Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Keywords
2022 6900 yaesu Baofeng frequency antenna display Mobile lincoln ALINCO president chart Sirio ss9900 Calling anytone SS6900 radio call power callsign list sign 9900 Mckinley division
QRZ Database

Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Uncle P
Uncle P

Call Sign : 26-CT-4640
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Prescot, Merseyside
Equipment Used : Little boxes wi' knobs on and big metal stick thingy

Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios. Empty
PostSubject: Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios.   Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2022 4:51 pm

Why do CB radio manufacturers still insist on fitting mono jack sockets to rigs. I'm sure it would be easy enough to fit stereo sockets and send the one signal to both ears instead of one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 253
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios.   Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2022 5:24 pm

I have a nice old set of headphones that has the "Mono/Stereo" switch on one of the earpieces so able to connect them to anything. (Included the 3.5mm/6.35mm adapter too.)

Bought them specifically to use with my radios....cheap unbranded tosh so limited audio bandwidth making radio listening much more pleasant. (Try listening to radio hash with full audiophile bass & treble!)

Most 'stereo' headphones have a much wider audio response and you'd start feeling like you were going deaf after a bit of radio listening.

Of course you could hook it all up to an audio rack system....boom mic....blah, blah, blah. Wink

Uncle P likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Uncle P
Uncle P

PostSubject: Re: Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios.   Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2022 5:41 pm

I have a set of metal detector headphones I want to try but sadly they are on a 1/4" stereo jack. I'm just gonna buy the parts and make an adapter myself. They have a limited range which I think may work well on the radio. They're good tight fitting ones too so no external noise problems.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 47
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios.   Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2022 5:55 pm

Think you can get adapter plug thingy's.
Sure my m8 up the mountain has one.

Chickenfoot@1987 and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 47
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios.   Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2022 5:56 pm

You can first one i found.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mono-3-5mm-Stereo-Socket-Adapter/dp/B000L1ORAC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3VYY9121Z90NG&keywords=stereo+to+mono+3.5&qid=1665075351&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=sterio+to+mono+3.5%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-4

Sydthecat, Victor, Chickenfoot@1987, Uncle P and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chickenfoot@1987
Major contributor
Major contributor
Chickenfoot@1987

Call Sign : 26-CT-4029
Times Thanked : 19
QTH or Location : London
Equipment Used : CRT 9900,6900N,xenon. 3 element yagi,Sigma Eurocomm AmPro and other bits and pieces

PostSubject: Re: Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios.   Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2022 11:31 pm

Stereo to mono adapter otherwise as I found out,You only get sound from one side of the headset if plugged directly into radio without one.

Uncle P likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 40
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios.   Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2022 8:32 am

You can pick up stereo to mono adapters for just pennies sometimes if you shop around. I have in the past just semi-inserted stereo jacks into mono sockets which works to get the desired effect of sound out of both speakers. It is possible to damage circuitry doing that, but I have not had any issues to date.

Chickenfoot@1987 and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://station-master.online/M7TDV
Uncle P
Uncle P

PostSubject: Re: Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios.   Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2022 11:56 am

Thankyou Alan. I only buy from Amazon UK too. I scoured Amazon and never come across that. I am gonna buy that one as that will do for using some regular cheap headers. The adapter I really need is to adapt my metal detector headphones which has a 1/4" stereo jack. I think I will be better making a patch lead to be honest otherwise it wont all fit at the rear of the rig. So I need to buy a mono 3.5mm jack and a stereo 1/4" Socket. Some old stereo headphones lead should suffice for the rest. 

Thanks for the input guys

73's

Paul

Chickenfoot@1987 likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios.   Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mono headphone sockets on CB Radios.
Page 1 of 1