Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m Challenge Scores Only
What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 5:47 pm by Chris CT

» 11m winter challenge
What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 5:34 pm by Kaosss

» Sorry to be a pain!
What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 5:08 pm by Baldrik

» Foundation Exam - PASSED!!!
What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 4:44 pm by Mick Lake

» Newbie call sign Application (Issued)
What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 2:59 pm by Leigh Rogers

» Two Antennas and Radio Damage Question
What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 6:57 am by Alan Pilot

» Sirio 2016
What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 6:52 am by Alan Pilot

» HF Radios---No Idea!
What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by Alan Pilot

» Success at last!
What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeToday at 12:57 am by TheReverend

Keywords
9900 yaesu call Calling anytone ss9900 frequency callsign display antenna power SS6900 ALINCO sign Sirio 2022 lincoln division 6900 radio Baofeng Mobile chart Mckinley list president
QRZ Database

What ya doing?

Go down 
+9
Ivy Mike
SangueG
Wireless
stephen Gunrunner
Nightprowler
Alan Pilot
BASS 666
Sharpshooter
Victor
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 253
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

What ya doing? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 10:03 pm

Welcome to the Caravan forum where all aspect of caravans and caravanning.....oops, no wait.....the gun club where......damn, damn, damn.......radio, radio, radio!

Wink Very Happy

Setup an old HP laptop with Linux today, (no wait, isn't that computing?), for some dedicated FT8 action, (ah, back to radio Wink ), so that I'm not tying up the new laptop with it all. Seems to be working OK at the moment which it should do with WSJT-X requiring minimal processing power and the PSKReporter screen needing minimal internet connection speed. Lovely, declutters my main screens nicely.

Oh, built a 2m Moxon Beam using some 4mm metal rods left over from a broken garden umbrella. (Yep, scrounging around for parts as it's so much fun and costs nothing.) Not as impressed with it as I should be, needs to be in the clear and I still get swamped out by the local 2m repeater. Can open and hear the damn thing on a dummy load! Must be right up my backside. Rolling Eyes

Ruining my 2m FT8 attempts.

Started building another ATU but this time trying to load up my way too short bits of wire for 160m after coming across this article :-

https://www.dj0ip.de/open-wire-fed-ant/short-antennas/short-160m-antenna/

Haven't got a dirty big T520-2 toroid like that but getting some results with a tightly wound T200-2 and some copper wire wrapped multiple times around a bit of drain pipe. Wink

Only made the variable capacitor spark twice with my efforts.....(yep, even at 10 Watts!) so more work needed. Gladly no RF burns to speak of.

Oh, and wrote up my Analogue CTCSS circuit further to help a fellow Radio Amateur in Australia.

Busy, busy radio weekend.....but you never know how much time you have left so worth enjoying yourself whilst you can.

So, "What ya doing?"

(Doesn't have to be as busy as mine....as long as it's radio related. Wink )

Alan Pilot and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : Flintshire
Equipment Used : CRT SS 9900, Ranger 2950DX, Manor Kestrel, Sirio 4000 antenna, CRT space U, Sirio SU375-480 PL antenna, UV5R's x2,

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2022 12:37 am

Very quiet tonight on CB and ssb.

I just sat with my dog all day trying to keep her cool, then a short thunder storm went over, quick relief and the sun came back out.

Can see lightening tonight over yonder.
Off to bed.

73's 👍

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 47
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2022 7:20 am

Like it Victor but it will go over some heads.

Sharpshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Equipment Used : CRT SS 9900, Ranger 2950DX, Manor Kestrel, Sirio 4000 antenna, CRT space U, Sirio SU375-480 PL antenna, UV5R's x2,

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2022 10:29 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
Like it Victor but it will go over some heads.

The lightening certainly did go over my head 🤣

I detect a poke at myself and wireless over caravans 🤣

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 10:05 am

Don't worry Nige, none of it was a 'poke' at anyone in particular just more of a prompt to keeping things 'on topic' with subjects to be expected with a radio orientated forum.

I've enjoyed reading through members postings and hope everyone else has too as well as picking up hints and tips along the way. Like Alan's little tip with printing QSL cards, finding out everyone else has similar luck to me with QRZ confirmations and many other things besides.

The whole idea behind the posting was a genuine interest as to what everyone is doing regards their radio activities and hope that it's fun as well as informative for others. What ya doing? - Page 4 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 10:25 am

Nige
I did send you a pm.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 10:30 am

Victor wrote:
Don't worry Nige, none of it was a 'poke' at anyone in particular just more of a prompt to keeping things 'on topic' with subjects to be expected with a radio orientated forum.

I've enjoyed reading through members postings and hope everyone else has too as well as picking up hints and tips along the way. Like Alan's little tip with printing QSL cards, finding out everyone else has similar luck to me with QRZ confirmations and many other things besides.

The whole idea behind the posting was a genuine interest as to what everyone is doing regards their radio activities and hope that it's fun as well as informative for others. What ya doing? - Page 4 1f44d

Not worried Victor, quite enjoy a bit of banter/fun poking.
I'm very thick skinned.
But you have to be careful these days as "banter" seems to be getting banned due to more fragile peeps Very Happy.

And talking of CARAVANS 🤣 you may of noted a couple of rants from me lately.
I do apologise as I've been away at mine a lot recently and one or two days we're spent abusing alcohol. 🤣 I'm not normally an afternoon drinker 🙄😁

On the subject of radio, the last couple of days have been very quiet.
Very few faint calls on 555 and Muppet band totally dead. 

I was lucky when I came back on about 3 months ago to hear lot's of people.
Hope it isn't suddenly dying off in my area. Maybe I've put them off radio 🤣

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 am

Been setting up my new mini pc for ft4/8 on windows 11.
Did see reports of problems with 11 and ft4/8 software but so far so good working ok.
Have found some quirks but in my favour sounds daft i know but it is running ok.
Hardest part was finding my way round windows 11.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 10:53 am

"Bing Canada"  Very Happy Very Happy.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 11:16 am

No worries there Nige mate. What ya doing? - Page 4 1f44d

When I first came back to CB I found it a bit lacklustre until the summer skip popped in. Then it all went quiet again and the following year I got my 'ticket'. Never had so much radio fun since and there's always something going on with the Ham bands.

-----------------------------------------------------

Sorted then Alan?

I hated Win.11 at first and now love it.....so much so that I've struggled with Linux on the other laptop!

Well done with Canada, still yet to hit the Americas with a full QSO. (Get first contact then it all goes pear shaped. Had Japan call me yesterday with a -16dB report and then got 'stomped' all over!!! Shocked Rolling Eyes )

Hopefully my shenanigans with this new ATU I'm building will help out. (Can get a 1:1 match on 160m now!)

-----------------------------------------------------

Come on then you Charlie Tango's...."What ya doing?"

(So long as it hasn't got to do with 'muzzle velocity' or some other such. Wink )
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 2:20 pm

Well Victor, having recently bought more kit I thought I'd update the "equipment" in my profile.

I realised I've come a long way in the space of 3 months from just an old manor kestrel and a midland portapack 👍😁

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 40
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 4:28 pm

Tried for nearly an hour to get through to Namibia on 10m. Failed. Persistence doesn't always payoff. But I'll try just as long and hard if I hear them again Smile

Went up in loft and elevated the homemade 2m j-pole by about 60cm. That's the highest I can get it now without it poking through a roof ridge vent. I do keep looking up at those vents each time I go up there, I am sure it is only a matter of time before I make use of those little gaps in someway Laughing

Now I should do a little housework before my wife comes home and shoots me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://station-master.online/M7TDV
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 6:50 pm

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 7:19 pm

Will stick to radio myself.
Well on this forum i will.
The other 3 forums i go on daily are about cars BMW cars at that witch i own 2 of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 7:43 pm

Last edited by Wireless on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 8:59 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Will stick to radio myself.
Well on this forum i will.
The other 3 forums i go on daily are about cars BMW cars at that witch i own 2 of.

I hate my BMW 🤣

Wireless likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2022 9:08 pm

I'm pretty sure you can find the most tenuous of links where possible Wayne as you have demonstrated on many occasions.

I have done my very best to accommodate your 'other' interests within the forum and hence several 'prompts' as well as attempts to get pertaining subject material back on track made not only by myself but by other members also.

Yet you still insist on making as many 'off-topic' postings whenever you can.

If I could just remind you of the forum rules :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t2-charlie-tango-forum-rules

It is very plainly written within the forum rules and I quote :-

"if it is clear that a user has no intention of positively contributing to Radio discussions, combined with an abrasive and combative attitude, their account will be deleted."

Providing the weakest of links to your chosen interest fields does not excuse such postings especially when they are made almost constantly in a way to almost 'prove a point' and tip-toe around the forum rules.

So please, for heavens sake, let's just keep it as radio orientated as you can manage and make postings in a positive manner that either provide radio interest for other members or else in such a manner as to help other Charlie Tango members.

None of us mind the odd bit of 'off-topic' conversation as it's perfectly natural to do so and the admin/mods will let such manners 'slide' on many occasions. Only when such postings are persistent, argumentative or combative will action ever be taken.

One last quote from the forum rules is :-

"MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATORS HAVE THE FINAL WORD"

So this will be the last 'prompt' made with no further discussions or arguments on the matter.

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2022 11:00 am

Yesterday I was getting swamped with adverts on here and the "create post" option kept resetting 🤔🤷
Seems ok today.

Anyway I've fetched my old manor kestrel to try out, and apart from lack of power 😁 it sounds very good on receive, and got good reports on transmit.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2022 2:22 pm

Hi Nige,

Not sure what's been happening regards the 'create post' button but I know that we have no control over the adverts due to the forum host. Seems OK for now so perhaps the hosts were updating or something.

I've got to admit that there is often just a special 'something' about certain radios and I'm sure that your Manor Kestrel is no different.

There was always the arguments regards Cybernet/Uniden chassis nonsense and akin to tribal thinking as much as Nike/Reebok choices. Wink

I've done a pretty similar thing myself recently after suffering the "peep-poop" sounds of the GB3PI repeater through the tinny speaker of my old Yeasu FT290r and even my newer Ailunce HD1 handy. So I dug out my old 1970's Yeasu FT270ra, wired it up to the bit of garden cane and wire in the loft, (surprisingly fabulous homemade dual 5/8ths or EDZ), and now enjoying glorious audio where everyone's voice sounds natural.

You'd think it was a 'nostalgia' trip or something, that 'rose tinted' view with vintage equipment and electronics......

Yet the speaker in that old radio isn't much bigger than the others but what a sound!
Full tonality making it a pleasure to use without a blasting 'peep-poop'. (Confirmed by analysing the audio from each radio to see why....no 'mids' or 'lows' on one and lacking 'highs' and 'lows' on the other!)

Often even an external speaker still doesn't quite do it....

There just something special about certain radios.

Glad you're enjoying yours Nige. What ya doing? - Page 4 1f44d 

(I always liked the old Stalker IX and one of the admin team, John, won't part with his!! Very Happy )

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2022 8:48 pm

Yes Victor there was something special about turning a rig on from back in the day and getting a contact.
It was even more rewarding to hear a good sound coming through and getting a good report.

I have a shopping list of more kit to buy too 👍😁

Ps,
Oh them old power meters are magical and something of a sight to behold 😁

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2022 6:55 am

Ha! Ha! Very Happy

There's always a 'shopping list' when it comes to the radio 'interest' Nige.

I'm just glad I repaired or built a lot of my equipment or the missus would've murdered me in my sleep a long time ago!

Yep, analogue meters always get me and I don't half miss those beautiful round ones on my old Madison.

You keep enjoying yourself there Nige, it's what radio and importantly life should all be about. What ya doing? - Page 4 1f44d

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What ya doing?   What ya doing? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What ya doing?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: