Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m winter challenge
Set up new shack Icon_minitimeToday at 5:34 pm by Kaosss

» Sorry to be a pain!
Set up new shack Icon_minitimeToday at 5:08 pm by Baldrik

» Foundation Exam - PASSED!!!
Set up new shack Icon_minitimeToday at 4:44 pm by Mick Lake

» 11m Challenge Scores Only
Set up new shack Icon_minitimeToday at 3:45 pm by Chickenfoot@1987

» Newbie call sign Application (Issued)
Set up new shack Icon_minitimeToday at 2:59 pm by Leigh Rogers

» Two Antennas and Radio Damage Question
Set up new shack Icon_minitimeToday at 6:57 am by Alan Pilot

» Sirio 2016
Set up new shack Icon_minitimeToday at 6:52 am by Alan Pilot

» HF Radios---No Idea!
Set up new shack Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by Alan Pilot

» Success at last!
Set up new shack Icon_minitimeToday at 12:57 am by TheReverend

Keywords
radio 9900 anytone 6900 display power list division chart ALINCO callsign sign SS6900 antenna yaesu 2022 Mobile call lincoln Baofeng president frequency Mckinley Sirio Calling ss9900
QRZ Database

Set up new shack

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul1963

Call Sign : 26-CT-4612
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Edenbridge kent
Equipment Used : CRT SS6900N,kenwood 440s

Set up new shack Empty
PostSubject: Set up new shack   Set up new shack Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 5:00 pm

Have recently moved to a new house with a nice garage at the end of the garden I intend to set up in the , have a few questions
1-my hf radio is a Ts440s been in a box for around 8 years hopefully it will still work do I unbox it and plug in or let it sit for awhile
2- the garage is roughly 20 ft by 8 with a pitched roof at the highest point around 10 foot thinking of using a small g5rv or a long wire 
Only doing it this way for the moment as I don’t want to full out with the new noughbours
Gratefull for any help

Regards
Paul

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 253
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Set up new shack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up new shack   Set up new shack Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 6:37 pm

Hi Paul,

Great to hear about your plans for a new shack, always exciting to do such stuff!

There'll be more than plenty that will probably 'advise' on the electrolytic capacitors in your radio with the usual "needs re-capping mate". My advice would be to completely, utterly and totally ignore such ass-gravy.

Honestly, I can even give you a million reasons why, point to technical documents and give first hand experience that after many decades of personal service both hobby and within the industry that it never needs doing. The exception to the rule can be filter capacitors in old power supplies, both linear and switched mode as well as high voltage circuitry or when some numpty has damaged the cans from lining them all up like little soldiers. Sometimes people have bunged them in old motors with faulty rectifier/regulator circuits, (my car battery keeps going flat scenario), whacking some higher voltages into radios. That usually occurs in CB's with cheap-as-chips bill of materials and seldom in ham gear.

So that's one worry out of the way.

However I would just as precaution power it up and then off again in case something is amiss. (No fuse popping - make sure it has the correct rated fuse!) Worth giving it a gentle rattle around first to make sure no screws or some such have come loose or dropped in a grille.

You might find that the internal Lithium battery has become flat after so many years of slumber and there are a load of details on the old internet of how to perform a change including some good videos. If uncertain of your skills it shouldn't cost much to have it serviced for such.

If you do have it serviced be prepared for the loads of bull regards realignment, it might need checking over or even a touch up but shouldn't cost a fortune. (Be aware of unscrupulous outlets that will offer you a 'scrap' value for it - the second hand price of such radios is still fairly high!)

If it was me I'd happily power it up and see how the old girl does. Set up new shack 1f44d

I have a radio from a slightly earlier time (Yaesu FT757gx) and had a heck of a time restoring it after it obviously had some extensive use with wear and tear (VFO dial etc.) It also didn't help that someone had used it for CB with everything that could be twiddled inside it maladjusted to the umpteenth degree!
Despite all that it was fairly much all there and I was glad to restore her.

Hopefully yours is much as you left it knowing it should work much as it did.

Antennas - a hot pot of any radio discussion.

Some will swear blind by the G5RV and others will spit with much venom about any so called failings with them. Some love end-feds being so easy to install but they can come with their own issues. I always say that any antenna is better than no antenna and that's certainly true if the antenna works for you.

Dipoles are easy and work great so long as you can get them high enough....but you could find yourself with a lot of them! (I had a multiband fan array to start with to cover each band I wanted.)

I now have a simple 44 foot doublet (dipole, two wires, whatever) with a homemade ATU due to the shortcomings of some commercial types that simply 'run-out-of-steam' where they can match some bands but not others. Small capacitor and inductors values can be to blame along with terrible 'baluns' or chokes of the typical 4:1 kludge-factor type. Despite this 'small' antenna I can work every band from 160m to 10m that my radio covers and happily getting digi-mode contacts as well as brief SSB QSO's.
(I don't talk much....not that it's obvious by my postings on the forum!)

The nice thing about it is that it's firmly hidden in my loft/attic space so not one neighbour sees it to make complaints that I'm interfering with their washing machine or whatever! Rolling Eyes

The most neighbourly thing you can ever do is have a chat with them whilst you're installing an external antenna making sure it isn't an eyesore or going to affect them in any way. If they come home from work one day and find you've hoofed up a dirty big tower to transmit to the cosmos they'll obviously have something to say. (Or probably complain behind your back to council officials or what not.)

Some might concern you with QRM woes with most of today's interference coming from everyone's electronic gadgets but it's also not as bad as some would make out. Usually it's your own gear on your own mains causing such interference so worth doing a mains power down and a battery run of the radio to see if it is actually you. (Cheap eBay mobile phone chargers and USB outlets were the bain of my life until I removed them all and told the missus to stop buying them!) Never forget that a lot of so called QRM is actually atmospheric noise and some bands can suffer more than others at times.

Anyway, before I waffle too much (too late Victor!) you've got a world of options to explore and discover.

I find myself excited for you as much as I immensely enjoyed setting up my 'station'. It's an awesome feeling especially if a good contact or QSO comes from your endeavours.

I wish you well with it all Paul and don't forget there are a lot of really helpful members here at Charlie Tango more than willing to provide input or help for you. So just you fire away any questions you may have and enjoy what you do.

Oh, and post pictures up or write postings of your progress should you wish as we all love nothing more than hearing about peoples radio adventures.

All the best to you,
Victor

Paul1963 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Paul1963

Set up new shack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up new shack   Set up new shack Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 7:29 pm

Hi victor 
Thank you for your feed back one of the last things I had repaired on the 440s was when I got the dreaded display problem with the green dots not sure where I would send it now if it needed a service the guy that fixed it last time has moved away
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 253
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Set up new shack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up new shack   Set up new shack Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 9:33 pm

Hi Paul,

The 'green dots' was a common issue on these radios usually attributed to the VCO units but other faults could produce the same signs. If you've had it fixed in the past hopefully they would have addressed any VCO issues at that time to not happen again. (Unpicked all the glue?)

I'm afraid I couldn't recommend a particular service centre or 'guy' for you as I repaired my own stuff. I don't repair for anyone else anymore due to lack of test equipment, disability and a lack of willingness for today's 'liability' culture and expensive insurance thereof!

My own restoration of my Yaesu was rather labour intensive overall and no service centre would touch it with a bargepole simply due to that fact.

It may be worth making a new posting on the forum asking others for recommendations.

Here's hoping you don't need it and the old girl fires up without problems.

All the best,
Victor

Paul1963 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Paul1963

Set up new shack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up new shack   Set up new shack Icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2022 10:07 pm

Yes going to fire it up Friday or Saturday see what happens
Regards
Paul

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 47
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Set up new shack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up new shack   Set up new shack Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2022 7:15 am

Hi Paul
What plans have you got regards the new shack.
Up till February this year my shack had lawn mowers and jet-was spades you know everything with a tiny space for me lol.
So i decided a new radio only shack was the way to go but the greenhouse had to go well it was boxing day i made the decision.
The rest is in this thread below so hope you start one of your setup.
 https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t3984-new-shack-on-the-way?highlight=new+shack

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 21
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a TYT TH-9800, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

Set up new shack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up new shack   Set up new shack Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 11:40 pm

Paul1963 wrote:
Yes going to fire it up Friday or Saturday see what happens
Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

How did the testing go, did it all work as it should?

Ray 2290

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Set up new shack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Set up new shack   Set up new shack Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Set up new shack
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-