Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in
XMAS COMPETITION: Win a Brand New Yaesu ft891 with Wideband Modification and to help the winner use it we are including a 30 Amp Power Supply on top. This is our biggest prize yet. All this could be yours for Christmas for just £20. - See Latest News Forum for details.
Latest Buxton 2020 News: Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19 pandemic we have had to cancel this year's Buxton date. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Introduction and Call-sign Request
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:58 pm by John123

» New member intro
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:53 pm by John123

Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:39 pm by John123

» Coax i am using 213
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:57 pm by NUBSTER

» Charlie Tango Dx eQSL Email Addresses Available £5
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:12 pm by tony 767

» Looking for eqsl
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:35 pm by 26ct954

» Call sign (Issued)
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:02 pm by Chefsdead

» New Member Callsign Request (Issued)
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:41 pm by pipart20

» Foundation
Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:10 pm by John123

Keywords
division tickets 6900n bazooka tango lincoln Calling president antenna 9900 chart power list ss6900n charlie call midland sign alan ss9900 Mckinley Mobile radio frequency callsign Sirio
QRZ Database

Wideband Modification

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Silverbone

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Southport
Equipment Used : Baofeng UV-5R

Wideband Modification  Empty
PostSubject: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi

What does Wideband Modification mean and what does it actually do.

Thank you

Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sgt Bilko
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Sgt Bilko

Call Sign : 108 ct 302 - mm0ibe
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Prestonpans. East Lothian
Equipment Used : Amstrad 901

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 10:17 pm

On an amateur HF radio it will only transmit on the designated amateur bands.
The wide band modification allows it to transmit on the full coverage of the radio.
Most users get it done so they can use the CB / 27.555 etc etc.
Depending on what radio you have, it can be an easy mod or quite difficult.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silverbone

QTH or Location : Southport
Equipment Used : Baofeng UV-5R

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 7:09 am

Hi Paul

Thank you for the reply, I understand it a bit more now.

Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sgt Bilko
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Sgt Bilko

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 8:40 pm

Everything you need is in here.

https://www.mods.dk/

You will have to log in. It's free.

Paul.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitenomad

Call Sign : M0MUU
QTH or Location : Uk
Equipment Used : grantII tentec jupiter

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 1:12 pm

Wide-banding modern equipment is not a good idea. It can be viable with old equipment and above 144Mhz.

With modern/new equipment.
a) invalidates all warranty
b) in order to comply with regulations, legally sold CB and amateur equipment has to pass the CE tests which includes tests to ensure in-band use only. Some manufacturers build in protection against out of band use.
c) can affect re-sale value of equipment
d) Even though one can remove links and diodes to wide-band, the firmware can often without warning lock-up and "brick" the radio, especially on modern rigs like the 991a and 7300 - there is different firmware and motherboards for different regions.
e) The in-built filters are so sharp - one can, and people do burn-out the filters transmitting out of the bands for which the radio was designed and built for.

How can I say this? - I work in the industry and with the manufacturers. Often wide-banded HF radios are damaged needing a new main board. Even for a legitimate multi-region application (e.g. on a boat needing both European and US band capabilities), usually it means two separate regionalised rigs with different main boards and firmware.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 63
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Tut, tut, naughty boy. Widebanding?!

You'll be having the BR68ers choking on their egg sandwiches! lol!

Nice to see the old scare stories still doing the rounds Wink

Right, I'm off to play music, wide band FM on the old 27.7812....somewhere near as dammit, with me Yeasu! lol!

(Before anyone spits their dummy from their pram, that's a lots of "LOL's" up there!)

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Call Sign : 26ct2767
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Swindon
Equipment Used : Yaesu ft818 , yaesu 8900r , yaesu ft950, stalker 9

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 6:38 pm

I only widebanded my 818 for testing purposes as i do not have a analyser so on 1w i can tune to find the swr dip . I know technically not alowed but on 1w i dont think i would be a problem , and its only friefly key down .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDKOcut5wtIUlNKHHSM0wyw?view_as=subscriber
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 63
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 7:04 pm

I wouldn't even think twice about it Matt Wink

So long as what you are doing is of benefit or interest to yourself and without detriment to anyone else, it shouldn't matter.

Heck, you can legally pipe your flipping internet around your mains wiring wiping out anyone with an interest in radio recievers chance of reception nearby! Now that's a "wideband" problem as many would agree!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Call Sign : 26ct2767
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Swindon
Equipment Used : Yaesu ft818 , yaesu 8900r , yaesu ft950, stalker 9

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 11:37 pm

Well said ! Very Happy

Uploading a YouTube video but you will see how I use it for a analyser lol but wouldn't dream having a qso ... it's not enough power 😂😂

Joking aside the 818 is a great reciever. That a kl203 and a t2lt on a hill be a great station .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDKOcut5wtIUlNKHHSM0wyw?view_as=subscriber
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sgt Bilko
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Sgt Bilko

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 7:56 pm

I personally don't see a problem with the wide band mods. I've done lots over the years for myself and others. As long as you don't run high power out of band, the filters will be ok. Never had any problems with any radio I've done.
I know you're not supposed to use HF set for 11mts etc but most amateurs do.

Paul.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 9:27 pm

My Yaesu 891 was widebanded by the retailer who sold it to me with a full warranty. There are plenty of people on 11m on various tired old SSB rigs who are a hundred Hertz off frequency, carrier leaking, "other" sideband only 10dB down, splattering, overdriving their non-linear amp, etc (and a few with new "export" radios which are just as bad). None of the dealers are keen to talk about it for understandable reasons, and indeed a couple of them won't sell a widebanded rig, but at least a third of the market for HF radios is for 11m. Radios don't have ham band bandpass filtering, there is no issue. Just don't try and modify a radio yourself unless you know what you are doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
saltire
saltire

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North east scotland.
Equipment Used : Stryker 955/Gainmaster .AnyTone AT-778V/U, icom 7300(On loan).

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 10:17 pm

Seen some real butcher jobs on you tube , modern smt boards especially .I watched TRX bench do one and he was using a £400 set of weller tweezer soldering irons and when you see it being done by a pro then he makes it look easy , using the right tools for the job .You need good eyesight and a steady hand for the modern boards .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gert 19CT006
Gert 19CT006

Call Sign : 19CT006 / PD0CT
QTH or Location : Hillegom, Holland (15 miles south of Amsterdam, near to the coastline)
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A with Yaesu MD-100 mike, President Lincoln ll Plus with Sadelta mike, HyEndFed sloping wire for 10, (11), 20, 40m, Diamond X-50N for VHF/UHF

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 4:39 pm

I'm about to get my HAM licence (within 3 months) after being a 'freebander' for 40 years. My new rig is going to be a Yaesu FT-991A, which I ordered with the 'Full TX' modification. The warranty will still be in tact, just as long as I'm not butchering it myself.

Hey hell... the fact that I'm becoming a HAM doesn't mean that my love for 11m will suddenly vanish!

Order your new rig with the modification done by the supplier and everything will be fine. Over here (19 div) it will only cost as much as € 22,50. If you have any doubts about the warranty, just ask them what the terms are.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 23
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 4:47 pm

26TC62 wrote:
Radios don't have ham band bandpass filtering, there is no issue.

Yeah actually some of them do although they may be called pre-selectors. Entry level ones might not but when you start getting to mid and upper range they do. My Flexradio had filters for each individual ham band.

Using HF rigs for 11m makes absolutely no sense. They don't hear any better than a CB does on 11m, if someone is transmitting a wide splattering signal a HF rig can't magically get rid of RF from that on the frequency you're listening to. And given that many HF rigs being used on 11m are either old or entry level ones then the dynamic range at 5kHz or 10kHz spacing is no better than a CB. Also many CBs are more "on frequency" out of the box than most ham gear not fitted with a TXCO. TRX Bench has tested CBs that have been 10Hz or less off frequency out of the box. My TS480 needed a TXCO installing to manage that.

In fact when it comes to UKFM because HF radios use narrow deviation you sound quiet to those using CBs where they're normally wound up more than that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wideband Modification    Wideband Modification  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wideband Modification
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: The Amateur Lounge :: Amateur Discussions-
Jump to: