Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 12:11 pm by glenn dog

» CRT space U/ space V
callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 11:27 am by 26CT1074

» CW sidesweeper, new project
callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 11:01 am by stephen Gunrunner

» EU conditions have started
callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

Keywords
call lincoln frequency 2022 antenna Baofeng supply yaesu meter president callsign software anytone 2023 ALINCO sign list Mobile Mckinley display ss9900 chart power 9900 Sirio 6900
QRZ Database

New callsign please? (Issued)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kevinbloomfield

Call Sign : 43-CT-967
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Mountain Creek, Queensland, Australia
Equipment Used : Icom 7300

callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Empty
PostSubject: New callsign please? (Issued)   callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 3:13 am

Hi, my name is Kevin and I live near Brisbane in Australia. Just getting back into CB after many years absence. Deciding what radio to go for (Ss9900 or Icom 7300) and what antenna (silver rod etc). Hopefully this is enough info to get a callsign?
Kevin
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: New callsign please? (Issued)   callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 5:43 am

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Charlie Tango.

Also a warm welcome back to CB radio, it'll claw you back eventually. Wink

To obtain a call sign you'll need to ensure your profile is filled in as per the instructions at the start of this section. Just click the 'Profile' button at the top of the website when you are logged in and enter your name, country and QTH, (yes, I know you mention them here but it helps admin responsible if the details are in your profile). As soon as that is done our Admin guy responsible for call signs, (Gary), will be able to allocate you and usually does this most days.

SS9900 or Icom 7300? Big price difference between the two and I'd say the 9900 is the sensible choice if just using CB frequencies with the 7300 being a firm choice if you are a licensed Amateur or plan on being one in the future. I know there is a certain fashion for 'Posh CB' nowadays with CBers using Ham gear, (although that was always the case judging by the condition my poor old Yaesu FT757gx came to me in!), but it doesn't really make long term sense....to me anyway. Up to you in the end really. callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) 1f44d 

Judging by our other Australian members here at CT it looks like there's been some great propagation conditions on CB/11m and that'll just get better as we ramp up the solar cycle over the coming years.

I wish you well with everything you do and I hope you enjoy Charlie Tango there being some great international membership with very helpful people.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Kevinbloomfield

Call Sign : 43-CT-967
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Mountain Creek, Queensland, Australia
Equipment Used : Icom 7300

PostSubject: Re: New callsign please? (Issued)   callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 5:58 am

Thanks for that, I have updated my profile. I have just transferred my UK amateur licence over to Australia and plan is to buy and use the 7300 on 20, 40 and 11 metres. The problem isn't buying the radio its deciding what antenna to buy. Still wondering whether to buy SS9900 and Antron 99 and having separate 11 metre setup or the 7300 and something like a Hustler BTV4 tuned to 11 instead of 10.
Back when I was young in early 80's I had Cobra 148GTL-DX with Sigma 4 on the chimney, CB was very busy in those days as we all know and I bet its really quiet over here in comparison!
Anyway, looking forward to getting it all setup and hopefully now and then can hear the UK coming through

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: New callsign please? (Issued)   callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 6:30 am

No worries Kevin and thanks for updating your profile. Our Gary is usually along most days so just keep an eye out on this posting for when he allocates you a call sign.

I know we have members here who are Hams but also like to keep a separate radio just for CB use, this could be for legal reasons or maybe just personal choice. I'm sure there are just as many that use wideband modified equipment including those that are CBers only.

CB is very different over here nowadays compared to 'back in the day' and sure that must also be the case in Australia too. When I came back to it a few years ago it was a bit barren and unfortunately still some of the old ways persisted such as constant swearing, multiple roger beeps, keying over and general unfriendliness. Luckily there were quite a few 'civilised' users that were interested in a friendlier mode of transmission including DX activities and was how I came across Charlie Tango. 

In the end I went on to obtaining a Ham licence, (after much support and enthusiasm given here), so now enjoy the bands available to me.

When the 'skip' or Sporadic E is favourable it seems you can fire signals around the globe with the proverbial piece of wet string and a few watts. Obviously different antennas and power levels will give you more options.

I haven't heard Australia on anything but FT8 up to now so have my fingers crossed for a good solar cycle.

Best of luck and all the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: New callsign please? (Issued)   callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 6:59 am

Hi Kevin, welcome to the CTDX group
73s
Steve.
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: New callsign please? (Issued)   callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2022 10:59 am

Hello and welcome, Kevin.

73s John.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: New callsign please? (Issued)   callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2022 7:24 pm

Hello Kevin, welcome to the forum.

I am delighted to allocate you 43-CT-967 may you have good luck with it.

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.

Kevinbloomfield likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New callsign please? (Issued)   callsign - New callsign please? (Issued) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New callsign please? (Issued)
Page 1 of 1