Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» HF Contacts 15m
Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeToday at 2:45 pm by Alan Pilot

» DC HI warning on SS 6900N
Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeToday at 2:25 pm by Alan Pilot

» Is 11 meters dead in your 20 ?
Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeToday at 2:12 pm by Rich13

» Silver Rod
Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by Wireless

» Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?
Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 pm by Alan Pilot

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeToday at 12:30 pm by morris

» Stolen radio
Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeToday at 12:22 pm by Lima alpha 1

» Arwen whats she done.
Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeToday at 9:57 am by Markone

» 17metre contacts
Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeToday at 9:01 am by Ivy Mike

Keywords
power coax SS6900 Mckinley frequency list yaesu ss9900 sign 9900 call radio 6900 ALINCO Mobile lincoln Calling Sirio display bazooka president supply chart midland callsign antenna
QRZ Database

Hamclock on a Pi

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 15
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700

Hamclock on a Pi Empty
PostSubject: Hamclock on a Pi   Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2021 9:52 am

Well, I was bored today, and having bought a Raspberry Pi 400 last week to play with, to go with my Pi 3 and Pi 4 I'm also not using enough, I figured I better do something about it.

I've always fancied a Geochron type clock on the wall, I've just never fancied the price tag to go with it.

So, I grabbed Hamclock and installed that on the Pi 400 (With lots of messing about and cursing, as it's been forever since I last used Linux) and then stuck the SD card in the Pi 3 tucked behind an "old" 32" screen I had that doesn't really do the resolution I like on my Windows desktops, so was sitting unused....and managed to get it up and running in the shack.

I do need to sort a proper power supply, as it's unhappy running off a USB extension lead, due to the voltage drop, but that's an easy fix as I run a 12v shack.

I'd also like a cleaner way of shutting it down than VNC'ing or SSH'ing into it from my other PC, but again, that can wait, but will probably be a wireless mouse I can keep in a draw or similar.  Next job is to play with all the settings and work out how I want it setup!

For now, it looks like this on the wall above the radio PC's screen:

Hamclock on a Pi 20210910

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 38
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Hamclock on a Pi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hamclock on a Pi   Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2021 12:48 pm

Nearly bought one made up from ebay a week or 2 ago as i did like the look of it.
While typing the first line i thought of somebody who run's Linux and it has given me an idea so i might just shop round for the bit's needed ?????.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 169
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Hamclock on a Pi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hamclock on a Pi   Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2021 3:21 pm

Nice one Jeff and great work. Hamclock on a Pi 1f44d 

Love the "I was bored today..." and then turned it into a creative event. Fabulous! Smile

43CT016 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 15
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700

Hamclock on a Pi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hamclock on a Pi   Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2021 11:24 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Nearly bought one made up from ebay a week or 2 ago as i did like the look of it.
While typing the first line i thought of somebody who run's Linux and it has given me an idea so i might just shop round for the bit's needed ?????.

Not much needed to be honest, if you have a Linux machine.  Just compile and go, basically.

I just wanted a standalone device as the radio PC and main workstation are both Windows, and a Pi was the cheapest and smallest way to get it.

I might even see if the Pi 3 has enough grunt left to double as an APRS iGate which is my next project.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Hamclock on a Pi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hamclock on a Pi   Hamclock on a Pi Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hamclock on a Pi
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: The Amateur Lounge :: Amateur Discussions-
Jump to: