Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

11m Winter Challenge, 1st December - 31st March. Details in DX Lounge. Join us now..........
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m winter challenge
What ya doing? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:16 pm by Sharpshooter

» Dipole on a tree
What ya doing? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:36 pm by skyrider

» High cost of Rigs.
What ya doing? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:47 pm by skyrider

» HF Contacts 10m
What ya doing? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:47 pm by SangueG

» New topic - Call sign request
What ya doing? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:43 pm by Paul Dunn

» HF Contacts 20m
What ya doing? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:39 pm by Ivy Mike

» new member (Issued)
What ya doing? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:11 pm by GaryWilson

» radio classifieds
What ya doing? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:59 pm by skyrider

» Call sign request (Issued)
What ya doing? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:54 pm by GaryWilson

Keywords
Baofeng 6900 power Mckinley frequency Calling radio Sirio display yaesu antenna lincoln 9900 ALINCO Mobile callsign SS6900 anytone sign midland chart list call 2022 president ss9900
QRZ Database

What ya doing?

Go down 
+9
Ivy Mike
SangueG
Wireless
stephen Gunrunner
Nightprowler
Alan Pilot
BASS 666
Sharpshooter
Victor
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 222
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 6:56 am

Hi to all CT members,

I hope you are all keeping well and most of all enjoying your radio.

I'm pretty sure that most of you at one time or another have been busy with some radio activity or another when someone peers over your shoulder and says those familiar words "What ya doing?"

It might be a friend, a family member or maybe even your 'better half'. (Often the 'better half' doesn't really want to know or maybe doesn't even ask in the first place leaving you well alone with your radio shenanigans! Very Happy )

So I'll ask out of genuine interest..... What ya doing?

Doesn't matter if you're simply enjoying your radio making as many contacts as you can, building or reorganising your radio 'shack', maybe even studying for Foundation to get your Ham ticket or progressing up that ladder to Intermediate or Full. Maybe you've bought a new radio and struggling to operate/program it or you've hit back on the CB airwaves and have been enjoying this summers skip season.

Let us know what you've been doing even if it's as simple as dusting around your radios.

So long as it's radio related, (it is a radio forum after all), it's all good.

Make it a time to shine, to boast about a far off DX, that new antenna you've been erecting, maybe even building or just a chance to boast about a new or new-to-you radio.

Or perhaps even to share a disappointment, maybe something's not working quite right or you're not making the contacts you expected too. They do say a problem shared is a problem halved and maybe someone can give you some pointers or help.

So again, "What ya doing?"........ I look forward to hearing all about it.

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : Deeside
Equipment Used : CRT SS 9900, Ranger 2950DX Sirio 4000, Midland portable, Manor Kestrel, CRT space U, UV5R's x2,

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 9:15 am

Well the other night I went for a drive up the hills and found a nice high spot.
I could hear loads of voices on 19 Muppet band to the point it sounded like 1981 all over again. 😁

Got a contact with a new local breaker who had just returned to radio.
And then it went all pear shaped.
The smell of burning and the rig turning off. ☹
Luckily it was just the cigarette plug.

Yesterday a new plug was sourced, unfortunately the only place near was Euro car parts ☹
£4.49 for a cheap looking plug but needs must.
Turned out the plug was worse quality than the one I removed.
Brittle plastic (a piece broke off the end when disassembling) ☹ and useless screw connections.

So I couldn't go on air last night ☹

It's going back today and they can shove it where the sun don't shine.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 11:30 am

Hi Nige,

Sorry to hear of your woes concerning power connections to your rig. (Some of those plugs leave a lot to be desired!) I hope you get it sorted.

Really good to hear that otherwise you've been out and about catching some CB action on high ground making contacts. I wish you well with continued mobile operations as I do love to hear about them. (You can go hell for leather with a homebase setup but equally do marvellously well with a straight forward mobile setup. Smile )

Thanks for your posting, always good to hear what CT members are up to.

I suppose I ought to add something too.......

What ya doing?

Prattling about with my ATU, matcher, whatever you like to call them. My 44 foot of lawnmower lead in the loft strung up as a ladderline doublet does rather well on the higher HF bands but struggles on the lower frequencies.......or at least the ATU runs out of steam!

I've since modified the ATU, (Pi Network), with a 1:1 Bal-Un, (or Un-Bal? Wink ), made from a honking big T200 ferrite ring as well as additional inductors in the tuned section and a switchable silver-mica capacitor, (from an old valve radio). I can now get a 1:1 SWR on both 40m as well as 80m and made a dozen or so European contacts on 80m FT8 over the last couple of nights. What ya doing? 1f44d

Not bad for an antenna that's theoretically too short!

I even had a PSK report, (but unfortunately no contact), with a station as far away as Indonesia.

I'm a very happy bunny indeed and now looking at rebuilding the whole thing or seeing how I can do with a typical T match circuit. Any antenna is better than no antenna. Wink

How about any other CT members? What ya doing?

Doesn't have to be anything complicated or even technical, (unless you like). Have you made a good contact recently? Got past mic shyness and made a first contact? Discovered a new repeater you can access on 2m/70cm? A good DX on CB? A new contact with PMR? Got a new radio or bit of radio kit?

Anything and everything you like, (radio related of course), we'd love to hear about it.

Go on...What ya doing?

Sharpshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down
BASS 666

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : belfast
Equipment Used : none yet

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 12:10 pm

got rid of my two month old superstar 6900 n v7 because it seems they are all developing a problem with the channel selector coming loose and not selecting channels correctly .. fair play to Thunderpole they took it back and let me pay the extra for a President McKinley and let me just say the difference in quality is huge ... 
Uniden board and made in Vietnam 24 to 30 mhz and lots of goodies in the menu .. still using the Cobra 148 gtl dx as my first radio but here in Belfast the skip is very low for the last few days ...

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 2:27 pm

Hi Gary,

It's a shame hearing about your problems with the SS6900 but really pleased that the supplier/retailer Thunderpole were able to happily accommodate you. I hope the replacement McKinley serves you well. What ya doing? 1f44d

The skip action has been great this summer and really good hearing about everyone's contacts both on CB and 10m. It never last forever though but always exciting to catch.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Anyone else out there in Charlie Tango land?

What ya doing?
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 47
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 3:25 pm

Going back in time here Victor.
I/we get qsl cards sent by email and i have been saving the emails for some time now.
Had an idea last week and downloaded some to my pc then uploaded them to my iPhone stay with me.
You see many adverts for free printing App's so i sent a load of the qsl cards and for the cost of postage i got back a pile of glossy printed qsl cards.
I have now made a start on pinning them up on the shack wall where i can  going to have to rearrange a few cables hanging up very soon lol.

Victor and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 3:37 pm

Awesome stuff there Alan! What a brilliant idea. What ya doing? 1f44d

Would love to see your QSL card wall when you're done mate.

Ha, so impressed I'm going to have to give you a 'Thanks' for that.

I'm afraid that even with over 400 contacts on HF digimodes I have only ever received back 3 eQSL cards.
(Only half the b*ggers confirm on QRZ too!?! Wink )

Well, this posting is receiving a lot of views already so people are obviously interested. Why not add some input of your own and maybe other great ideas will come to the fore. Either way it would be good to hear from other Charlie Tango members.

So come on you CT lot.....What ya doing?
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 3:46 pm

Victor
Do you upload your adi file from QRZ.com to eQsl.
I do once a month and then get hammered with the emails for a week.
Some have nothing but writing if you get what i mean but some have the card attached they are the ones i save.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 3:56 pm

What ya doing? Qsl_wa10

Well it's a start lol

Victor and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 4:14 pm

Great stuff there Alan and good to see. Smile

I know some had QSL card walls that were vast back in the day but it's a different time nowadays.

I recognise Herman PD0WAG from your card collection as it's one of the three that I've received!

Nope, I don't bother with eQSL etc. as most 'services' constantly beg for money and as you mention a lot use the free service so simple text based cards are sent.

Thanks for posting Alan, always good to see what everyone is up to and that is a great idea.

How about the rest of you lot in Charlie Tango land? Don't be shy, come and tell us what you've been up to.

What ya doing?
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 4:41 pm

I don't pay on eQSL just a standard card for me.
I get some through the post with $ in for a return.
Send to them but yesterday i had a station from Japan ask if he could send me money in paypal he wanted my card from Wales.
The girls in the little shop/post office down the road look at me in a strange way when i go in to post them lol.
The $$$ came in handy in Egypt a few weeks back they love them so i used them as tips.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Equipment Used : CRT SS 9900, Ranger 2950DX Sirio 4000, Midland portable, Manor Kestrel, CRT space U, UV5R's x2,

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 5:18 pm

Well Victor, I returned the darned plug and set off in search of another.
A car shop stocked the very same make for £2 compared to euro car farts £4.49 🙄
Then onto another car shop.a better quality version/same looking for £3.95 but all fused efforts.
Then Eureka, the bloke mentioned fuse taps. Du,oh I'd forgotten about those and I had planned it that way .

So now it's all wired in and I don't have to switch over plugs for the CRT space U .

Last night not being able to go on air felt a bit like having no nicotine 😁

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nightprowler

Call Sign : 163TM186...MW6ETW
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Abergavenny
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT757 GX2...Yaesu MD-1...Various dipoles

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 7:08 pm

Well I got made redundant at work recently and as I had been there for years they paid me a nice lump sum so I went radio shopping and got a boxed mint condition Kenwood TS440S, kenwood MC60 desk mic and a Kenwood PS430 power supply. Also a boxed Welz SWR meter and some new RG213 coax for the Sirio GM and a new laptop for the shack. Oh and the day after I got made reduntant I started a new job with a better wage, Now what else do I need?

Victor, Ivy Mike, Sharpshooter and TG064 like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 7:24 pm

Nightprowler wrote:
Well I got made redundant at work recently and as I had been there for years they paid me a nice lump sum so I went radio shopping and got a boxed mint condition Kenwood TS440S, kenwood MC60 desk mic and a Kenwood PS430 power supply. Also a boxed Welz SWR meter and some new RG213 coax for the Sirio GM and a new laptop for the shack. Oh and the day after I got made reduntant I started a new job with a better wage, Now what else do I need?
Result i call that.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 8:57 pm

Hi Nige,

Great result with your electrical antics, I seem to recall someone on CT mentioning fuse taps before. Glad you got sorted and yeah, once you're into radio it's definitely like a drug!

-------------------------------------------

Hi Rich,

Definitely what we used to call a 'Brucie bonus'! Wink

Glad that you weren't out of work for long after redundancy and able to enjoy your redundancy pay. Can't think of a better thing to spend it on than more radio gear myself. What ya doing? 1f44d

Thanks for posting.

-------------------------------------------

Been really great hearing what CT members have been up to but there's still more readers than there are posters. So come on you Charlie Tango's.....What ya doing?
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 12:46 pm

Well, along the lines of telecommunications. Excuse the pun 😁

Having texted the dog groomer and re texting to accept a 9am appointment this morning.
Traveling 20 miles, dog stressing on the journey.

I arrived to find she wasn't there as it turns out she hadn't received my confirmation text ☹

So it's most likely down to her provider EE, (i certainly wouldn't test Kevin Bacon giving me a cut throat shave on Snowdon via their wi fi ) 🤣😮
Although mine, O2, did state "sent" I'm not ruling them out. 🤔

Anyway I'm thinking of moving to 3 for unlimited broadband.😁

To sum up.
Modern communication isn't always that reliable, and definitely less fun 😁
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 1:08 pm

Bit of an update on the wall.
Sent off for some more to be printed so next week when i get the rest.What ya doing? Wall_u10

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 3:13 pm

how is this for bad luck , went out the hills and pulled up put on the cb radio , and nothing very quiet nothing got out of the car nothing no antenna, tri mag was there, i was lucky never keyed up, but were was my antenna, so phoned home its on the hedge i had left it at home so all i had was the pmr space u so not all was lost picked a few contacts but it could have been a better day but....

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 6:22 pm

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 6:27 pm

Wayne
How big is your shack m8.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 6:58 pm

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 8:28 pm

Wireless, I save a fortune making home brew. The only problem is I drink more 😁

Wireless likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 36
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2022 6:41 am

Nige, same(ish) for me, but "saved" not "save". Been a long hard road for me, but will be 2 years dry at end of the coming month. That, mostly in the past now personal struggle, plus other current hard to deal with life issues and worries that I am sure almost all of us have to face at times in our lives, means that I am keeping my radio activities fairly simple to relax my mind...

Thank you Victor for starting this thread. It has been fun reading through peoples replies. So, what I am doing?

After a good first stab at the 10m CT challenge, am taking a more relaxed approach to the remainder of the time left. Free time is short, so I have been more happy just having chats to anyone on 10m when I hear stations on. No new points for the challenge recently, but enjoyed long chats into Norway, a G90 to G90 chat into Ireland where the other op was sat in his garden using just 5 watts, and fun (albeit confusing fun) with foreign FM repeaters. Still holding out for a few more contacts before the challenge close, but if no more happen for me then I am happy with my total and have enough data to help me plan how to improve my 10m set up an operations for the future.

In the very long term I would like to try and obtain a full licence. After checking the syllabus for the direct to full exam through, it is really too much for me at present. I have no interest in a lot of the content, which makes it hard for me to learn. My main reason for one day obtaining would be that I could run a remote station, or more accurately, run my home station from a remote location over the net... Part of plans formulating to improve my 10m ops in the distant future (I've missed many opportunities to call for rarer stations when at work).

I am playing a little with V & UHF. Not excited and grabbed me like HF, but have made a few simple antennas that have worked better than I thought ever would. Have joined in a few RSGB contests, and although not doing it to try and win anything, happy that I obtained a few points for the Swindon club I am a member of and managed a few distant QSOs too, out portable and even a few from home... 70 miles into Wales using a scrappy looking homemade j pole from my loft Smile

Even though I have a non-love of using PCs in connection to radio, hence almost zero data mode ops by me, something briefly possessed me recently to have a play with Echolink. That will be installed at work soon (something I can do with the foundation licence) so listen out for me popping up on your local repeaters Wink And a G4 ham who is the NOV holder for a local repeater told me "And yes, it is real radio", without me even asking a related question, which I thought was funny, he's obviously had a few debates about it in the past Laughing

Still love having a play on 11m too. Do hear some interesting countries pop up that I don't hear being activated on 10m.

Keep those QSL prints coming Alan, make me even more jealous of your shack. All my old ones are sadly kept packed away in drawers.

Victor and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://station-master.online/M7TDV
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2022 7:09 am

Neal
All my old ones thousands of them got packed away in the dustbin by my x wife along with other paperwork that i never got to register for a call.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2022 9:37 am

That QSL wall is looking good there Alan mate. What ya doing? 1f44d

Gives me a push that I must/may put a bit more effort into my QSL card activity.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi Stephen,

Ooh, forgetting the antenna! I feel for you.

I think one of the worst things you hear about when running mobile is forgetting an essential piece of equipment and not realising until you're at you destination. Gutted, but glad you at least had some PMR contacts so not a total waste. I've heard of SOTA guys travelling many miles then hiking to a hilltop only to realise they're missing a patch lead or forgotten the batteries....Still on charge ready but at home! Rolling Eyes

Thanks for posting.

Hi Wayne,

Glad to hear your radio activities are still ongoing. How did the tower and antennas go, all finally up?
I hope you managed to grab a bargain at the club sales event and well done with hosting a club BBQ event at your QTH.

Knew you wouldn't be able to resist a mention of some gun activity though. Wink

Thanks for posting.

Hi Neal,

I agree with you mate, it has been enjoyable reading through the postings and seeing as well as hearing what everyone is up to.

I honestly think you've done a fantastic job with your Amateur Radio activities and put a lot of us to shame with your great 10m contacts. (I wish I was dedicated enough to keep calling through pile-ups! Wink ) Really glad that you've been relaxing more and enjoying some conversational QSO's though, that's something I could more easily aspire to.

Like you my ears pricked at the recent Direct to Full opportunities presenting themselves. Problem is I'm not interested in more Watts but maybe would like the opportunity to be able to 'supervise' a transmission with any of my grandchildren. They however seem to have more fun with me gardening, playing and making stuff than the radios though. (Not helped by the poor PMR experience we had with some idiot swearing at them on air!)

I'm dabbling back on VHF again too after my HF stint, nice to have so many choices and options. What ya doing? 1f44d

Really great hearing what you've been up to and appreciate you posting. Thanks.

It's been an absolute pleasure to read through everyone's postings so a big thanks to you all.

Also seems that a lot of others are also enjoying the read but haven't posted yet so why not join in and post something of your own. We'd all love to hear what other Charlie Tango members are up to.

So come on,

What ya doing?

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What ya doing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What ya doing?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum