Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Advice.....?
CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» First dx in 40 plus years
CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 pm by John123

» 10m dxcc ......
CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 am by peewee norfolk

» Multimode mobile antenna
CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
6900 callsign antenna yaesu lincoln Mobile Baofeng 2023 anytone meter sign frequency call list power display software Sirio chart 9900 ss9900 2022 Mckinley supply president ALINCO
QRZ Database

CRTSS9900 channel selector issue

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TG064
TG064

Call Sign : 26-CT-4525 / M7CVK.
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Io91BI Nr Pewsey Wiltshire
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, Yaesu FT818nd T600 MP1 super antenna , Yaesu Ft65, Wouxun Kguv8g Icom 290e Diamond 770, 3 element yagi

CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Empty
PostSubject: CRTSS9900 channel selector issue    CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 6:51 pm

Hi I have an issue with my CRT SS 9900V4, the radio has performed faultlessly without any issues till this afternoon when the VFO locked up when rotating anti-clockwise I was able to move clockwise but it felt rough and isn’t selecting correctly now,  I have contacted the supplier and am awaiting a response, I have seen comments regarding the channel selector not being accurate and skipping frequencies which I could live with but complete failure after 6 months is a worry. Anyone had to return a unit due to this issue? As I have said the radio has performed fantastically I know it’s a cheap radio but bang for buck I have been more than pleased with its performance.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: CRTSS9900 channel selector issue    CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 10:19 pm

Hi Tony,

Rotary encoders.....seemingly the bane of any radio enthusiasts life nowadays. Give me a good old tuning capacitor any day of the week. Wink

Obviously if it's not working and feeling rough then it's well had it! Just be grateful that it's happened in the warranty period. (I think 2 years for CRT products?) I hope your supplier can accommodate you well and honour the guarantee for you.

Some people never have issues with them but others suffer abysmally.

Then again my missus can seemingly destroy tap washers at an alarming rate with her 'dainty' little hands leaving me constantly fixing dripping taps. Rolling Eyes (Always screwed down hard like a submarine hatch....Why?!) Obviously I wouldn't let her touch any of my precious radios!

The quip at the start is because I have a valve radio nearly 75 years old that still has a silky smooth tuning. An almost 50 year old 2m rig built like a tank with huge springs and bearing balls still operates perfectly today. Took nearly 40 years for my HF rig VFO to finally give up the ghost and luckily I was able to restore it. A similar aged 2m rig although requiring repair still has an encoder that works fine and luckily I have another spare if it ever becomes an issue.

A less than two year old Ailunce DMR handy gives me nightmares just thinking about the hop-skip-and-jump rotary encoder so I just use the keypad up/down buttons instead! Very Happy

Progress eh?

So you have my sympathies that you've only managed six months.

Then again even if I fulfilled my dream of a Ham rig with a variable capacitor tuning dial there's bound to be someone ruin it all for me by happily exclaiming that I'm "off frequency"......even if they've just tuned to my CQ call.

I hope you get sorted and your supplier helps you out. CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

(Forgive my 'waffle', I seemingly can't help myself. Wink )

Sharpshooter and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
TG064
TG064

Call Sign : 26-CT-4525 / M7CVK.
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Io91BI Nr Pewsey Wiltshire
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, Yaesu FT818nd T600 MP1 super antenna , Yaesu Ft65, Wouxun Kguv8g Icom 290e Diamond 770, 3 element yagi

PostSubject: Re: CRTSS9900 channel selector issue    CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 10:34 pm

Cheers Victor, 
I have seen some comments about them on the various sites, seems a common complaint across the model range and to be honest it’s not been that good since day one, one of the lads local gifted me a Icom 290e which is still lovely the radio must be over 25 years old now god knows how many times that’s been spun round, stuffs not built to last nowadays. From comments the company are good and will honour the exchange. I will update when they contact me.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: CRTSS9900 channel selector issue    CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 10:49 pm

No worries there Tony and good to hear that the supplier should be able to help you out.

The Icom IC-290e, lovely 2m SSB radio and actually some 40 years old! Great gift.
(2m could be a great band with more SSB activity instead of all this channelised FM CTCSS tone encoded repeater nonsense. Wink )

Would be great to keep us updated on the forum with your progress as it may well help others. CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  1f44d

73's
Victor
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: CRTSS9900 channel selector issue    CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2022 11:17 pm

Victor wrote:
Hi Tony,

Rotary encoders.....seemingly the bane of any radio enthusiasts life nowadays. Give me a good old tuning capacitor any day of the week. Wink

Obviously if it's not working and feeling rough then it's well had it! Just be grateful that it's happened in the warranty period. (I think 2 years for CRT products?) I hope your supplier can accommodate you well and honour the guarantee for you.

Some people never have issues with them but others suffer abysmally.

Then again my missus can seemingly destroy tap washers at an alarming rate with her 'dainty' little hands leaving me constantly fixing dripping taps. Rolling Eyes (Always screwed down hard like a submarine hatch....Why?!) Obviously I wouldn't let her touch any of my precious radios!

The quip at the start is because I have a valve radio nearly 75 years old that still has a silky smooth tuning. An almost 50 year old 2m rig built like a tank with huge springs and bearing balls still operates perfectly today. Took nearly 40 years for my HF rig VFO to finally give up the ghost and luckily I was able to restore it. A similar aged 2m rig although requiring repair still has an encoder that works fine and luckily I have another spare if it ever becomes an issue.

A less than two year old Ailunce DMR handy gives me nightmares just thinking about the hop-skip-and-jump rotary encoder so I just use the keypad up/down buttons instead! Very Happy

Progress eh?

So you have my sympathies that you've only managed six months.

Then again even if I fulfilled my dream of a Ham rig with a variable capacitor tuning dial there's bound to be someone ruin it all for me by happily exclaiming that I'm "off frequency"......even if they've just tuned to my CQ call.

I hope you get sorted and your supplier helps you out. CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

(Forgive my 'waffle', I seemingly can't help myself. Wink )

Yes Victor, my kitchen tap has again succumbed, like my electric window switches on s car I borrowed to my mrs. Etc Etc. 🙄

You have to be careful what you say these days though as women are the future 👍🏼

Brilliant, if we have a flat tyre whilst out in the pouring rain at night, I'll sit in the car crying whilst she changes the wheel 👍🤣
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: CRTSS9900 channel selector issue    CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2022 6:20 am

With two daughters and five granddaughters Nige they definitely are my future. Wink

(My sole grandson is both a big and a little brother for his siblings loving life.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CRTSS9900 channel selector issue    CRTSS9900 channel selector issue  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CRTSS9900 channel selector issue
Page 1 of 1