Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» MARKO Excalibur MK-2 AM/FM/SSDE
Searching for DX Icon_minitimeToday at 8:39 am by Ian2468

» Antenna at ddusk
Searching for DX Icon_minitimeToday at 8:21 am by Sydthecat

» Callsighn request
Searching for DX Icon_minitimeToday at 1:06 am by mw3wqz

» New call sign please
Searching for DX Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:48 pm by Kenpo

» 11m Challenge Scores Only
Searching for DX Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:23 pm by Sydthecat

» silver rod swr
Searching for DX Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:04 pm by skyrider

» 11m conditions
Searching for DX Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:17 pm by glenn dog

» South Coast PMR net report
Searching for DX Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:38 am by Razz229

» SS9900 V4 Frequency
Searching for DX Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:08 am by Alan Pilot

Keywords
division SS6900 Calling power 6900 antenna sign 2022 yaesu ss9900 Baofeng list 9900 Mckinley radio lincoln call ALINCO president callsign anytone chart frequency Mobile Sirio display
QRZ Database

Searching for DX

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony1091

Call Sign : 26-CT-4488
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Altrincham
Equipment Used : CB / PMR

Searching for DX Empty
PostSubject: Searching for DX   Searching for DX Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2022 7:23 pm

I am looking to get out mobile (static mobile) over the coming weeks and months to increase my odds of getting some contacts. Once I have settled on a good spot to park up the next question is what antenna to run. I have a T2LT and a 9m telescopic pole however it isn't exactly a subtle set up and will draw quite a bit of attention. Setting up and pulling down naturally takes longer than a simple mobile antenna on the roof. 
I have also found a great multistorey carpark where the takeoff looks fantastic in nearly all directions, I don't think the T2LT will be an option there though.

My question - is setting up the T2LT really worth the effort over a good magmount such as the Tank Whip or Modulator? If performance is near enough the same I would be tempted to get one of these on the roof to save a little time and effort if nothing more. Of course, if my potential range is down 10-20% then there is an argument the effort is worth while. 

Hoping someone who runs both set ups can advise of the advantages / disadvantages of both and whether in their opinion it is worthwhile buying the above mentioned mobile antennas?

Thanks all.

Tony

Victor, Chickenfoot@1987 and Jester555 like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 32
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Searching for DX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Searching for DX   Searching for DX Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2022 11:16 pm

If the mobile antennas are 5-6ft long or more just stick with those. To get any meaningful gain you want to be going horizontal/inverted V dipole using the 9m telescopic pole as a support for the dipole centre.

Victor, SangueG and Chickenfoot@1987 like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 40
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

Searching for DX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Searching for DX   Searching for DX Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 7:10 am

I would go with Conor's advice. You'd certainly attract attention erecting a T2LT on a pole on top the car park.

Checking the topo maps I can see you are not in an area that has any significant high ground without a 20+ mile drive, so top of a multi storey car park probably seems like a great idea for a location. Just be aware you might have some urban noise there and also sometimes other services use the top of these places for their radio transmitters and repeaters so be careful to to cause interference to them.

Without waffling too much OT, you didn't say what sort of DX you're looking for. If you want to try for some euro skip you don't really need to be high. If you can drive just a couple of miles out into the open away from the built up area you chances of some action should be pretty good.

Victor, Chickenfoot@1987 and Jester555 like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://station-master.online/M7TDV
Tony1091

Call Sign : 26-CT-4488
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Altrincham
Equipment Used : CB / PMR

Searching for DX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Searching for DX   Searching for DX Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2022 8:18 am

Thank you both for your replies. Apologies the title of the thread was very vague (not deliberate). I suppose DX being long distance contacts the longer the better however, I would be more than happy with a long range ground wave contact here in the UK or going from my track record any contact will do 😆 As you have noted above I am some way from any reasonable high ground which makes the multi storey car park favourable as only 10 minutes from me. That said I would be open to a drive out to some high ground when time allows. Dragged into town with the missus and stumbled across the car park, had to drive to the top to see what it was like, I was suitably impressed. Always on the look out for a good perch somewhere! haha
Thanks as always for the replies.

73s

Tony

Chickenfoot@1987 and Jester555 like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
G7JDH

Call Sign : ct2678 g7jdh
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : doncaster
Equipment Used : ranger 2950

Searching for DX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Searching for DX   Searching for DX Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2022 8:30 pm

Check YouTube for al 26tc101 , he uses both and also runs a shack in a block of flats , best of luck from ct2678 g7jdh

Chickenfoot@1987 and Tony1091 like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 32
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Searching for DX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Searching for DX   Searching for DX Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2022 1:09 pm

Tony1091 wrote:
As you have noted above I am some way from any reasonable high ground which makes the multi storey car park favourable as only 10 minutes from me. That said I would be open to a drive out to some high ground when time allows. 

Don't worry about the high ground for DX, it doesn't matter and if you're using a vertical antenna how high that antenna is off the floor doesn't make much difference either. With DX both your signal and the received signal is being bounced off the ionosphere so how high you are off the ground has little effect. Even if you're in a valley, unless it's a narrow one with very high sides all round you'll work DX. 

Height only matters really for local contacts, the higher you are the further you'll get. 

To give you an idea if conditions are likely to be more favourable than not go to QRZ.com and on their front page is a solar report. What you're interested in is the number for the SFI and the K number. The higher the SFI the better the propogation on the higher frequencies...150+ and it'll be booming in. K the lower the figure the better. When it starts to get to 4 you'll hear very little, by the time it reaches 5 you'll be wondering if there's a problem with your antenna or you plugged it in.

On that solar report is a handy HF conditions table at the bottom...concentrate on the 10-12m as that covers CB too. Whilst even if it says poor that doesn't mean there's no chance of DX when it says good you'll be hard pushed to be anywhere in the UK where you won't hear any.

G7JDH, Chickenfoot@1987 and Tony1091 like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Searching for DX Empty
PostSubject: Re: Searching for DX   Searching for DX Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Searching for DX
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: