Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT callsign please (Issued)
Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» EU conditions have started
Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeToday at 2:19 am by babis3g

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:58 pm by VanRougeT4

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

» 11m conditions
Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 10:33 pm by babis3g

» Ten on 10m FM - event 20th April
Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm by SangueG

» END FED QUESTIONS ..
Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
Mobile frequency ALINCO Mckinley ss9900 supply yaesu lincoln 2022 Sirio power chart president call list display software sign meter 2023 anytone callsign antenna 9900 Baofeng 6900
QRZ Database

NVIS Mobile Propagation

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Empty
PostSubject: NVIS Mobile Propagation   Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 12:21 am

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: NVIS Mobile Propagation   Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 1:18 am

When you say mobile, do you mean portable given the reference to horizontal dipoles, as opposed actually mobile out of a vehicle?

I tend to use an autotune antenna in the 4x4, which with the standard whip will give me 80-10, and with a longer whip, 160m, but very poor efficiency on the lower bands obviously.

For 80m NVIS, I have a 45 degree adapter so can angle the whip over the front of the vehicle to shoot the pattern more vertically.  Same concept as the military use if you look at the way the HF antennas are bent forward.

Parked up, it's a squid/fishing/telescopic pole and then an EFHW which you can orientate to favour the band and type of propagation you want.
Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: NVIS Mobile Propagation   Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 3:10 am

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: NVIS Mobile Propagation   Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 3:45 am

Interesting.  I’m running a Codan 9350 on the back of the Landrover, as an ATAS is nowhere near rugged enough for proper 4WD use in the middle of nowhere.  That’s hooked up to an IC-7000 to give me VHF and UHF as well as HF in the one radio.  If I was making proper use of our HF Landmobile (non-Amateur) networks out here, I’d swap it for the Codan so I had Selcall and ALE, as well as GPS positioning updates and could use the phone interconnect service most of the networks run.

We don’t get 60m here, so 80m is the norm for NVIS unless the MUF is high enough for 40m
Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: NVIS Mobile Propagation   Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 12:42 pm

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: NVIS Mobile Propagation   Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2022 7:04 am

Wireless wrote:

That is a nice if a tad expensive antenna, particularly like the Codan NVIS Kit for 1.6MHz to 12MHz, not sure I could fit something like that to my Toyota Avensis Estate, as all the bumpers are plastic, I don't currently have a 4x4, well not a true one, I'm thinking of fitting these NVIS Dipoles to my 2000 Audi S3 Quattro using the Audi Roof Rack (Steel).  I am suspicious that the wife is starting to see through everything I buy as being 'just a couple of quid dear', she may be cottoning on.

I'm also banned from putting ANYTHING in the wife's SUV!  Very Happy

Those antennas can be had quite cheap s/h (at least here, where they're made), and the police also run them on plastic bumpered saloon and estate cars by a bracket connected to the tow hitch.

For on-road use, I'd use and ATAS as long as I didn't need 80m, or Hamsticks if I predominantly used one or two bands.  None of whcih is any use for NVIS, of course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NVIS Mobile Propagation   Mobile - NVIS Mobile Propagation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NVIS Mobile Propagation
Page 1 of 1