime hobby. Wink

Also don't be afraid to ask any questions on the forum, there's a really helpful bunch of people here.

Call signs are usually issued most days and your profile is all filled in ready to go, so just keep an eye on this posting for when our Mr. Gary Wilson allocates you.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 6:11 pm

Hello Matt, welcome to the forum.

I am delighted to allocate you 26-CT-4250 may you have good luck with it.

I would definitely concur with victors comments with regard to the radio you have bought. There might be some action on PMR but I would imagine you'd do better on the 2m & 70cm Amateur bands. You can do your foundation exams online now and get your license in a couple of months. Whatever you decide all the best of luck to you.

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Mattyb1989

Call Sign : 26-CT-4250
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Yate, Bristol
Equipment Used : Baofeng UV5R

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 pm

Evening Gents,

Thank you very much for the advice and call sign allocation, listening in to the 8&8 last night was actually what prompted me to look a bit further into the call signs etc and pointed me this way.

I will continue keeping an ear out on the PMR channels and look into the foundation licence, Could you point me to a link for the online examination?

Kind regards,
Matty

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 7:47 pm

Hi again Matty,

I can thoroughly recommend Essex Ham for their online training course and invaluable help in obtaining your Foundation licence and what is required. Many members here including myself passed Foundation with their help.
Link as follows :-

https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/

Worth starting there first and signing up to their course before booking an examination with the RSGB which can be found at the following link :-

https://rsgb.org/main/rsgb-examination-booking/

Do see what is required with Essex Ham first before booking your exam so that you're not caught out unexpectedly. (I had to ask for a friends help with the loan of a Windows laptop having a webcam as I run a Linux machine.)

I hope that helps and do wish you the very best with it all.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2021 10:45 pm

Hello and welcome, Matty.

73s John.
Back to top Go down
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2021 7:44 am

Hi Matty, welcome to the CTDX group 
73s 
Steve.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Call sign request (Issued)   Call sign request (Issued) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Call sign request (Issued)
Page 1 of 1