Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» EU conditions have started
Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeToday at 8:52 am by babis3g

» What to expect?
Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeToday at 6:08 am by Drjekyll

» FREQUENCY CHART GUIDE
Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:12 pm by Chickenfoot@1987

» Call sign request (Issued)
Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:50 pm by babis3g

» Call sign request (Issued)
Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:34 am by Dogman

» 11m Challenge Scores Only
Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2022 11:06 pm by Sydthecat

» new call sign request (Issued)
Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2022 5:04 pm by Andrew J B

» What would you do?
Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2022 4:38 pm by Marc

» SS9900 V4 Frequency
Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2022 1:53 pm by 13oots2

Keywords
lincoln 2022 sign Mckinley anytone call ALINCO Baofeng radio callsign yaesu division Sirio list ss9900 frequency Mobile antenna president power chart SS6900 9900 display Calling 6900
QRZ Database

Help sourcing crystals

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
grizz123

Call Sign : 163-CT-332
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Rhyl
Equipment Used : Concorde 2

Help sourcing crystals Empty
PostSubject: Help sourcing crystals   Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 5:11 pm

I used to have crystals specially made for me by Quartzlab at about £12 each.  However they retired last year and sold the business to a Belgium firm who now charges about £60, which would get quite expensive for experimenting or adding/changing say 2 banks of channels to a rig.  Surely, there must be other manufacturers out there?  I just can't find them.  Can anyone help?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 256
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Help sourcing crystals   Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 8:22 pm

Hi Darran,

I was trying to source crystals a while back and came across a similar situation where crystal manufacturers had ceased trading and for those that were left it was pretty darned expensive.

I was recommended the following site by a fellow Ham :-

http://www.krystaly.cz/en/

I haven't personally used them but it looks like they can accommodate a wide range of crystal devices. Unfortunately as I haven't used them I have no idea of prices but it may be worth a punt.

Of course it's all DDS (Direct Digital Synthesis) nowadays so hardly surprising lack of demand threw everything down the toilet. I still like a good old piece of quartz but then I'm an old fart too! Wink

If you get on with them or find a better idea of prices I know I for one would appreciate anything you find out.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
grizz123

PostSubject: Re: Help sourcing crystals   Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 1:12 am

Hi Victor.

Thanks for that.  I've just winged them an email.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
grizz123

PostSubject: Re: Help sourcing crystals   Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 8:48 pm

Hi Victor,

As promised, I emailed Krystaly and after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing getting some specs other than the frequency back to him (freq tolerance, stability, operating temp range, load type and capacitance), I placed the order costing me 12 euros for the crystal and 8 euros shipping (£17 total at the time) on the 4th August.  

I received shipping notification on the 21st September and 7 days later, the 19.880 crystal arrived this morning safely packed in a bag, bubble bag, a A6 postal box and jiffy envelope.

I have tested it quickly by swapping the Lo band crystal (well mid band/FCC/Cept) in my Concorde 2.  VCO didn't need adjusting, it appears to transmit and receive on frequency across to my FT857d.  When I get my work space back, I'll put the Concorde 2 on a frequency counter and also check the output power is similar to the other bands.

My goal is to remove the Hi band (27.865 - 28.305), shift the other 2 crystals up and put the new 19.880 into the Lo band socket, alter the wiring on the switch so 41-80 display moves with the relevant  crystal (now Hi position) and utilise the Hi LED for the new Lo band (-40)

I have a poorly Concorde 3 which has had a bigger band switch and expander board added and wires/traces cut.  I have a suitable switch from a scrap (a sad word) Concorde 1.  When I get the time, I'll try and get it back to how it first was and order the missing crystals from Krystaly.

Whilst I was initially waiting for Krystaly to get back to me, I approached someone else who quoted me £108 for pne crystal, so I definitely think Krystaly will be my first choice.

Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 256
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Help sourcing crystals   Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2022 6:21 am

Hi Darran,

That is excellent news and I thank you for taking the time to provide feedback by posting your experiences.

Krystaly are obviously deserving of the recommendation and with such professionalism as well as great prices you experienced surely should be held in high esteem. Their reputation will be kept in high regard if we share such success stories to others trying to source crystals for similar radio restorations.

I'm always amazed as well as impressed with individuals who pursue their radio passions by enthusiastically restoring radio equipment so also wish you many congratulations with your efforts on your Ham International Concorde radios.

The latter extremely high price you were quoted from another manufacturer/supplier is similar to what I experienced (£80 + VAT!) whilst trying to source a CW crystal for my old Yaesu FT757gx. At least now I know restoring that section is achievable at a reasonable price.

Many thanks once again and I hope that others glean useful information from what has been posted here. I for one am very grateful to you for sharing your experiences.

All the very best to you,
Victor

grizz123 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help sourcing crystals   Help sourcing crystals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help sourcing crystals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Information and Guides-
Jump to: