Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» SS9900 V4 Frequency
What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 7:40 am by 13oots2

» CRT SS6900N V7 - Reprogramming software - Error
What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 5:39 am by 13oots2

» Newbie call sign Application (Issued)
What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:40 pm by Leigh Rogers

» 11m Challenge Scores Only
What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:57 pm by Sydthecat

» 11m winter challenge
What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:34 pm by Kaosss

» Sorry to be a pain!
What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:08 pm by Baldrik

» Foundation Exam - PASSED!!!
What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:44 pm by Mick Lake

» Two Antennas and Radio Damage Question
What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:57 am by Alan Pilot

» Sirio 2016
What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:52 am by Alan Pilot

Keywords
list antenna lincoln Calling display yaesu SS6900 call 6900 sign division ss9900 frequency power ALINCO 9900 president anytone Baofeng chart callsign radio Mckinley Sirio Mobile 2022
QRZ Database

What ya doing?

Go down 
+9
Ivy Mike
SangueG
Wireless
stephen Gunrunner
Nightprowler
Alan Pilot
BASS 666
Sharpshooter
Victor
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

What ya doing? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2022 8:03 pm

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 8:29 am

QSLing.
I only do QRZ, eQSL and LOTW.
Don't do bureau as it was basically not much good although I did get a few good ones.

The best return so far is LOTW but of course we do not get a card.
eQSL is next got quite a few on there and some cards often turn up from years ago.
QRZ is not really my QSL thing but the log is useful.

All my logging is automatic as Gridtracker sends all straight away to the three of the above.

Last edited by Ivy Mike on Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 8:36 am

Victor wrote:
Great stuff there Alan and good to see. Smile

I know some had QSL card walls that were vast back in the day but it's a different time nowadays.

I recognise Herman PD0WAG from your card collection as it's one of the three that I've received!

Nope, I don't bother with eQSL etc. as most 'services' constantly beg for money and as you mention a lot use the free service so simple text based cards are sent.

Thanks for posting Alan, always good to see what everyone is up to and that is a great idea.

How about the rest of you lot in Charlie Tango land? Don't be shy, come and tell us what you've been up to.

What ya doing?
Hi Victor.
Been mostly chasing 4metre DX for the last couple of months.
Filled in quite a few new squares this year plus some new countries.

Shack has been quite hot recently and I tend to do early mornings or later in the evening.
Early mornings only weekends as I still work during the week even though I'm supposed to
be retired. Sad

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 253
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 10:20 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting about your QSL'ing, it's something I need to address because I've only been relying on QRZ for my logging activities. I thought it was a faff getting QRZ approval but 'electronic signatures', evidence of documents etc. for LOTW etc. sort of put me off a bit. If I want it, I'll need to push myself. Wink

(Must get around to looking at Gridtracker too!)

Always impressed with the contacts you make there Mike and I must say that hearing about others activities really does give me the enthusiasm I often need to push on with my radio interests. For instance, I'm still looking at that upper HF/lower VHF activity and deciding whether I should be converting up on the HF set or downconverting on the 2m sidebander. That'll be an additional interest path I've taken thanks to you and your activity on those bands. What ya doing? - Page 2 1f44d

You take it easy with your 'retired' working too, you've worked hard all your life and supposed to be reaping the rewards!

Really appreciate you posting Mike and good to hear what you've been up to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got to admit that I didn't know what to expect when I made this posting but really grateful for everyone that has posted. I hope that everyone who has been reading is enjoying it all and maybe given you some enthusiasm for your own radio activities or interests.

It's all fantastic stuff with us all not only being tied together with Charlie Tango membership but our enthusiasm for our chosen radio interests. Real people behind those call signs with real life stories to tell.

So for those that haven't yet posted or even those that want to post again, (we're always up to something when involved with radio!), I'll take a peer over your shoulder and ask.......

What ya doing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 21
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a TYT TH-9800, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 11:06 am

Today 31/07/2022

As I walk through a cloud of smoke and down the stairs
(can you guess what show I'm parodying)

I will be catching up on 2 weeks of posts and comments on Charlie Tango

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TG064
TG064

Call Sign : 26-CT-4525 / M7CVK.
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Io91BI Nr Pewsey Wiltshire
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, Yaesu FT818nd T600 MP1 super antenna , Yaesu Ft65, Wouxun Kguv8g Icom 290e Diamond 770, 3 element yagi

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2022 7:33 am

Morning Victor 
The past week has been Crap booted up the radio in the shack to be blasted by +30bd of a screaming noise  on all HF bands worst from 6m to 12m bands +7 on the lower bands. Done the power in the house would seem a local has installed some form of Wi-Fi extender which has distributed my hobby. So would seem I will have to jack it in at home and go just mobile not happy old chap regards Tony

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 47
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2022 7:54 am

Tony 
Can't you have a word with them.
Me i would buy them new (Amazon return if no better) rather than spoil my hobby.

TG064 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2022 7:57 am

Victor
Don't laugh but i have some learning to do today well when it is delivered later.
Think this might help what do you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJYeFpiqY8c&t=601s&ab_channel=IMSAIGuy

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TG064
TG064

Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, Yaesu FT818nd T600 MP1 super antenna , Yaesu Ft65, Wouxun Kguv8g Icom 290e Diamond 770, 3 element yagi

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2022 8:46 am

cheers Alan I need to find out if its the farm that have put a wi fi network in or one of the houses my yagi is picking up the noise pointing away from the row of houses and my first point when the row started was a transformer in the farm yard  but one will keep trying till I get to the cause, I asked SSE to check the pole as seemed to start after a recent thunder storm.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2022 9:33 am

Hi Tony,

Really sorry to hear about your QRM woes especially so early in your Amateur licence days.
I know that when I was first licenced I was frustrated with the amount of noise I seemed to be getting at my QTH. This wasn't helped when within a few weeks of gaining my licence all the village started putting up Christmas lights on their houses with each twinkling flash popping S9+30 on my radios!!

It didn't take long to look at other antenna options which at first seemed fruitless until I learned more about 'Common Mode Current' and fitted a 1:1 current balun which dramatically reduced my noise. Along with a mains filter built into an extension socket I reduced my reception noise dramatically! My newly built doublet although contentious to some works marvellously but my ATU also has a 1:1 current balun. (Now a dirty big T200 toroid type. Wink )

I've also learned that sometimes the bands can be terribly noisy and it only takes a minute to listen to a WebSDR tuned to a no signal area then see what their S readings are like. They'll have filtering to reduce the noises heard but you'll still see high S meter readings when the bands are noisy.

Just don't go comparing your signals heard to theirs remembering that each of us have a unique station. I'm in a hole in the middle of the UK compared to say Alan Pilots lovely salt water surroundings so he often does better than me just for that simple reason.

I think it's always best to eliminate everything you can at your end before starting to accuse neighbours of causing QRM. Then when left with no choice it's always best to work with neighbours as peacefully as possible. As Alan mentions even if it means you shelling out for say a replacement remote wi-fi for them if it ultimately helps you. (But only if the QRM is actually being caused by them obviously.)

I wish you well with it all and hope you manage to find workable radio conditions. Going mobile can be fun but often the home comforts of a base station can't be beaten. Smile

Thanks for posting and all the best to you.

------------------------------------------------------

Alan - Have you just gone and bought another NanoVNA?! Shocked

I'm not complaining as I love mine and use it for absolutely everything.......but it was yours originally! Wink

------------------------------------------------------

Loving all the postings and sure everyone else is too. Keep them coming. What ya doing? - Page 2 1f44d
Back to top Go down
TG064
TG064

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2022 10:57 am

Cheers for the reply Victor,
 I have no issues with getting out my 6watts and a home built antenna has got me across the pond  and into Europe it’s surprising the reports I receive. I will have a play with the position of the antenna and will look into a common mode choke I have a decent mains filter on the power to the shack and the all my kit is on a separate earthing rod driven 1.8 meters into the ground. As we are at present I can deal with a little noise plus I do like the mobile side as gets us out and about. I will try a few things like to keep busy on my days off 😃
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2022 10:59 am

LOL
Yes Victor i have will be here later today.
I have a digital swr/power and all that meter but it needs 12v and i want to set a mobile aerial on the car.
Been thinking about getting another for some time now since starting to plat around with wire again but this time i will have to learn how to use it.
That video looks like the job to show me the basics but plenty more to watch when i master the easy part.
Could take some time as you know what my brain is like Victor but i am sure you will help me out if i get stuck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2022 5:34 pm

Great to hear Tony and I wish you many more contacts. What ya doing? - Page 2 1f44d

Little hint when looking for a 'Common Mode Current' choke, have a gander for a 1:1 Guanella current type.

I wish you well.

----------------------------------------------

Alan.....I feel guilty about having your NanoVNA now but it was a gift that was fantastic to receive and I'll always be grateful.

I'm no expert at it all but do my best often having to recall what I did last time around when I measured something! You can always drop me a line anytime in the hope that I might be able to help out. (Just used it for some experiments with an EFHW for 40m but the damn thing is way noisier than my too short doublet?!?! Wink )

Oh yeah, "What ya doing?"......playing unsuccessfully with long end fed half wave antennas! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2022 6:41 pm

Victor
I had no interest in it and would have sent it to you sooner if i had thought about it.
Don't feel bad in any way i gifted it to you gladly knowing it was going to a good home where it would be appreciated and used only sorry i sent you the wrong power cable for it.
The way i look at it was you helped me a lot pushing me along remember and when i thought about re-homing it well i was glad i could do something to repay you and help you in return.
End of the matter OK.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2022 7:38 pm

No worries Alan my friend, I shall speak of it no further. (But still grateful. Wink )
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2022 7:41 pm

This one is interesting Victor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pjcEKQY_Tk&ab_channel=AndreasSpiess

Doing more homework tomorrow but need to find me an ear plug for one ear to stop it going straight through lol.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2022 7:56 pm

What ya doing?.....Mostly learning how to use the NanoVNA. Very Happy

There's some great tutorial videos out there Alan mate but don't try to absorb too much all at once. What ya doing? - Page 2 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 5:08 am

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 7:12 am

Victor
Absorb me absorb anything you should know better.

Wayne
That must be your shortest post ever lol.( still long page but that is all the gear you use listed i don't list all mine).
Keep up the studying m8

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 7:30 am

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 7:34 am

Wireless wrote:
Alan Pilot wrote:
That must be your shortest post ever lol.( still long page but that is all the gear you use listed i don't list all mine).
Keep up the studying m8

No idea what you mean
I like it "Kit" lol.

Wireless likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 9:18 am

You absorb enough Alan mate, you're here aren't you?
Hamming it up and bashing the airwaves as well as having a decent shack to boot plus playing around with wires making antennas, repairing radios etc. You do alright. What ya doing? - Page 2 1f44d

------------------------------------------------------------

Just noticed, I didn't have to spin the mouse scroll wheel like fury to get past Wayne's equipment list! Wink

Cryptic posting, but still guns/shooting/etc. Rolling Eyes

------------------------------------------------------------

What ya doing Victor?

I just got my QRZ World Friendship Award for 80m this morning.......from my homebrew 44 foot way too short dipole/doublet/whatever! Smile  What ya doing? - Page 2 1f44d

So now I have 10/20/30/40/80m on the list, just need to work on my 17,15,12m.
Only having about half of my contacts confirmed via QRZ means I have to work twice as hard!
Not bad for a bit of lawnmower lead stuck up in the loft. Wink

Never say never, any antenna is better than no antenna and most of all I'm having fun with it all.

....despite being told FT8 is not 'proper' radio, Foundation licence 10W is a waste of time, Covid Ham, M7-itis, ATU's are useless, ladderline is rubbish, you ought to get yourself some nice RG-213, a Yaesu what? Amongst other things.

All I can say is........ Razz

So, "What ya doing?"

SangueG, Ivy Mike and Wireless like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 9:56 am

I don't hear that m7 cr@p much at all now Victor.
More like "We need new blood the hobby is dying" from the old plonkers lol.
Cake and eat it spring to mind.
I did the RAE ? but never got the paperwork left home before it came did chase it up but 26 years too late say no more on that one got Linda behind me now well for a long time now lol have to watch my back  lol!

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 40
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 11:00 am

Victor wrote:
Only having about half of my contacts confirmed via QRZ means I have to work twice as hard!
Not bad for a bit of lawnmower lead stuck up in the loft. Wink
I only have a scraping over half my contacts confirmed on QRZ too Victor, and that includes the imported QSLs from LotW. So you are doing well with those stats. My percentage has dropped a lot I think mostly because I have been using QRZ to log V/UHF contacts, which a lot of people don't. I am not fussed on them being confirmed though, just using as a central place to keep a log. The LotW usage is purely to one day obtain DXCC or other major certs.. if I should ever fulfil the requirements and if I choose to obtain. It's right faff to set up, but now it is I can almost forget about it until I maybe apply for any certs one day.

You're doing magical things with your loft wire, keep it up!

Continuing the "magical" theme, what am I doing? Am pondering the mysterious reasons for the very occasional strange thing that has been happening between my radio setup and the cheap transistor FM radio in my daughter's room. A few times when I have been listening to a very strong signal on the G90 (and I mean very strong at least +40, maybe even +60) my daughter can hear them break through on to her radio over Heart FM on 97.2MHz. That's them breaking through, not my transmission. It would make a lot more sense if it was my transmission.

You hear stories of people picking up radio signals in their head because they have a metal plates in their skulls, and having built simple crystal receivers in the past know very well that the simplest built receiver can pick up transmissions even if not powered by anything, so what is happening is not impossible. Some of my antenna wires in the loft run less that a metre from the radio in her room, this might be part of the reason. I don't know if she has heard signals with the G90 turned off, if only when it is on then that would make a bit more sense, though I would be a little upset if it is radiating some signals it is receiving (haven't heard of radios or TVs doing that for a long time back when they used older tech, the G90 is an SDR new tech). Sadly she's staying away from us for quite some time for some care she needs, so can't experiment with her at present, but will when she returns. For now I will continue to just ponder this and listen out when I don't have my radios on to see if I hear Slavko from Slovenia or 10 year old Dora Soket from Hungary make an audible appearance in my daughter's room Suspect

So, everyone else, "What ya doing?"

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://station-master.online/M7TDV
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 2:25 pm

You experiencing the same sort of QRZ hit rate makes me feel a lot better Neal. It's not just me then? Wink

I have a 'newish' AM/FM radio that has one of those 'one chip radio semiconductors' in them and the damn thing picks up interference galore! (Great for QRM hunting though.) I did reduce the audio chip gain in it as it would even pick up electromagnetic influences from powered speakers just going near the speaker cable. Shocked

That made it a lot better but still pretty rubbish, whereas my old 1970's Bang & Olufsen Beolit 707 is immune from everything and still a damn fine radio. Shame they began shutting down all the stations though! Evil or Very Mad

Your case is pretty strange though?!?
(Thinking on my DAB portable in the workshops is pretty rubbish too.)

I wish your daughter well there Neal.

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What ya doing?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-